IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Hesitation from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 04:08 PM
xaznx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation from a stop

Hey guys, got my isf for couple months now and love the car. I was just wondering if you guys have the same problem or not. I have an 08 which only 7k miles on it. Lets say at a stop I start to accelerate, I notice a slight hesitation before it picks up around 1-1.5 rpms. Does your f's do that too or is it just my car? under hard acceleration I don't notice it, but with nice and easy acceleration that slight hesitation is kinda annoying. Not sure since car has such low miles on it if I need to run fuel injection cleaner or something, of if something else could be wrong. I kinda mention it to the lexus service manager and he said something that next time I bring the car in that he'll let the mechanic do a tranny ecu update of some sort? I didn't know that there was such a thing. Also has anybody brought their f's in yet for the fuel sensor leak yet? Should I wait a little bit so that they don't practice on my car. Thanks guys.
Old 04-14-15, 04:50 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I notice it too....its the powerband of the car and I think the fact that they try to buffer the power delivery....but I could be wrong.

Yes, members have had their fuel leak recall done. Many have had the black wiring cover broken.

Have your car looked over for leaking water pump....it was covered on many cars...
Old 04-14-15, 05:30 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm maybe my lead foot, ark atcc sport mode and carbon driveshaft I don't notice it.
Old 04-14-15, 07:20 PM
kickinazz
Driver School Candidate

Try cleaning your air filter...
Old 04-14-15, 08:00 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
Hmm maybe my lead foot, ark atcc sport mode and carbon driveshaft I don't notice it.
agreed. lol

but the real question is... an 08 with 7k miles?!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-15-15, 03:24 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I was thinking the same and 08 with 7k miles...hahaha
Old 04-15-15, 08:27 PM
xaznx
Driver

yes, really it does only have 7k miles on it. I just bought it with 6400 miles on it and in a week put 200 miles on it driving around town. Air filter is clean, leaks brand new. Any other ideas? Your f's dont do this??
Old 04-16-15, 06:10 AM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why don't you try:
- D + sport mode
- D + sport mode + vsc off
- Manual + sport mode
- Manual + sport mode + vsc off
Try these modes to see how the car performs. Because your F only 7k miles on it so the engine is still new.You can clean the mass air flow sensor too.
It sounds like normal, don' t worry much. Good luck man !
Old 04-16-15, 07:55 AM
xaznx
Driver

Thanks ShyGuyF, I'll give those a try and let you guys know.
Old 04-17-15, 06:26 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

configure your gauge display to show "Gear Position" so you can monitor which gear your car is in. If you don't come to a full and complete stop, the car will like to stay in 2nd gear. The hesitation you feel may be the downshift from 2nd to 1st gear.
Also, like someone has already mentioned, drive it in manual mode, ensure its in 1st gear, and try to replicate the hesitation. if you can't replicate it, it was probably the downshift.
Old 04-17-15, 08:59 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Try resetting the ecu. Unplug the neg of the battery for 30min.
Old 04-17-15, 09:26 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool That is really low miles

If I had a car with that few a miles (That is 1000 miles per year) I'd:

1. Check the oil, if it is clean I'd warm it up real good and take it out and beat on it and I mean get on it hard. Then I'd change the oil and filter with a good full synthetic. Then beat on it again.
2. Check the air filter.
3. Clean the throttle body.
4. Use a good fuel injection cleaner.
5. Disconnect the battery ground for 15 minutes. Have the battery checked for full voltage.
6. If the dealer says the transmission ECU needs to be reprogrammed, do it.

Quite possibly the car just has never been driven.

Keep an eye on the tires. If it sat that long with original tires the metal cords are getting edgy. I wouldn't go faster that 120 MPH.

Loren
Old 04-17-15, 09:55 AM
xaznx
Driver

Thanks Lorenr, Yes the car has never really been driven. The previous owner loved and pampered the car, lucky for me. Basically the only time it gets driven is to the dealership to get the oil change, and then back into the garage with a trickle charger hooked up. Car still has factory battery and never changed. Still starts up like a charm. Thanks for the advice, as I'll try these methods. How do I clean the throttle body? Just throttle body cleaner and spray and wipe? is that all? Any good fuel inj cleaner that you recommend?
Old 04-17-15, 01:25 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Take your time

DO NOT use a rag to clean the throttle body. Get a shop manual and look for instruction. Also search this board. Nearly all Lexus cars have similar throttle bodies.

Most major brands of injector cleaner work well. I've used Sea-Foam, Chevron injector cleaner and even Wal Marts brand. Never had a dirty injector, so maybe they work. I'd try one though.

Find a good octane booster and add it. It may not increase octane, but it may clean your fuel system. The stuff must do something it smells so strong after it is burned.

Don't guess on this car. The "Search Button" is your friend.

Loren
Old 04-17-15, 09:36 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has no such hesitation, in any mode, ever. Perfectly responsive off idle and when throttled up throughout the RPM range. I do drive my car hard, it sees redline every day that it is driven.

Quick Reply: Hesitation from a stop