IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Check Engine light Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 11:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The engineers actually know something.....and every now and then they even spend a few pennies on research. LOL The headers absolutely add flow but its because they primarily removed the primary cats as well as a mild increase in the flow of gasses. The issue is heat melting the wiring and harnesses . This means there is a design issue if it is difficult to install in a manner that prevents this. Do they add power ? Hell yeah! Can it do it 100% of the time for every car and never throw a code? Hell NO.

In the end each owner has to make the decision for themselves. Is it worth the possible issue? Do I have faith in the installer? and even the design of the headers for that matter? For most of us its the noise mainly. For me I just dont want any issues with my car. My buddy RedlineAZ had his done by PPE ( here in AZ) and did it there because he figured who else would be able to install them better and make sure all was insulated. Low and behold he had the CEL too and like everyone else just returned for the repair and reinsulation and all is well. But when someone says its install error, so what the argument for my friend RedlineAZs issue ?? ( This is my experience Lou. Went through it with a friends F who had the install here at PPE. Do you have any comments buddy ?? Kind of curious what you think in this case). I can only imagine how many CELS would pop up if I had headers . With all the track days those damn pipes would get so hot it would melt anything. I have burned my hand on the floor of my trunk after getting off the track and immediately trying to put my spare in. Imagine how hot the headers would be if the mufflers heated the floor of the trunk enough for me to burn my hand ? Id say hot enough to melt any hidden and insulated harness. In the end I will never know unless I try but I dont need the headache, although I will admit the JoeZ exhaust with the PPE headers sounded insane !!
And the uneducated drivel continues. Since the install of my o2 conditioner, I have NEVER had a cell and either has my local friend.. You know how hot it gets in our neck of the woods. And I do drive aggressively.

You can do what the heck you want, makes no nevermind to me, but when you go around spreading falsehoods, that gets my back up.

You seem to take every opportunity to spread your ****-and-bull stories whenever you get the chance and most of the time with no provocation.

PPE has posted here what the OPs CEL is related to. They have done the research, and unlike you, know what they are talking about.

Yes, if not installed properly, headers will probably produce a cell. But, that's true with any engine modification, even the JoeZ exhaust your crowing about installing. BTW, Good Luck with your install.

But, I ask, please limit your postings to those topics you're familiar with, not those with which you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Lou
Old 04-24-15, 03:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
And the uneducated drivel continues. Since the install of my o2 conditioner, I have NEVER had a cell and either has my local friend.. You know how hot it gets in our neck of the woods. And I do drive aggressively.

You can do what the heck you want, makes no nevermind to me, but when you go around spreading falsehoods, that gets my back up.

You seem to take every opportunity to spread your ****-and-bull stories whenever you get the chance and most of the time with no provocation.

PPE has posted here what the OPs CEL is related to. They have done the research, and unlike you, know what they are talking about.

Yes, if not installed properly, headers will probably produce a cell. But, that's true with any engine modification, even the JoeZ exhaust your crowing about installing. BTW, Good Luck with your install.

But, I ask, please limit your postings to those topics you're familiar with, not those with which you have absolutely no knowledge of.

Lou
Lou you are right !!!!! After my mishap today I see very clearly how install error can make such a difference even parts simply bolt up. Ill shut up now . I apologize . My comments came from direct observation. It is different when you have to figure it out and see how small changes install steps make big differences in install outcome. I have admitted here manay time that I never work on my cars. I always pay someone to do it. For me I always assume the techs at Lexus are the best. Not true.
Old 04-24-15, 06:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Here's what I know and know well. If you modify the OEM harness, expect you will have problems. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually problems will crop up.

If you track your car, expect they will crop up sooner than later. I don't care what anyone says, the first thing you learn at the track is how slow street driving is, even when you "think" you drive hard. Along with that, everything gets hotter under track conditions. Hotter than you can imagine unless you have practical experience with track driving. I learned my lesson when I was 11 years old and touched the rear wheel on our 1/4 mile dirt track stock car an hour after it rolled into the pits. It still burned my hand. Even after hours of freeway driving at speeds in excess of 80 mph, my tires are not too hot to touch with a bare hand.

If it weren't for copyright issues, I would post the wire repair manual Toyota has on TIS. Unless you are certified to work on aircraft wiring, you would not believe the detail they require for any wire harness repair. Most of us (yes, US) are hacks when it comes to wiring harness modifications or repairs, and anything splicing wires is just asking for reliability problems, which is why we see all these apparently random issues with headers. They're all related to sub-standard wiring practices. Why else would you see a code complaining about a bad ground? It surely isn't because the ground wire is working the way it did when the car left the factory.

One car without issues is not a sample. It's one car. Search for P0607 on this site and see just how many guys have suffered with this problem. If the wiring were done to Toyota's standards, there would be no issues, but the O2 simulators would cost $500 a piece and no one would pay it. So there you are. Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two, that's all you can have.