Check Engine light Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 05:48 PM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light Help

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start by saying, that I have researched this some on here and have come to three possible conclusions as to why the CEL is on with my ISF. I have the following mods, Injen Intake, Sikky header, and Joe Z exhaust.

Anhyow, the code that my ISF is throwing is P0607. It was stated by the reader as being a "ECM malfunction." Now, the CEL has come on and turned off twice, but the last few days it has stayed on.

From what I have gathered, it could mean one of three things:

1.) Exhaust leak (need a new crush gasket. Which I did order from PPE and should be here this week).

2.) It may be a bad 02 sensor, even though I haven't gotten any code referring to the 02 sensor, YET.

3.) I may have a bad 02 simulator. Which is something I will check last because I have to drive 4 hours to have the guys that installed my headers look at it. Props to Baily's HyperPerformance because they have offered to help in any way they can. I just have to make time to make that drive.

All this being said, does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations of things I should look into or might have missed? All input is welcomed and appreciated. Please keep the sarcasm at a minimum, I've been pretty down on my car and I hate driving around in "limp mode." I want to get this CEL issue resolved and get my F back to form.
Old 04-21-15, 07:48 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

No input from anyone? No suggestions? I'll take it that I have the bases covered and just have to go through the process of diagnosis.
Old 04-23-15, 06:42 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

I started my car this morning and the CEL went away. It came back on after driving for two blocks. Does anyone know what this may be causing the light to do this? I'm trying narrow it down that way when I get it to this weekend, I can pretty much take care of it all at once. Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-23-15, 07:07 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Have you read up on previous threads about the code yet? Even though it doesn't specifically refer to the o2 sensor, it seems that is what caused the code for others. Regardless, it sounds like you have everything covered. Good luck!
Old 04-23-15, 07:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

A simple search of the forum for your code brought up a short list of threads. This one https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...c-and-cel.html seems the most relevant. I know vBulletin's search function leaves a lot to be desired, but this one was pretty easy.
Old 04-23-15, 07:57 AM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Thanks a lot guys! I read through those thread and have ordered new 02 sensors(exhaust) and gaskets. I'm hoping to have the gaskets this week and try that first and if not, I have the 02 sensors on order and they should be here next week. I just hate driving around with all those lights on. It is so annoying.
Old 04-23-15, 10:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

its your headers.

IT ALWAYS IS...... Dont know why people even bother asking. Even RedlineAZ , who had his new PPE headers installed at PPE in AZ, STILL had VSC and check engine issue. For people to say that headers don't cause CELs is just insane. People always say its install quality. Either way....you have headers you have CEL and now its an issue. The problem too common to ignore and all to add like maybe 6% more power.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-23-15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-23-15, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its your headers.

IT ALWAYS IS...... Dont know why people even bother asking. Even RedlineAZ , who had his new PPE headers installed at PPE in AZ, STILL had VSC and check engine issue. For people to say that headers don't cause CELs is just insane. People always say its install quality. Either way....you have headers you have CEL and now its an issue. The problem too common to ignore and all to add like maybe 6% more power.
And stink up the air around your car, violate state and Federal emissions laws, etc., etc,...dare I say, this really isn't the right car to buy if you want to modify it for more power?
Old 04-23-15, 12:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its your headers.

IT ALWAYS IS......
And here we go again No experience, but always an opinion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And stink up the air around your car
Not if you install your system with HiFlow cats!

To the OP, Call PPE, I'm sure they will work through the problem with you. My F, was the prototype for PPE headers and Dual Mode exhaust, and I've never had an issue. Friend in town with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust, same as me - No Issues

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-23-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 12:50 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by EpikOEM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start by saying, that I have researched this some on here and have come to three possible conclusions as to why the CEL is on with my ISF. I have the following mods, Injen Intake, Sikky header, and Joe Z exhaust.

Anhyow, the code that my ISF is throwing is P0607. It was stated by the reader as being a "ECM malfunction." Now, the CEL has come on and turned off twice, but the last few days it has stayed on.

From what I have gathered, it could mean one of three things:

1.) Exhaust leak (need a new crush gasket. Which I did order from PPE and should be here this week).

2.) It may be a bad 02 sensor, even though I haven't gotten any code referring to the 02 sensor, YET.

3.) I may have a bad 02 simulator. Which is something I will check last because I have to drive 4 hours to have the guys that installed my headers look at it. Props to Baily's HyperPerformance because they have offered to help in any way they can. I just have to make time to make that drive.

