IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

keep my F or get rid of it for a G8 and no payment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 11:47 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the G8. Then use the $400 a month you were paying on the F for the head shrink that you will undoubtedly need for selling the car!
Old 04-16-15, 12:23 PM
hgill02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmt1011
Get the G8. Then use the $400 a month you were paying on the F for the head shrink that you will undoubtedly need for selling the car!
Lol that did make me laugh.

Money isn't really that tight or anything as me and my wife don't have any lavish expenditures. Only house and cars mainly. I am just at a point where I hate having any payments at all. Lol

My cars are on a 2.45% interest rate so its not bad. She would be going part time until about year and half and by then the 4runner would be paid of so well just have my car pmt of $400 bucks.

My concern has actually been using the car for the baby if I have too. It wouldnt be daily (maybe 5-10) times a month locally. We use the 4runner for all family road trips. From what I had read most people has stated that with the rear facing seat the front of the isf is pretty useless (thus got ms thinking when me and my Wifey were discussing starting a family). I was like if I'm gonna have to sell it when we have a baby I rather sell it now that I have a buyer willing to pay decent money.

I am not in a rush or anything and as stated its my daily driver and I plan to out a couple hundred thousands miles on it. I want to keep something that'd last me to 200k -300k miles (I make sure all the maintenance is done so don't neglect my cars at all). Still leaning more towards keeping it than not.
Old 04-16-15, 12:43 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have twin girls and yes with the rear facing seat it is difficult to drive (i'm 5'8")..... but then again i have 2 girls. i dont see the problem if you're having one baby, put the baby on the back seat of the passenger side and you're ok... most likely your wife will be in the back with the baby anyway.. i just use my wife's suv whenever we're out with the girls and use my car as a daily or when we're by ourselve.....
Old 04-16-15, 12:59 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm....I think you're gonna end up regretting getting rid of the F. I been driving my daughter since she was an infant in my previous IS250,350, and now IS F. All 2nd gen! She's about to turn 5 now...Ive had no problems whatsoever. I drive classy and calm with the family and turn into beast mode when I'm alone. It's very funny actually...lol. Just out of curiosity, how would you compare the G8 performance vs the F? I gotta neighbor dying to race me but we haven't found the time or place...lol. His friend keeps advising him he's not ready for the F...lol...but he won't leave me alone. I looked up there specs they come pretty hefty under the bonnet...lol. Good luck with your decision and family!
Old 04-16-15, 01:05 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Think of safety, what car is safer to keep your kid in the back? I never thought Japanese car were tough but I got tboned from a guy going 40 mph, my side air bags popped and I walked away with literally nothing.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-16-15, 01:24 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Hmmm....I think you're gonna end up regretting getting rid of the F. I been driving my daughter since she was an infant in my previous IS250,350, and now IS F. All 2nd gen! She's about to turn 5 now...Ive had no problems whatsoever. I drive classy and calm with the family and turn into beast mode when I'm alone. It's very funny actually...lol. Just out of curiosity, how would you compare the G8 performance vs the F? I gotta neighbor dying to race me but we haven't found the time or place...lol. His friend keeps advising him he's not ready for the F...lol...but he won't leave me alone. I looked up there specs they come pretty hefty under the bonnet...lol. Good luck with your decision and family!
If the g8 is stock then u should be find. However the ls motors are so easy to modify so if he's modded he can easily be pushing 450+HP. Modding is easy and cheap on those cars. Suspension however sucks. Also just like the isf I was hardly able to get enough traction. The g8 would literally travel a bit still try to gain traction with all that torque.

From what I have been reading from the comments there are a good number of people that use the F as a family car. I normally cruise in the car and have fun at certain times. From what I have been reading and thinking overall about long term reliability and safety I am definitely leaning more towards keeping the F.

