IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Problem with Joe Z Exhaust install !! Help!!

Old 04-24-15, 12:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Problem with Joe Z Exhaust install !! Help!!

Yet had the dealer call me and tell me that the shop foreman says that the mid section on my exhaust has a defect or issue with the exhaust hangers on the mid section. I went down to look at it and this is what I found. Looks like the positioning of the hanger is not lining up with the oem hanger. Now they just put the hanger in between the hanger on the exhaust and the hanger on the car so they don't hit and make noise. They said I would have to take it to a muffler shop and see if they can cut I the hanger off and modify it to hang from both sides. They said if I cut one of the hangers off it will only be hanging from one side and could have the hanger stretch and the exhaust hang lower. Right now it's maybe 1/4" -1/2" too low.

I have to admit after paying the extra money on the joe z over the Borla I'm not happy. This sucks to have issues with a new unit and then have to modify it to fit and its the pricier of the units.

JOE Z I NEED YOU TO CHIME IN. This is what it looks like . HELP!! What should I do??

UPDATE : THIS WAS 100% INSTALL ERROR BY A SHOP FOREMAN . THIS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE UNIT. JUST A CASE OF INSTALLER NOT READING INSTRUCTIONS . MOD IN JAPAN AND JOEZ ARE AMAZING !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Problem with Joe Z Exhaust install !! Help!!-image-2802423501.png  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-24-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 12:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

ughhh to add insult to injury his PM box is full. I cant even PM the dude who makes the damn thing
Old 04-24-15, 01:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Number One - You should be at a good muffler (exhaust) shop. Someone who knows what they are doing, not the dealer.

Lou
Old 04-24-15, 01:31 PM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I took my isf to a shop and they showed me the same issue with my joez exhaust. The hangars are offset and flipping one of the hangers rubber guides does not fit. So i am hanging with just one at the mid section but it is pretty sturdy and have no issues yet?
Old 04-24-15, 01:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

UNFORTUNATLEY - This is an installation error in the making...

The drivers side hanger needs to be INSTALLED & flipped up 180 degrees.. and the MID PIPE fits perfectly..

The hanger needs to be installed on the car & pipe.

Have them unbolt the axle sections to correct their mistake..

This system has been selling for over 7 years.. We didn't start making them different..

Does your Lexus Dealership Shop foreman need a call directly from ME ??

Regards,

Joe Z
Old 04-24-15, 01:38 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, you need to calm down big guy. You have proven time and again on this forum that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to modifications and/or maintenance on this car. It is arrogant of you to start a thread in an angered "tone" concerning this install when not one person who has this exhaust (including myself) has experienced an issue.

And to make it worse, it's not even you who is doing the damn install; which, btw, might be one of the easiest installs known to man. I installed this exhaust with my buddy in a little over an hour with ZERO issues. Whoever you brought it to is an imbecile for screwing it up.

Oh yeah - Joe Z answered your question so you can stop crying now.
Old 04-24-15, 01:52 PM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

Default Thankyou Joe

Originally Posted by Joe Z

The drivers side hanger needs to be INSTALLED & flipped up 180 degrees.. and the MID PIPE fits perfectly..

This system has been selling for over 7 years.. We didn't start making them different..

Regards,

Joe Z
Thanks for the clarification, i will get this fixed and should be good!! If i had my own lift, i would had done it myself. I took the easy route and now i have to get done right. Again thank you, your system is rock on awesome.
Old 04-24-15, 02:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

^^ Sorry for the late post... Walked away to call the Dealership & Tech to assist them through a live fix for "I8ABMR"

Originally Posted by AggieOne
I took my isf to a shop and they showed me the same issue with my joez exhaust. The hangars are offset and flipping one of the hangers rubber guides does not fit. So i am hanging with just one at the mid section but it is pretty sturdy and have no issues yet?
Another installer error...

This Exhaust only goes ON ONE way... If its NOT fitting even and properly...
Then they are doing it wrong..

Joe Z

I just whipped this up for you.....

• Step 1 – Put car on lift and let exhaust fully cool down.

• Step 2 – Once cooled, spray some wd40 on front flange bolts (4) and rear flange bolts (2).

• Step 3 – Loosen plastic under panels to remove underbody brace.

• Step 4 – Remove both underbody braces.

• Step 5 – Exhaust should be 100% cool now. With proper Toyota / Lexus O2 sensor removal tool, break free the O2 sensors and then remove the sensors by hand.. No lubricants should be needed since your car is new. If its older, you may need to lubricate the oem nuts & bolts.. Let O2 sensors hang down.

• Step 6 – Spray Wd40 on the 4 silicone hangers holding the oem exhaust.

• Step 7 – Remove the rear exhaust spring bolts from flange.

• Step 8 – Pull off rear oem exhaust section.

• Step 9 – Place exhaust lift on mid pipe and remove 4 bolts that hold front exhaust section to flanges.

• Step 10 – Pull off entire front-mid oem exhaust section.

• Step 11 – Install new X-pipe section. Reuse 4 oem bolts and 2 oem crush gaskets. Make sure the flanges and gaskets are properly aligned and flush to avoid leaks.
    If OEM gaskets are older or worn or over crushed.... You will need TWO new ones Part # 90917-06078

• Step 12 – Spray wd40 on 2 middle silicone hangers again. Plus the driver’s side hanger will need to be flipped upward 180 degrees.

• Step 13 - Install new mid pipe section with dual resonators. Use 2 new gaskets supplied and 4 new bolts supplied, to connect to X-pipe.

• Step 14 – Spray wd40 on 2 rear silicone hangers again.

• Step 15 – Install new driver’s side axle section first. Use 1 new gasket supplied and 2 new bolts.

