IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Might Be Leaving The F For A V

Old 04-19-15, 04:40 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Might Be Leaving The F For A V

Been debating for a few months to scratch an itch and get a CTS-V. They don't come up in my area too often but one recently did and I have a deal in place if I choose to trade the F in. It's a 2012 Opulent Blue Metallic coupe with 6 speed manual transmission. I really love this car with the manual, makes it feel very driver connected. It only has 8k miles and is under full factory extended warranty till 2018. Only thing I really don't like about it are the shiny chrome wheels so if i get it they will be powdercoated or painted gloss black. Having been a member here for years and owning 2 F cars I'm still on the fence a bit about leaving. Guys on the CTS-V forum have been really helpful just like this forum. What do u guys think? I know in the end it's up to me but I would love to hear opinions before I make final decision this week. Here are a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails Might Be Leaving The F For A V-image.jpg  
Old 04-19-15, 04:41 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

This is the key reason IMHO
Attached Thumbnails Might Be Leaving The F For A V-image.jpg  
Old 04-19-15, 05:02 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not interest in the new CTS-V??
Old 04-19-15, 05:23 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I love the V. Specifically a wagon in 6-speed (super rare).
However, I would never trade the F for it. The only appeal to me is 6-speed and aftermarket.
I've raced some and won a few, lost a few.
Basically, have a bit of fun and find yourself driving a loaner for the rest of your V ownership--that's how I see it
Old 04-19-15, 06:24 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

New CTS-V is gonna be way more than I want to spend. I am a sub $50k car buyer
Old 04-19-15, 06:39 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

The V is an awesome car. Lots of tuning possibilities and alot of aftermarket support. It all depends on you. Main reason i bought the ISF over an GTR was it was damn reliable. Get more info over at the cts v forums. They will be very helpful in letting you know any issues or concerns.
Old 04-19-15, 07:06 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Yea I've been on the V forum for awhile. Issues don't seem to be too bad with the V cars. Supercharger rattle which gets replaced by Cadillac and a wheel clicking noise seem to be the common things. Of course reliability of the F is why I haven't traded it in before. This is the closest I have come to trading it in but still not 100% certain. Going back tomorrow for 2nd test drive of the V then will see how I feel. 1st test drive was awesome but want to see how I feel again.
Old 04-19-15, 07:15 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The new ATS-V is very compelling
Old 04-19-15, 07:29 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It is a fast ride for sure. I really like the power that it has on the road. It's good you mentioned the full factory warranty till 2018 because I've known some good friends who bought a V and it crapped out on them while under warranty, which was fine for them. While no car is perfect, they did end up choosing to leave the power of the V simply because the expenses were piling up quickly- primarily with the transmission and a very unfavorable message of "reduced engine power" on the console.

It might not be a bad idea to play with that manual for a few years, and if you see any issues with the car then, well, onto the next one after that.
Old 04-19-15, 09:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It would be very tempting. I actually like the chrome with the blue. I dont know much about Caddy reliability, all I know I I enjoy have a performance car that I can beat the ever living **** out of and still expect it to run perfectly all the time. All im going to say is 6 track days in 10 months and all I got a a was seat squeak that required the seat to be tightened, Thats it !! Says a lot. I will admit the manual tranny would be a HUGE reason to jump
Old 04-19-15, 09:58 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Yea I here u. I don't track my F but I do drive it like it should be driven and it has never failed me at all. I was really hoping the dealer would let me take the V home and spend a day with it like dealers used to do back in the day but they won't. Owner said only test drives with an employee in car at all times are allowed.
Old 04-19-15, 10:11 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I got to test drive one while getting my F appraised a few months back... also a coupe, albeit in auto. It pulls significantly harder than the F! With that said, it wasn't a very exciting driving experience. Handling was good, but the car felt a tad heavy. F felt more responsive and connected overall.

For the interior, the Alcantara didn't age very well, and the piano black bits felt somewhat cheap. It looks far better than it feels.

The exterior has always been meh to me. It's just not a sexy car IMHO. I have seen a few completely modded ones that look decent though, not sure if you were planning to put a lot of money into styling mods.

I wouldn't have traded my F for it, and also crossed it off my list of potential replacements. It is definitely faster than the F, no contest, so if that's a priority than I'd say it's a no brainer at that price point.
Old 04-19-15, 10:24 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Only mods would be getting wheels painted black and a Corsa sport exhaust put on. I drove an automatic V sedan awhile back and the automatic trans is terrible. Would only get a V with a manual, really makes the car a driving experience.
Old 04-20-15, 04:34 AM
YotaLex
Driver

I've never seen the dark side before...... Always been in the Yota gang.

BUT my cousin is a "big" designer for GM & has had his hands in on all of the CTS-V projects... Hell I saw one in prototype stage. He swears by them, but he works for them.... I get discount incentives from him in the mail box all the time to switch sides, but Lexus lives somewhere in my heart.

Do what makes you happy, man! The F'ers will still love you.
Old 04-20-15, 10:48 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

I think aesthetically the car is hideous, but knowing the brand and power makes it sexy.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Might Be Leaving The F For A V