IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help with drag strip launch

Old 04-12-15, 08:03 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with drag strip launch

I went to the track today and had some horrible times. something is definitely wrong.
traction control off (long push)
sport mode on
manual mode
tires at 17psi
launching at around 2k rpm. Camaros and crustangs were flying past me off the line. I thought our cars had more torque than that? I expected at the most a 2.0 60'. with a ET of 8.3 or 8.4. instead I couldn't even break into the 9s.

the car seemed to bog terribly off the line. I couldn't get better than a 2.6 60'!
I find it odd that my 60' times were pretty similar whether I had the traction control off or not. I tried it both ways.

anyway, what is this pedal dance thing I've been hearing about? it seems as if my car still had the traction control on when I launched. I did do a burnout in the water box so I assume my traction control was off, but when I went to launch I couldn't get the car to come into the power band at all as if the TC was still on. my only mod is K&N filter. Please chime in if you guys can help me launch this thing better.

Last edited by lifethinkr; 04-12-15 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 09:45 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to a track today to finally get numbers for a driveshaft that driveshaftshop made and I was 20 mins late... Do disappointing to sit and watch Hondas, crustangs an subrorus run 12-15 second passes when I really think the driveshaft will help a lot with what you and many others have experienced with the F, the other thing is a good lsd, I'll be running a giken here in the next couple weeks (my car is a 08)
Old 04-12-15, 11:36 PM
mistagill
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont have a isf i have gs430 but i have been to the track many times. In my experience its better to keep your tire pressure around 30psi also keep traction all the way off and dont do a burn out go around the water box. Brake and gas around 1500rpms at let her rip. I have found its better in my car to manually shift it but yours might be better in auto. Anyways i have done 2.1 60fts and low 9's in the 1/8th this way in my gs430.
Old 04-13-15, 05:38 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

I think there were several things wrong with my launch.
A tires were too low
B I didn't power brake it enough.
C I was heat soaked.
Old 04-13-15, 05:38 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept mine on stock street PSI like mid 30s PSI. Go around the water but you have to do a quick burnout to clean and warm them up just a little. Having said that, it's hard to break under 2.0 with street tires unless track prep is good.
Old 04-13-15, 06:13 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

track prep was great. spinning was not my problem. I couldn't get the car into its power band. from 1500 rpm, when the light turned green, I punched it and it took like 2 seconds before I had to shift into second gear. after that, the car banged through the gears as it usually does, just off the line it didn't want to rev fast in 1rst gear. car just kind of crept up into the power band. almost as if the traction control was on.
im going to try to launch it near the power band next time. 3-400ish RPM without breaking tires loose at the line.

so we don't have a pedal dance? the long push should have turned all the TC off?
Old 04-13-15, 07:21 AM
Dragtek
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I kept mine on stock street PSI like mid 30s PSI. Go around the water but you have to do a quick burnout to clean and warm them up just a little. Having said that, it's hard to break under 2.0 with street tires unless track prep is good.

So for us to launch your just holding down the brakes, and trying to maintain your revs while on the gas? Pretty similar to do a burnout I assume? Forgive the newb questions. I've never launched or taken an auto to the track and it's been surprisingly intimidating for me!
Old 04-13-15, 07:36 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

All season tires yo.
Old 04-13-15, 08:02 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

so on a stock car. what kind of 60 FTs can I expect? and ET's and trap speed?

im going to try again I know I can at least get a 2.2 60' and I should be able to get into the 8s I just have to play with it. its not as simple as just stepping on the gas apparently.
Old 04-13-15, 08:44 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

I cut a 1.90 on all seasons
Old 04-13-15, 09:37 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
I cut a 1.90 on all seasons
How do you launch? what tire pressure? nitrous?
Old 04-13-15, 09:50 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by juanmedina
How do you launch? what tire pressure? nitrous?
x2^ what rpms do you launch at?
Old 04-13-15, 01:12 PM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
x2^ what rpms do you launch at?
Nitrous will not help on launch as you shouldnt spray until the car is moving and above 3000rpms.

Also, i keep my PSI around 28-30 on my 18" nitto nto5r's in the rear. And yes, i do a decent burnout to remove dirt and warm up the tries. Hot tires = sticky tires. I am usually around the 2.1 range on my 60 foot launching around 1000rpm.
Old 04-13-15, 03:03 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

so if I try to launch at lets say 2500 to 3k rpm you guys think ill spin? I didn't have a problem with spinning yesterday. my car was bogging in first gear. like it took wayyyy too long to hit 6500rpm and into 2nd. by the time I hit second gear Camaros were 3 cars ahead. my 60 fts were horrible. 2.6, 2.9 and an embarrassing 3.0? WTF? a cavalier would beat that time!! was it because im heatsoaked? I didn't thatnk that would make much of a difference? im so disappointed. I know she's fast, just wondering what was wrong?
Old 04-13-15, 03:39 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This is what I did on my first time at the track. Except for exhaust, everything else was stock including the tires. I didn't do anything special to launch it either. Left foot on brake, right foot on gas, released brake and mashed the pedal hard making sure to press the kickdown button as soon as I saw yellow. Pretty straight forward. Every time I load the converter I get too much wheel spin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with drag strip launch