IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does the Joe Z exhaust drone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 08:05 AM
xaznx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Joe Z exhaust drone?

Hey guys, had the F for about two months now and love it. One of the members posted let the mods begin, and he is so right. I want to start off with the exhaust and from what I've read everybody has been pretty happy with the Joe z exhaust. Stock form I love the grumble but want a little more notes coming from the exhaust. I've heard youtube clips of F owners with Joe z exhaust and love the sound of it, but am concerned about droning while driving. Plus I've heard that it sounds different on video than in person. I have two very young kids that will be in the back seat, as I don't want that drone. I know that a brand new exhaust will be alot louder for the first few hundred miles, and then it'll tone down quite a bit. For the f owners with joe z, how much louder is the exhaust from factory? Will I still be able to hear the radio while driving on the freeway without blasting it? I've read that other exhaust options are alot louder and the joe z is a little tamer in comparisons. Just wanted to hear you guys thoughts before I pull the trigger and get one. Also what do you guys do with the factory exhaust? Do you keep them, or is there a demand for selling them off on craigslist or ebay? Thanks guys. Oh, I only plan on doing intake and exhaust, for my future mods.
Old 04-16-15, 08:34 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read....it is one of the quieter exhaust systems out there. I think the only thing that would be quieter would be the axle-back Borla kit as it retains the stock mid-pipe. Too bad as there was a group buy for Joe-Z systems that ended yesterday.
Old 04-16-15, 08:46 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by xaznx
Hey guys, had the F for about two months now and love it. One of the members posted let the mods begin, and he is so right. I want to start off with the exhaust and from what I've read everybody has been pretty happy with the Joe z exhaust. Stock form I love the grumble but want a little more notes coming from the exhaust. I've heard youtube clips of F owners with Joe z exhaust and love the sound of it, but am concerned about droning while driving. Plus I've heard that it sounds different on video than in person. I have two very young kids that will be in the back seat, as I don't want that drone. I know that a brand new exhaust will be alot louder for the first few hundred miles, and then it'll tone down quite a bit. For the f owners with joe z, how much louder is the exhaust from factory? Will I still be able to hear the radio while driving on the freeway without blasting it? I've read that other exhaust options are alot louder and the joe z is a little tamer in comparisons. Just wanted to hear you guys thoughts before I pull the trigger and get one. Also what do you guys do with the factory exhaust? Do you keep them, or is there a demand for selling them off on craigslist or ebay? Thanks guys. Oh, I only plan on doing intake and exhaust, for my future mods.
I test drove an F with a JoeZ exhaust and it definitely droned around 2k rpm (somewhere around there). The drone did go away as the rpm's climbed, but it was too much drone for me (like you I have two young kids). Me personally I will be going with another aftermarket exhaust system that has no drone like the dual PPE exhaust system with high flow cats like what Lou has on his car.
Old 04-16-15, 09:26 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

all exhaust drone to some point, its just a byproduct for having loud exhuast

with that said the drone on the joe z is very manageable on the highway. just got to figure out the sweet spot and you will barely hear it
Old 04-16-15, 01:01 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drone around 2k rpm, but not too bad. i too have kids and this is the perfect exhaust for people who want exhaust but not too loud...you'll be ok inside the cabin. i have it almost 2 years now and contemplating headers because i'm used to the exhaust and want louder....it's a great system, you won't regret it...
Old 04-16-15, 01:03 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have joe z exhaust system and during normal driving conditions and cruising 65 to 80 mph doesn't have much drone. I don't know if I'm used to it now but it doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 04-16-15, 01:24 PM
xaznx
Driver

Thanks guys, what did you do with the factory exhaust, did you keep it or just toss it? Are there a market for our exhaust like off ebay or craigslist?
Old 04-16-15, 01:29 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I kept mine! If I ever go to sell my car I'd pull the joe z off and sell it separate.
Old 04-16-15, 01:53 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i don't have a joe z but i'll just share w/ you my experience w/ the F and exhaust in general. i had the borla cat back and although said to be quieter than the joe z, the first week you're like "damn, this is kinda loud." yes, it also droned as w/ any aftermarket exhaust for our cars. (minus maybe the dual mode PPE system.) but then you get used to the sound and want louder. re: the stock system, i'd keep it in the event you want to go back to OEM and or sell the joe z. a lot of people on the forums are willing to buy used systems. i'm glad i kept mine bc i ended up selling my borla and modifying the OEM system and now running straight pipes after the cats.
Old 04-16-15, 02:29 PM
xaznx
Driver

Did you guys install this yourself of did you take it to the shop??
Old 04-16-15, 02:32 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

as far as catbacks go, the quietest would be the borla. I would say the Joe Z would be the middle ground. They all drone at around 2k RPM. You get used to the sound after a while.
Old 04-16-15, 02:43 PM
xaznx
Driver

I guess I love the sound, not really minding too much drone, just don't want the wife to get annoyed as well as the kids. I guess I don't want to sound ricey like my old civic, integra days. Anyways, I just ordered from Luis, man that guy is awesome!! Pretty excited to get it on and hear it in person. Everyone says it sounds different live, than online. So it is true that its louder when brand new, and then it will quite down a bit. What is the break in period for this?
Old 04-16-15, 05:22 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the joe-z exhaust almost a week ago. So far loving it, and quite honestly the youtube videos do no justice than what it is to the ear. Alot deeper and louder than you would expect. Really quiet at idle. As far as drone, not really, a little bit but far from a nuisance. The drone if any is rather deep and not a fart can ring that reverberates around the cab. Highly recommend it and their customer service is great as well. Welds are sexy. Do, please do get a lift will save so much time and energy, going to need 2 people as well. To take out the factory exhaust you need to remove a brace that reaches across the underbody underneath the plastic, would be pretty frustrating laying on your back. Factory exhaust is rather bulky. Joe z Exhaust is a slightly raspy the first 50 miles, but sounds better and better as time goes on, tones down a bit and gets a smooth deep rumble.
Old 04-16-15, 10:14 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The Joe Z/PTS exhaust isn't the loudest, but it has a nice sound to it, especially when that second intake opens up. It definitely sounds powerful and very potent to unleash that 5.0L V8 under the hood. There's very little drone, and it's not obnoxious at all. One can still carry a conversation with his/her guests in the car with the Joe Z easily.

I had mine installed when I purchased it, but that was a long time ago. I still kept the OE exhaust just in case anything happens (smog, ticket, resale).
Old 04-16-15, 11:30 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
The Joe Z/PTS exhaust isn't the loudest, but it has a nice sound to it, especially when that second intake opens up. It definitely sounds powerful and very potent to unleash that 5.0L V8 under the hood. There's very little drone, and it's not obnoxious at all. One can still carry a conversation with his/her guests in the car with the Joe Z easily.

I had mine installed when I purchased it, but that was a long time ago. I still kept the OE exhaust just in case anything happens (smog, ticket, resale).
Agreed on that. It doesn't drone, when you want to drive normally and lightly it you can have it quiet. When you really want to get on the throttle its a nice deep rumble. The sound is there when you want it, its not when you dont want it, your foot controls the volume button.

Quick Reply: Does the Joe Z exhaust drone?