IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Used E46 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 07:37 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used E46 M3?

I will be selling my BRZ soon, but have recently contemplated trading it in for a used E46 M3 with about 80-99K miles. It will not be a daily driver, and would prefer the SMG transmission. I know a lot of folks on this site are prior owners and am interested in your opinions. I was a former BMW owner (two older 3 series). Only had an issue with one of them. While driving home when I lived in Germany the car completely shut off during driving and I coasted to a stop. Scariest moment I have ever had while driving. Luckily it was at night and not many other cars on the road, but was on one of the most dangerous areas for driving in the local area.
Old 04-21-15, 08:22 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to have a 02 M3 SMG. When i bought it, it had 25k miles. Ran good with the schedule maintenance until it hit 77k miles. Needed a new SMG tranny. I was out of warranty and it cost me every $$$. Had it replaced and soon after that, my Vanos failed. My alternator soon failed and when it did, my whole speedometer had bright colorful lights like a christmas tree. Luckily it was just the alternator. It ran fine until i hit 102k miles. Been hearing clunking noises everytime it was in first gear. Again, took it back to dealership and they said it was obnormal but nothing wrong they could find. i drove it again for another 6k miles and the noise would clunk everytime it shifted and over bumpy roads. I took it back to the dealership where they held my car for 2 weeks. When i got the call stating my whole rear subframe was cracked beyond fixing and i needed a new one. I remember that cost being alone was $8k usd. After the dealership fixed it, i sold it and never then returned back to BMW.
Old 04-21-15, 08:51 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Damn, $8k? Maybe I'll just get a motorcycle. Each story like this further deters me.
Old 04-21-15, 08:58 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have not experienced it..., but on the m3forums/bimmerforums/E46fanatic; a few members were getting SMG failures. I have not met anyone with a blown SMG, and my area is densely populated with E46 M3s. But with SMG, you short yourself from going boost.

At the 80k mark, you'll probably be looking into the Vanos issue. There is also a subframe and waterpump issue. But a waterpump would have probably have been replaced at around 60K. Subframe is a custom fix that people do if they track or just want to address it.

If you buy from an enthusiast, I am sure there are some that have addressed all the common problems and did some preventative maintenance: DRVanos, Bushings, Subframe reinforcement, Waterpump replacement.. I would recommend buying from a reputed forum member. The m3 community is a bit more hands-on when it comes to their prev-maint.

If a car could have a 'rainy-day' fund, it would be an E36/46 M3. The worse thing I had was a dead fuel pump (90K) E36M3 and I was stranded 40miles away from home. But the constant shop visits to address common issues ahead of time, put a strain on my cashflow. There are also random bits that need 'replacing'; Flex-Disc, Bushings, Shocks (60K)..... But those were expected on any 'performance' car. But I think the ISF brakes are more expensive then the brake job on an E46, so thats a plus?

I heard the E90/92s are reliable. But my lessons brought me to a lexus

All things considered, E46M3 is easy to mod and fun to own. Steering is great, and the ride comfort is bearable (provided you don't have pot-holes). And if you are a DIY, you can save a bunch of costs since there is alot of DIY-guides. Read all the stickies: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Old 04-21-15, 09:02 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Also, you need to avoid stealerships to avoid messing up your mortgage. And you'll have rattling/squeeking at the 100K mark.
Old 04-21-15, 09:11 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Good info, thanks.
Old 04-21-15, 09:40 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

I had a 2006 M3 manual. It was a perfect car. But you have to maintain it properly and learn to do it your self. Lots of issues with the smg. Can be costly if things go wrong. You need to have it inspected and be prepared for unexpected repairs.
Old 04-21-15, 09:58 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Do not buy an m3 smg.
That's all I can say.
Also I will add, why would you when you could get a true manual?
I was torn apart between an 04 m3 and 08 evo...I went with the evo, but both cars had equal merits.
Old 04-21-15, 10:02 AM
VDODSON
Driver

Have not driven a manual in twenty years, prefer automatics.
Old 04-21-15, 10:44 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VDODSON
Have not driven a manual in twenty years, prefer automatics.
SMG comes with the risk of users who abuse the launch-control.
Old 04-21-15, 11:16 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
SMG comes with the risk of users who abuse the launch-control.
While that is true, since ownership of my M3, i never used it and my SMG tranny still failed. I don't drive it hard often and never tracked it. However, it was my daily and my pride cracked after so much $$$ was use to fix it.
Old 04-21-15, 12:09 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Family owned a 06 carbon black m3 with imola red interior (SMG) I think this is probably one of the best cars I've driven in terms of driving and the fun factor. I've driven a 458 and a GTR on the track too but the e46 has a place in my heart. Everything about the car is so solid. We had the car up to 120k miles and sold it due to it just sitting there but I wish we kept it, trying to find a good condition e46 m3 right now it hard! AKA BUY THE M3! Maintenance is typical BMW maintenance where you get screwed with everything lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-21-15, 01:08 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My buddy has an E46 M3 in white, manual. One of my favorite M's, besides the 1M.
Old 04-21-15, 01:45 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
My buddy has an E46 M3 in white, manual. One of my favorite M's, besides the 1M.
The 1M is only an M due to its chassis. There is nothing else M about it!
Guiltily, it's my second favorite "M" car (I just like the way it looks)
Old 04-21-15, 03:24 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

As you can see on my sig, I have an older BMW.It has about 110k on it. I have replaced the cooling system , oil separation sys, valve cover (cracked), rear springs control arms, 3 sets of front axles & front hub. Now I am looking at tie rod ends, 3rd set of control arm bushings and sub frame bushings. I'm not even sure it's worth it at this point.

Quick Reply: Used E46 M3?