IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Guys w/Obsidian F's any regrets??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 06:55 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, I don't regret it. Everyone knows how I am about my car. There's detailing, and then there's detailing a black car. It is the biggest PITA to clean, detail, paint correct, and anything else one can associate with maintaining a black paint's luster, but the rewards are more internal than compliments received. I love that anyone who gets near my car is in awe of how shiny and clean it gets after a detail, but I see every wash/detail/correction as a challenge. It's more fun for me to do the best I can and keep what is now a seven-year old IS F as close to showroom quality as possible.

I do agree with SeanGTS. A CQuartz protective barrier would've gone a lot further than just a detail or paint correction, but at the time when I was looking (2010-ish) there were few who had even heard about it and the ones that did were asking a pretty hefty tag to layer it on the car's paint. I personally use 22PLE, and while it doesn't have as long lasting an effect as CQuartz, it's done a great job the few times I've coated my Obsidian.
Old 03-31-15, 09:18 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded my obsidian for a USB. Cant spent most of my saturday morning cleaning and detailing it. Not to mention obsidian tend to hides most of the beautiful curves on our cars. I've seen SFP and Ultra white stand out in dark nights.
Old 03-31-15, 09:51 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Honestly, I don't regret it. Everyone knows how I am about my car. There's detailing, and then there's detailing a black car. It is the biggest PITA to clean, detail, paint correct, and anything else one can associate with maintaining a black paint's luster, but the rewards are more internal than compliments received. I love that anyone who gets near my car is in awe of how shiny and clean it gets after a detail, but I see every wash/detail/correction as a challenge. It's more fun for me to do the best I can and keep what is now a seven-year old IS F as close to showroom quality as possible.

I do agree with SeanGTS. A CQuartz protective barrier would've gone a lot further than just a detail or paint correction, but at the time when I was looking (2010-ish) there were few who had even heard about it and the ones that did were asking a pretty hefty tag to layer it on the car's paint. I personally use 22PLE, and while it doesn't have as long lasting an effect as CQuartz, it's done a great job the few times I've coated my Obsidian.
Great description on caring for a black painted car despite the model. It sounds like how I've taken care of my previous black vehicles, but like you said they are a PITA and the rewards are more internal like you said I couldn't have said it better

Originally Posted by Lexgendboi
Traded my obsidian for a USB. Cant spent most of my saturday morning cleaning and detailing it. Not to mention obsidian tend to hides most of the beautiful curves on our cars. I've seen SFP and Ultra white stand out in dark nights.
Same year or did you move up in MY's?

Once again what the heck is CQuartz and is there a write up on the product?
Old 03-31-15, 11:27 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Without going into too much of the technological side, CQuartz is a brand name for nanotech ceramic paint coating. When applied, it adds another layer on top of the clearcoat, yet still providing a high gloss finish to the paint. One of its most appealing attributes is its self cleaning property. I like to think of this as beading of water after a fresh wax but much more long lasting and ability to repel odd material that may end up on the paint somehow (mud, bird bombs, dirt, bugs, etc.). Another is its hardening layer of protection that has been shown to protect against light scratches or swirls, which is a huge bonus for Obsidian owners.

It is an investment for those who don't feel the need to detail multiple times throughout the year. A simple wipedown or quick detail should suffice. But not once have I heard or read a review of this product or any of its competitors not work.
Old 03-31-15, 11:46 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks, I'll look it up and check out some reviews. Anybody here that has applied it and could share the cost approx??
Old 04-01-15, 03:51 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

I use 22PLE and the 1st time it lasted me up to 20 months, and that's because I had vacation and went and did it again. I recomend fully this product over other coats. Now my detailer got a new 22PLE that last 4-5 years and in not sold anywhere. He is in direct touch with the developers on this stuff. I might do it at the end of my coat.

And yes, Black is a big PITA. I see it like la love/hate thing
Old 04-01-15, 04:19 AM
xianxian
Driver

clean and mean.....

pain in the *** to maintain the perfect black... other than that.... love the car and the color!
Old 04-01-15, 05:40 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

No regrets here. My truck is black so I already knew what I was in for. When the Obsidian F is clean, it's a jaw dropper. Keeping it that way is the challenge.

I did tell me wife her next vehicle will NOT be black though. She currently has a silver 4-Runner which is super low maintenance. I can't handle 3 black vehicles.
Old 04-01-15, 07:29 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
The lexus black is extremely soft.
I don't own the black but man, I can echo this truth about the softness of the MM paint.
I scuffed the bumper BARELY tapping cardboard in the garage. And I mean a cardboard box. This paint is SOFT.
Old 04-01-15, 09:47 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Also to note, some of you live in California compared to I live in Washington state on the coast. Completely different weather situation that impacts paint/frequency of washing/etc.

The black did look nice when it was clean. However, every time I looked at it I could still see swirls, I had it professionally detailed and coated, but it didn't matter, I think it was too late. I'm a guy that would always use the 2 bucket method, (actually 3, one for wheels as well), blown dry, new mitts frequently....
Old 04-01-15, 11:33 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

Originally Posted by Lexgendboi
Felt the exact same. Except it was an IS250. Every wash I saw imperfection. After I gave it a 3 stage polish and protected it with CQuartz UK, I was already tired of caring for it and I ended up selling it for my USB ISF.

Now I have to repeat the polish step again but I won't see as much imperfections on the USB
Old 04-01-15, 11:42 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Well my ISF is black but wifes IS250 is silver so I know what you mean. That said nothing looks better then a freshly waxed black car.

Now my wifes car can go weeks without a good washing and look decent but mine shows everything. I just spent couple G's on to repaint the whole front clip on the F. My car color history go like this blk/slver/slver/slver/blck/slver/blk
Old 04-01-15, 12:45 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Opti Coated my Obsidian IS-F and use ONRWW....no problems here.
Old 04-01-15, 02:09 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

My first IS was a 250 obsidian, I loved it! Then i moved to a SFP IS350, I really enjoyed how clean the SFP color looked and how it brought out the lines and curves of the vehicle. I moved on to a smoky granite mica F in which was blacked out all around except taillights. It looked really bad *** but it came hard on me that I simply wanted an obsidian F. I finally found one in okay condition and I been extremely fulfilled ever since. Black is a challenge but looks elegant and menacing at the same time.
Old 04-01-15, 03:52 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahhhh... Obsidian...

Best color when clean.
Worst when dirty.

In my opinion nothing looks more menacing than a clean black IS-F. I'm biased.