All this being said, does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations of things I should look into or might have missed? All input is welcomed and appreciated. Please keep the sarcasm at a minimum, I've been pretty down on my car and I hate driving around in "limp mode." I want to get this CEL issue resolved and get my F back to form.
Are you having any other codes? The P0607 is an electrical issue at the ECU and not related to headers. Here is a description:

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:
•Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM
•Dead or defective (12V main) battery
•An open or short in the power or ground circuit

I suppose it could have to do with the O2 simulator that Sikky sells. Not sure what wires it uses, but maybe check the install of that part.
Old 04-23-15, 02:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flowrider

To the OP, Call PPE, I'm sure they will work through the problem with you. My F, was the prototype for PPE headers and Dual Mode exhaust, and I've never had an issue. Friend in town with PPE headers and JoeZ exhaust, same as me - No Issues

Lou
Hey Lou I heard you had a CEL light back in the day with yours too. Some people just learn from other peoples mistakes Its like saying I would need to do drugs to learn that they are bad. I learn from the people on the street corners . To each his own but I dont want the headache and I actually learned how to drive my F so the extra 6% power I dont need LOL .

We will agree to disagree. LOL Much respect buddy.......we will just see how many more CEL threads pop up over the years . I guarantee its not the last. I had a feeling you were going to respond to that post. haha. again, MUCH RESPECT Lou
Old 04-23-15, 09:18 PM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Are you having any other codes? The P0607 is an electrical issue at the ECU and not related to headers. Here is a description:

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:
•Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM
•Dead or defective (12V main) battery
•An open or short in the power or ground circuit

I suppose it could have to do with the O2 simulator that Sikky sells. Not sure what wires it uses, but maybe check the install of that part.
So a bad battery could have caused this? Make sense. I will check into that as well.

You by chance can point me on the other two causes(loose ground terminal and open or short on the power or ground circuit). I'm still trying to figure out where they wired that O2 simulator?

It is a learning experience. I love having my headers and despite with some say, it was worth the investment to me.
Old 04-23-15, 11:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
So they can spit out of the exhaust on a track day? No thanks. Not worth it. FWIW, my 21 year old Supra just passed smog with flying colors on the original cats. Aftermarket isn't even close. CARB won't let you replace your cats with aftermarket unless they've been tested on your make, model, and year, because they found aftermarket cats do not perform nearly as well as the OEM units.
Old 04-24-15, 07:20 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EpikOEM
So a bad battery could have caused this? Make sense. I will check into that as well.

You by chance can point me on the other two causes(loose ground terminal and open or short on the power or ground circuit). I'm still trying to figure out where they wired that O2 simulator?

It is a learning experience. I love having my headers and despite with some say, it was worth the investment to me.
dying batteries have been known to cause weird symptoms with our ISF's. (for example throwing a warning light for the steering)
"•Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM" - this refers to the wiring on your cars computers. probably not the problem, unless someone has been messing with the wiring and connectors recently.
|•Dead or defective (12V main) battery" -- This could be your cause. how old is your battery? since your check engine comes on and off intermittently, it could be because the battery cannot keep up with the power demand from the car at that time. example if you turn on your lights, voltage drops below the preset threshold, the check engine light comes on.
|An open or short in the power or ground circuit|" -- This is where I would start. check your battery terminals. remove them, if there is any corrosion, clean and neutralize it. a loose battery terminal will cause the "open" fault. a short circuit fault in your car is probably unlikely.

if you remove the battery from the car yourself, most auto parts stores will test the battery for you, usually no charge.
Old 04-24-15, 10:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The engineers actually know something.....and every now and then they even spend a few pennies on research. LOL The headers absolutely add flow but its because they primarily removed the primary cats as well as a mild increase in the flow of gasses. The issue is heat melting the wiring and harnesses . This means there is a design issue if it is difficult to install in a manner that prevents this. Do they add power ? Hell yeah! Can it do it 100% of the time for every car and never throw a code? Hell NO.

In the end each owner has to make the decision for themselves. Is it worth the possible issue? Do I have faith in the installer? and even the design of the headers for that matter? For most of us its the noise mainly. For me I just dont want any issues with my car. My buddy RedlineAZ had his done by PPE ( here in AZ) and did it there because he figured who else would be able to install them better and make sure all was insulated. Low and behold he had the CEL too and like everyone else just returned for the repair and reinsulation and all is well. But when someone says its install error, so what the argument for my friend RedlineAZs issue ?? ( This is my experience Lou. Went through it with a friends F who had the install here at PPE. Do you have any comments buddy ?? Kind of curious what you think in this case). I can only imagine how many CELS would pop up if I had headers . With all the track days those damn pipes would get so hot it would melt anything. I have burned my hand on the floor of my trunk after getting off the track and immediately trying to put my spare in. Imagine how hot the headers would be if the mufflers heated the floor of the trunk enough for me to burn my hand ? Id say hot enough to melt any hidden and insulated harness. In the end I will never know unless I try but I dont need the headache, although I will admit the JoeZ exhaust with the PPE headers sounded insane !!

Quick Reply: Check Engine light Help