IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Time for mods - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 11:02 AM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for mods - Questions

Season is starting here in eastern europe and time to finally smack on some mods to get closer to 11s.

Right off the bat the plan is to put in K&N typhoon intake (suggest alternatives if there's something better), joe-z exhaust, and sikky headers. I am also thinking nitrous so would appreciate suggestions on that.

Main question i have is that does anyone have experience driving their F during the winter with the forementioned bolt-ons? I would like to make sure they can take the cold temperates, i still need to drive the car during the winter as well and it's normally around -20 to -10 by celsius here during the winter. Occasionally lower. If anyone from Northern Europe or somewhere around that could share their experiences that'd be great.

Finally, best places to order the parts? Need shipping to Europe of course
Old 04-19-15, 11:17 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Everyone's gonna tell you to not go with that intake. Either keep it stock or go with just the Joe Z or HPS tube.

I also remember reading some debate on the benefit of headers if you plan to run nitrous. Somebody else can probably fill you in.

I've never driven in weather that cold. Close to freezing a few times with no issues. I know some owners put on snow tires and drive throughout the winter though. I don't think there is anything special you'd need to worry about due to headers and exhaust.
Old 04-19-15, 11:46 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I've driven in -10 to 0 degree temps with mods. No different than driving in that weather without those mods
Anyway, the straight-line performance mods for this car are headers, exhaust, weight reduction, tires, and nitrous (a cf driveshaft has also been produced but I haven't heard much about it lately).

If you want to break into 11s: headers, exhaust, sticky tires.
This would mean your car would have no cats.
Retain the stock intake system. You can change out the intake elbow for joe z or hps, and the filter if you really desire to change somethin
There's not much of an aftermarket to this car, and it's so much fun road course racing it compared to mashing a pedal while driving straight for 12 seconds...or less! You can find a plethora of chassis/suspension parts for the F online, as well.
Have fun
Old 04-19-15, 12:28 PM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Good to know about the weather - thanks

About the intake, there's one F around here that has put that on and it added about 14kw for him. Why do you recommend retaining the stock one though if there are options which provide a small boost to the hp?

I got new tires a few weeks ago and very happy with them so far, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but towards the end of the season should try with slicks as well.

At the end of May going to take it on the track as well so want to get the mods on before that! That's much more fun than driving in a straight line!

Little worried about the nitrous though....any comments? People with extended experience?

Also what about fuel? What are you guys using for 1 mile, 1/4 mile?