• Step 16 – Install new passenger side axle section last. Use 1 new gasket supplied and 2 new bolts.

• Step 17 – Double check all areas for proper clearance and double check all nuts and bolts are properly secure & tightened.

• Step 18 – Make O2 sensor wiring 100% straight. Now before re-installing O2 sensors, the sensors and wires will need to be wound back (counter clockwise) 2 ¾ turns. So that once it’s screwed back in by hand, the wiring will not be kinked and/or wound up.
    Use O2 sensor tool to finally tighten sensor.

• Step 19 – Now is a good time to start up the F and quick check for leaks at all gasket locations. If there is any turn off car, wait for cool down and make the necessary adjustments.

• Step 20 – Once all has been verified with install. Reinstall underbody braces and plastic panels.

• Step 21 – Drive it like you stole it.. !!!

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-24-15 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 02:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21
You have proven time and again on this forum that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to modifications and/or maintenance on this car. It is arrogant of you to start a thread in an angered "tone" concerning this install when not one person who has this exhaust (including myself) has experienced an issue.

You have verbalized what I have been trying to convey for some time now

And just to add a bit more - If I were an aftermarket manufacturer of an automotive enhancement, Mr. or is it Dr. I8ABMR would be on my Do Not Sell To List.

Lou
Old 04-24-15, 02:20 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

^^^ Guys its OK.... Take it easy..!!!

Not everyone "knows cars"... Even techs...

Unfortunately the dealer tech could not visualize how to manipulate the hangers..
They assumed it worked "like oem". That wasn't the case...

Once I got them a few step backwards, they were able to quickly fix the issue and should be just about done with the install by now..

Problem easily solved

Joe Z
Old 04-24-15, 02:42 PM
cciepunk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Sorry for the late post... Walked away to call the Dealership & Tech to assist them through a live fix for "I8ABMR"

Joe Z

Now that is customer service at it's best. Thanks for the instructions Joe Z and the OEM gasket part numbers. I will print this up for my install next week.
Old 04-24-15, 02:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flowrider
Number One - You should be at a good muffler (exhaust) shop. Someone who knows what they are doing, not the dealer.

Lou
You are 100% right

we have the same issue.

Regards,

Joe Z
Joe is 100% right it was the shop tech not reading the directions. He actually said funny that this thing didnt come with directions.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK JOE Z FOR AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE AND MOD IN JAPAN AS WELL. I AM BLOWN AWAY BY THE SERVICE

Originally Posted by Reaper21
First of all, you need to calm down big guy. You have proven time and again on this forum that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to modifications and/or maintenance on this car. It is arrogant of you to start a thread in an angered "tone" concerning this install when not one person who has this exhaust (including myself) has experienced an issue.

And to make it worse, it's not even you who is doing the damn install; which, btw, might be one of the easiest installs known to man. I installed this exhaust with my buddy in a little over an hour with ZERO issues. Whoever you brought it to is an imbecile for screwing it up.

calm down little guy. You might be reading the "tone" wrong. I was just concerned like anyone would be. Thanks for the help though There is no angered tone. All I said was problem with joe z install please help. See what I mean by reading the tone wrong??

Thanks for the clarification, i will get this fixed and should be good!! If i had my own lift, i would had done it myself. I took the easy route and now i have to get done right. Again thank you, your system is rock on awesome.
its the same as mine was

Joe Z
THANKS AGAIN JOE Z !!!

Originally Posted by flowrider
You have verbalized what I have been trying to convey for some time now

And just to add a bit more - If I were an aftermarket manufacturer of an automotive enhancement, Mr. or is it Dr. I8ABMR would be on my Do Not Sell To List.

Lou
Oh Lou, you're always going to be Lou. Thats why we all love you lol and yeah its Dr I8ABMR . lol

^^^ Guys its OK.... Take it easy..!!!

Not everyone "knows cars"... Even techs...

Unfortunately the dealer tech could not visualize how to manipulate the hangers..
They assumed it worked "like oem". That wasn't the case...

Once I got them a few step backwards, they were able to quickly fix the issue and should be just about done with the install by now..

Problem easily solved

Joe Z
All I know is I had the shop foreman do it and he screwed it up. This was annoying because I was going out of town for my moms birthday and wanted everything set for when I return to get the car. Most people dont want to vacation with the thought in their mind that there is a issue when you return. Sorry ,but I was only trying to get someone to help me or point me in the right direction
Originally Posted by cciepunk
Now that is customer service at it's best. Thanks for the instructions Joe Z and the OEM gasket part numbers. I will print this up for my install next week.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-24-15 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 03:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Mods can close the thread . THIS WAS 100% INSTALL ERROR AND JOE Z UNITS SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY PROS AND EXHAUST SHOPS IDEALLY. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the help Joe Z and Mod in Japan. I am so thankful for your time and response. Also thanks to the rest for your input, especially redlineAZ who actually offered to swing by the dealer to look at the install for me.
Old 04-24-15, 03:23 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Mods can close the thread . THIS WAS 100% INSTALL ERROR AND JOE Z UNITS SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY PROS AND EXHAUST SHOPS IDEALLY. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the help Joe Z and Mod in Japan. I am so thankful for your time and response. Also thanks to the rest for your input, especially redlineAZ who actually offered to swing by the dealer to look at the install for me.
Not a problem..!!!

It was a pleasure speaking with you briefly...

Be sure to give the PTS Exhaust approx 1,000 miles to fully burn in!!!

Enjoy your short drive with it this evening..

Always happy to help.

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-24-15 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 03:48 PM
xaznx
Driver

Joe Z, I'm having my exhaust installed Monday as well, I'm hoping they don't have a problem with installation, but if so whats the best way to contact you if needed? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with Joe Z Exhaust install !! Help!!