As another person stated I am also very spoiled with the F. I'm not used to having to take out the key anymore. When I take our 4runner I always forget to unlock it before getting in. So used to all the little bells and whistles.
Old 04-16-15, 01:25 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Think of safety, what car is safer to keep your kid in the back? I never thought Japanese car were tough but I got tboned from a guy going 40 mph, my side air bags popped and I walked away with literally nothing.
Definitely a very important factor. I wouldn't have thought the isf was that tough.
Old 04-16-15, 01:27 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by TranV
i have twin girls and yes with the rear facing seat it is difficult to drive (i'm 5'8")..... but then again i have 2 girls. i dont see the problem if you're having one baby, put the baby on the back seat of the passenger side and you're ok... most likely your wife will be in the back with the baby anyway.. i just use my wife's suv whenever we're out with the girls and use my car as a daily or when we're by ourselve.....
That's what I'm thinking. We use our 4runner for traveling anytime we go out of town or even around town (that way I don't worry about someone dinging up my previous F). So a baby might not been an immediate issue, unless its twins then ****ed. Lol
Old 04-16-15, 01:29 PM
hgill02
Driver

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Word of warning, the G8 won't be anything like what you remember. The IS-F will have changed your expectations.

I'm still toying with going back to a Supra!

Loved the one I had when I met my wife, but we needed to get a house, and that meant selling the Supra!

They do look dated compared to the IS-F, but I know I can address that over time.

The tunability is a huge factor. I can happily run an 800HP Supra, but would it be as good as my IS-F? Doubt it.

Just saying times change. I'd probably keep the IS-F if that's a workable option.

If not, I'd sell up and go with a practical car like a Camry for a few years as others suggested.

Nice thing is you do get plenty more chances to buy another IS-F or better once the family and cashflow allows!

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers.

Peter
I've thought a little about that. I'm so used to the bells and whistles on this car that even though I love my g8 when I had it, I may not feel the same way coming from an isf. Keeping the isf is a workable option and my wife is very supportive of my car obsession. Shes left the decision completely to me. She said shes good either way.
Old 04-16-15, 01:52 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Financially, i would just get the g8. Then maybe in the near future you can save up a bit and get a used gs f...
Old 04-16-15, 02:58 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I looked at a g8 a while ago. I like em. Look good, good price, moddability is way over that of the f. I know a guy who has one who lives near me and that thing us an absolute beast....however its a gm product. Not bashing gm in anyway, my wife dives a gm and we've never had any major issues with it yet...
Old 04-16-15, 03:37 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly if you are planning on having a baby, you might want to sell the IS-F. Having an emergency fund is always a good idea. It sounds like you are really torn but family comes first. I wish you, your wife and future child all my best.
Old 04-16-15, 04:48 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

I had my daughter in an IS350 and the ISF (the IS350 seats seemed bulkier and made space worse believe it or not) and it was always manageable.. obviously more so once she got old enough to face forward. I'd rather have the ISF over the G8 but having no car payment should would help with the new expenses you're about to have. This one purely comes down to money IMO. The ISF can handle child duty, unless you're talking about adults over 6 foot.
Old 04-16-15, 05:08 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmt1011
LOL!

But really though, survey says on a lexus F fan page... keep the F. Although no payment would be nice but you would miss it eventually. Reliability and all, holds resale value very well. You do have a point, back seats are not user friendly. Not a huge fan of GM but thats just me. Good luck with the future newborn and your search for a potentially new vehicle!
Old 04-16-15, 05:13 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
If money is an issue, maybe you should sell it and buy a beater to use for a few years. Having the baby will be a change in lifestyle and having extra money in the bank never hurts.
This if you really are trying to cut expenses... but it sounds like you miss your old 8 and this sounds like a good move. I would either keep the current or sell it to him and pick up a 1992 geo metro lol... then you'll really see some money saved.

I have a 7 month old and a 4 year old in our IS350... no complaints cause I love my car... but we also have a second vehicle for longer trips. Keep what makes you smile most... if you love driving it then everything else can be set aside. If you just miss the 8 and need a way out this could be it... but as someone mentioned... it wont be how you remembered it when you left it.

My vote is to keep it, hold tight, and save in other areas. You know you'll just end up modding the 8 and then what money are you actually saving?

Quick Reply: keep my F or get rid of it for a G8 and no payment