IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Feed back from ISF owners with FIGS LCA BUSHINGS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to make a 90 degree turn from 110 mph on some of the AZ tracks. The track here was more of a sweeper. Doesn't seem as hard as the stuff I'm doing even though the speeds are higher. I might have to scrub 70 mph whereas here it may have been maybe 40-50 mph but at a higher speed. Car seemed fine to me, but looks and feeling are totally different. Sometimes I am braking so hard that the front tires are fighting for traction. All I know is my car feels great when I'm out there and hope the bushing will only help. Any noise though and it will be gone .
Old 04-12-15, 07:17 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The track here was more of a sweeper. Doesn't seem as hard as the stuff I'm doing even though the speeds are higher.
Looks are deceiving. Driving a flat track is one thing, huge elevation changes is another. I didn't get the full picture of it until I did a track walk. Turn 2 is scary down to the bone. Here are some quotes from professionals
Paul Tracy, CART driver:

“Mosport has always been a good track for me. It was where I had some of my earliest wins — I wrapped up the Formula Ford Championship there when I was 16. I basically learned to race there, and I think it has led me to where I am today. It is the toughest track in the country and one of the most challenging tracks in the world.”

Ron Fellows, LeMans series driver:

“Mosport is such a challenging track; the speed of the corners and the elevation changes make it high risk But if you can race well at Mosport, you can race anywhere. Only LeMans is as challenging. The highlight for me was winning the pole and setting the lap record in the Ferrari sports car in 1997, but it was also the site of my first Trans-Am victory.”

Patrick Carpentier, CART driver:

“Oh for sure, you need big b—-, I mean a lot of courage, to race at Mosport. It’s a great track, very fast and exciting, but you have to be very, very careful, too.”

Bobby Rahal, boss of Jaguar F1 racing and former race driver:

“I started racing there when I was 18, but my best memory was driving flat out around the circuit in a Can-Am car. I still can’t believe the speeds we did back then. Of course, I also raced against Gilles Villeneuve in Atlantics. The track definitely separates the men from the boys! It’s also the place I met the girl who became my wife.”

Scott Goodyear, IRL driver:

“The Porsche Turbo Cup series was a highlight, of course, but I look back on it as a great training ground for my career.”

Richard Spénard, driver-coach and veteran race driver:

“I had many great battles, particularly with Ron Fellows. One year I drove in four different race cars on one weekend! Mosport is one of the toughest tracks in the world.”

Last edited by Compthis; 04-12-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 09:16 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Thank you this is exactly type of additional information I was looking for. I was aware of benefits in high speed breaking and Increasing tire life due to permature Wear with OEM LCA.

I like to thank everyone for contributing to this thread the more information the better Keep it coming guys.
After the LCA bushing installation, my car definitely darts around less under extremely hard braking, particular at speeds in the triple digits, although it is noticeable at slower speeds as well.

The only other simultaneous changes (suspension wise), were Swift front springs, an F sport rear sway bar, and a 'Lance' alignment. Admittedly, the toe change, although minor, could affect the handling under hard braking, I attribute the majority of the difference to the Figs bushings.

Plus, they are pretty!
Attached Thumbnails Feed back from ISF owners with FIGS LCA BUSHINGS-image.jpg  
Old 04-12-15, 09:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I think with the poly bushings you could run a little more toe out safely.
Old 04-13-15, 06:18 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Admittedly, the toe change, although minor, could affect the handling under hard braking, I attribute the majority of the difference to the Figs bushings.
I've noticed that on the track, trail-braking has improved on my car since I installed the Figs LCA Bushings. Prior to the LCA bushing upgrade, I would sometimes have understeering issues when attempting to trail-brake into a corner. I'm assuming it's because of the suspension geometry change during hard braking and the tires are transitioning from being toe-out to toe-in (which can contribute to understeer).

When tackling those same corners after the Figs LCA bushing upgrade, my trail-braking abilities have noticeably improved with the nose of the car having an easier time pointing to the direction of the apex during hard braking. Alignment-wise, I'm running 0.03 toe-out on the front tires and 0.03 toe-in on the rear tires.
Old 04-13-15, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Y

Looks are deceiving. Driving a flat track is one thing, huge elevation changes is another. I didn't get the full picture of it until I did a track walk. Turn 2 is scary down to the bone. Here are some quotes from professionals
Paul Tracy, CART driver:

“Mosport has always been a good track for me. It was where I had some of my earliest wins — I wrapped up the Formula Ford Championship there when I was 16. I basically learned to race there, and I think it has led me to where I am today. It is the toughest track in the country and one of the most challenging tracks in the world.”

Ron Fellows, LeMans series driver:

“Mosport is such a challenging track; the speed of the corners and the elevation changes make it high risk But if you can race well at Mosport, you can race anywhere. Only LeMans is as challenging. The highlight for me was winning the pole and setting the lap record in the Ferrari sports car in 1997, but it was also the site of my first Trans-Am victory.”

Patrick Carpentier, CART driver:

“Oh for sure, you need big b—-, I mean a lot of courage, to race at Mosport. It’s a great track, very fast and exciting, but you have to be very, very careful, too.”

Bobby Rahal, boss of Jaguar F1 racing and former race driver:

“I started racing there when I was 18, but my best memory was driving flat out around the circuit in a Can-Am car. I still can’t believe the speeds we did back then. Of course, I also raced against Gilles Villeneuve in Atlantics. The track definitely separates the men from the boys! It’s also the place I met the girl who became my wife.”

Scott Goodyear, IRL driver:

“The Porsche Turbo Cup series was a highlight, of course, but I look back on it as a great training ground for my career.”

Richard Spénard, driver-coach and veteran race driver:

“I had many great battles, particularly with Ron Fellows. One year I drove in four different race cars on one weekend! Mosport is one of the toughest tracks in the world.”
Thanks for sharing that
Old 04-13-15, 06:44 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got in from a first drive with the new bushings installed. The car is definitely more predictable. I feel more confident as the tire movement with the OEM bushings is no more. One feeling I had the whole time while out was that the car now feels more like a "German" car. What I mean is I owned a BMW M roadster before the ISF and I must say the BMW felt more planted and more solid than the Lexus. The car feels tighter and more "grand" if that's a good word to use. I feel more connected with the car with the new bushings. I never had an issue with inner tire wear as I seem to wear the outside faster.

My first impressions are a big thumbs up. Looking forward to getting some seat time on the track with them. A+ Figs
Old 04-14-15, 03:51 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your interesting feedback. I'm seriously considering buying these bushings.
Old 04-14-15, 09:45 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF_GG
Thanks for your interesting feedback. I'm seriously considering buying these bushings.
About the second or third day I owned my car I stood on the brakes hard on a very nice asphalt surface from about 90 MPH.

The car only had about 7100 miles on it at the time, and it darted around like the front tires were junk, or the road surface was irregular. Neither was true, and after racking the car to inspect the suspension and steering for a defect of some sort or something loose, I started doing some homework.

That is when I discovered the liquid/gel filled LCA bushing, certainly a nice design in theory (liquid filled engine mounts certainly dampen vibration, but obviously allow for major amounts of movement under torque), but evidently lacking in the control department.

Just like many people here on the forums, I have used poly leaf spring and suspension bushings, engine and trans. mounts, etc; for decades. Although I am still becoming familiar with this F stuff, minimizing flex in the suspension components is equally important in even the most refined factory suspension set ups.

Money well spent for me.