IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fairly stable at a buck-fifty...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 04:04 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fairly stable at a buck-fifty...

So I had the opportunity to spend some time at my favorite closed course today. Made a few warm up runs in the 115-125 MPH range, then ran it hard to 150. For such a short wheelbase, relatively small car, these F's are fairly stable well into the triple digits.

That is not to say the car drives itself, anyone who has driven one of these at that speed will tell you they can be a handful even with small anamolies in the asphalt. I will say the brakes on these cars are fairly stellar for a production sedan, particular when braking hard from repeated triple digit runs.

This car is stock with the exception of Swift springs in the front only (although the lowered stance in front helped eliminate the inherent understeer these cars possess, I think the car handled better when cornered hard with the stock springs), FIGS LCA bushings, an F-Sport rear sway bar, and a Joe Z exhaust system.

Currently 9300 miles, still loving this car.
Old 04-05-15, 04:40 PM
RNISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine to 142 on a bumpy country backroad last night. Felt like i was going 70. Stock with only exhaust.
Old 04-05-15, 04:41 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Pics and or vid or it didn't happen lol
Old 04-05-15, 04:47 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Mismatched springs are a recipe for an ill handling car. Much more suspension tuning is required if you are attempting to attenuate the inherent understeer from the factory. Besides, in the IS-F, you can eliminate that understeer with your right foot by getting the rear to step out a bit, judiciously of course.

Ken.
Old 04-05-15, 05:23 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

haha yeah wheres the video at!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-05-15, 09:17 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KJH
Mismatched springs are a recipe for an ill handling car. Much more suspension tuning is required if you are attempting to attenuate the inherent understeer from the factory. Besides, in the IS-F, you can eliminate that understeer with your right foot by getting the rear to step out a bit, judiciously of course.

Ken.
Oh I am certainly not afraid to hang the rear end out with throttle use! I learned to drive Big Block American cars with a perceived weight bias of about 70/30 (!!!!) long before the advent of any type of electronic traction control. Traction control to me was a tight posi and quick right foot.
Old 04-05-15, 09:18 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lmood
Pics and or vid or it didn't happen lol
Oh it happened!!! I had a passenger who had never been over a buck twenty in her life, she was excited to say the least.
Old 04-05-15, 09:19 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshhleee
haha yeah wheres the video at!
Josh I will definitely have a Go-Pro or dash cam the next time I am out. Where are you in CA btw?
Old 04-05-15, 09:21 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RNISF
Took mine to 142 on a bumpy country backroad last night. Felt like i was going 70. Stock with only exhaust.
I hope it was a very desolate back road!!!!!!
Old 04-06-15, 12:26 PM
Turbogoat3
Driver School Candidate

Second that ^^
Old 04-06-15, 01:54 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U can do more than 150 and still very stable and smooth check out those socal canyon driving clips . There are long section of flat roads to Idlywild , where you can do almost flat out with the HCP blocked the road for us
Old 04-06-15, 06:19 PM
quarius
Pole Position

It really is stable at 150+. Been able to take turns on the track at that speed and held great. Finally found a video I made several years ago when I first got the car. Unfortunately the road isn't as great as I would've liked it but the car still felt good and was able to keep it in control easily. Having a passenger hold the camera behind you going those speeds though isn't very stable lol.

Old 04-06-15, 08:05 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quarius
It really is stable at 150+. Been able to take turns on the track at that speed and held great. Finally found a video I made several years ago when I first got the car. Unfortunately the road isn't as great as I would've liked it but the car still felt good and was able to keep it in control easily. Having a passenger hold the camera behind you going those speeds though isn't very stable lol.

ISF is FAST - YouTube
Jeff I considered having my passenger hold an iPhone to record, but she had never driven (or riidden in) a car faster than 120, and I wanted her to enjoy the ride. She has actually driven several of my cars well over 100, including my F 120, but I told her how very different 150-170 is in comparison.
Old 04-06-15, 09:51 PM
quarius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCalISF
Jeff I considered having my passenger hold an iPhone to record, but she had never driven (or riidden in) a car faster than 120, and I wanted her to enjoy the ride. She has actually driven several of my cars well over 100, including my F 120, but I told her how very different 150-170 is in comparison.
Very true, passing the 150 mark is a whole different ballgame. Lots of fun, but a single mistake or bump in the road can change things very quickly lol. Drive dangerously safe out there guys!
Old 04-07-15, 12:25 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel 150 is the sweet spot for the ISF. I am able to cruise for long distances in the 120-140mph range and hit speeds in excess of 150. To me the car feels at home when I'm at 150. I am on stock suspension and have FIGS front LCA bushings, FIGS racing control arms and an F-sport rear sway bar. A few weeks ago a friend of mine said he thought we were going 90mph when we were actually going 155.

Quick Reply: Fairly stable at a buck-fifty...