IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Almost ready to roll......

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 08:34 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost ready to roll......

Picked up a few goodies for this years track season. First a set of Pirelli slicks. I've wanted to try them but didn't want to spend $3000 on new ones so I decided to grab a set of scrubs. They are with lots of meat but won't know if they are heat cycled out until I try them out, its a small gamble.

And also a set of Hoosier R7's, I can't wait to try these out.

Last edited by Compthis; 04-01-15 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 08:49 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Let us know how it goes. I've been curious about slicks and from caymandriver's experience, it seems to give you more consistent times.
Old 04-01-15, 08:51 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by idoke1
Let us know how it goes. I've been curious about slicks and from caymandriver's experience, it seems to give you more consistent times.
Caymandriver runs the quarter, I'm running road course. Totally different but yes, it does help with consistency.
Old 04-01-15, 11:33 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

wow its going to grip like no other.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-02-15, 06:07 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slicks make a HUGE difference at the Track.

I spent a week racing at Miller Speedway, driving fully factory track prepped mustangs both with and without slicks. The difference was night and day once warmed up.
Old 04-02-15, 06:34 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
slicks make a HUGE difference at the Track.

I spent a week racing at Miller Speedway, driving fully factory track prepped mustangs both with and without slicks. The difference was night and day once warmed up.
I ran the stock size Michelin PSS and found the car was all over the track. A street tire really teaches you how to drive as you must be more composed going around. After a few days on PSS's and gained knowledge, I ran the R6 and really enjoyed them. The problem is they compensate for mistakes and hide the flaws. They never broke loose on me once. An amazing tire, you tell the car where to go and it goes. I'm expecting the R7 to be the same if not a little better.
Old 04-02-15, 09:35 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Oooh nice rubber
Old 04-03-15, 01:53 PM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be interesting to see how drivetrain and suspension components hold up to the new found grip. Slicks tend to help beat the **** out of a car/chassis/components. Can't wait to hear your results.
Old 04-03-15, 05:00 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by got556
Will be interesting to see how drivetrain and suspension components hold up to the new found grip. Slicks tend to help beat the **** out of a car/chassis/components. Can't wait to hear your results.
I have no concern with the Hoosiers as I ran the R6 last year but I'm a bit worried about the pirellis. The tires themselves are very very light and the sidewall construction is very soft. This tells me I will have to run more pressure on the tires which I'm not looking forward to and the fact the ISF with me in it weighs almost 4000 pounds, going into a corner at high speeds will worry me as I think there is the potential of the tire unbeading from the rim. I'm no expert on tires but the side wall is very very soft and I don't think these tires were made for cars like ours.
Old 04-04-15, 05:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I have no concern with the Hoosiers as I ran the R6 last year but I'm a bit worried about the pirellis. The tires themselves are very very light and the sidewall construction is very soft. This tells me I will have to run more pressure on the tires which I'm not looking forward to and the fact the ISF with me in it weighs almost 4000 pounds, going into a corner at high speeds will worry me as I think there is the potential of the tire unbeading from the rim. I'm no expert on tires but the side wall is very very soft and I don't think these tires were made for cars like ours.
Do they advertize a weight rating? That will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 04-05-15, 12:44 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Do they advertize a weight rating? That will tell you everything you need to know.
I've looked high and low for that and nothing. im going to try them with extream caution and build confidence with every lap.