IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Guys w/Obsidian F's any regrets??

Old 03-31-15, 08:54 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Guys w/Obsidian F's any regrets??

I've had plenty of black cars/sports cars in the past and it seems like I'm drawn to black cars. But as everybody knows it's a pain in the you know what to keep it clean and free of swirl marks

Anybody here that has an obsidian and wishes that they got a different color F?

I'm going back and forth between Obsidian and White
Old 03-31-15, 09:00 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Grey hides dirt the best I think, my gf has a black '12 4Runner and that thing is always dirty
Old 03-31-15, 09:02 AM
atowerlexs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who details many a car... just have to be proactive on cleaning and maintaining the paint, tough work, but very rewarding. That being said, can't go wrong between black or white if you are stuck on those two. Personally, I love the nebula-gray option for the F... that paint always shows well and shines even when dirty.
Old 03-31-15, 09:14 AM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrap the entire car in Xpel Ultimate ... pricy, but practically eliminates any user-error when cleaning as any swirls will self-heal.
Old 03-31-15, 10:16 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I've had plenty of black cars/sports cars in the past and it seems like I'm drawn to black cars. But as everybody knows it's a pain in the you know what to keep it clean and free of swirl marks

Anybody here that has an obsidian and wishes that they got a different color F?

I'm going back and forth between Obsidian and White
White is the best, but it's kinda rare
Old 03-31-15, 11:01 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

The Obsidians are hands-down (to me) the most menacing and top 2 gorgeous ISFs on the road. I love the color.

Ask yourself how much time you spend detailing now. I, for one, cannot stop putting my fking hands all over my MM ISF (every weekend & some week nights) so Obsidian would be fine. My F is my Lambo, and it's treated as such. Bring yourself up to speed on the latest products / techniques and buy the best looking black money can buy.
Old 03-31-15, 12:11 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obsidian is beautiful! SFP doesnt hide dirt very well but it just so easy to wash... i would still pick SFP if i have to do it all over again. i think SFP is the most common color for ISFs.
Old 03-31-15, 12:24 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jw669
Wrap the entire car in Xpel Ultimate ... pricy, but practically eliminates any user-error when cleaning as any swirls will self-heal.
That's interesting, does it still allow the paint to shine through unimpeded? How much do you think to do this and have any members here wrapped their whole car with this stuff?
Originally Posted by jspecvtec
White is the best, but it's kinda rare
I don't know which color is the rarest but there are definitely more Obsidians in the classifieds for sure than white!
Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
The Obsidians are hands-down (to me) the most menacing and top 2 gorgeous ISFs on the road. I love the color.

Ask yourself how much time you spend detailing now. I, for one, cannot stop putting my fking hands all over my MM ISF (every weekend & some week nights) so Obsidian would be fine. My F is my Lambo, and it's treated as such. Bring yourself up to speed on the latest products / techniques and buy the best looking black money can buy.
Good point on using the latest products to keep up with the obsidian color

I don't know the obsidian seems like a darker black than other blacks from other manufacturers and your right it does seem to make the car look menacing as you put it I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-31-15, 12:38 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I don't know which color is the rarest but there are definitely more Obsidians in the classifieds for sure than white!
Ultra White(13-14), Liquid Platinum(13-14), and Nebula Gray Pearl(12-14) are the rarest colors. They were only offered on the later years which had very limited numbers.

after those it would be:
Matador Red Mica
Smokey Granite Mica
Ultrasonic Blue
Starfire Pearl
Mercury Metallic
Obsidian
Old 03-31-15, 12:44 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't regret it for a second. The car looks awesome.
Old 03-31-15, 12:48 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^Makes sense so there are more Obsidians out there than any other color
Old 03-31-15, 12:52 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
Ultra White(13-14), Liquid Platinum(13-14), and Nebula Gray Pearl(12-14) are the rarest colors. They were only offered on the later years which had very limited numbers.

after those it would be:
Matador Red Mica
Smokey Granite Mica
Ultrasonic Blue
Starfire Pearl
Mercury Metallic
Obsidian
Interesting, I thought USB would've been the most highly produced. Those are all I see around here with the exception of two Obsidians and one Starfire.
Old 03-31-15, 01:11 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Interesting, I thought USB would've been the most highly produced. Those are all I see around here with the exception of two Obsidians and one Starfire.
don't take that as gospel, that is just what I saw on autotrader while I was looking for my ISF. I would occasionally add up the number of cars in each color and do a percentage. Mercury metallic and obsidian were very close, also smokey granite and ultrasonic blue were very close
Old 03-31-15, 04:09 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated it, one of the reasons I sold it. I'm still looking for a SFP again.

If you are picky about your cars, the obsidian shows everything. The lexus black is extremely soft. I had the car ceramic coated, but it was to late. If I had an obsidian again, I would Cquarts/Gtechnique it as soon as I could.
Old 03-31-15, 04:35 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^What do you mean ceramic coated? Also what is the Cquarts/Gtechnique that you speak of?

I'm still torn on which color to get, and it might come down to what I get a better deal on to be honest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guys w/Obsidian F's any regrets??