IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

keep coming back to lexus opinions wanted on getting isf or is350

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 11:51 AM
20tspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep coming back to lexus opinions wanted on getting isf or is350

well i currently drive a corolla and buick verano turbo tuned on e85.
use to live in florida now im in Nebraska :/ snow ftl
anyways i want to replace my buick when my lease is up with a car i can enjoy for 6+ years to come. just have other priorities now ,then making cars go fast. at first it came down to 3 cars new sti new golf r or focus rs and the more i thought about it they just didn't make sense, anymore. couldn't trust there reliabilty for 6+ years. gona turn 30 and wife wants another kid ect ect. so ive come down to 2 choices a isf obviously would need snow tires for winter or a is350 awd.
isf has enough power to keep me happy and i can do a few little mods and enjoy a car that will last a long time.
is 350, i think it looks like nothing on the road and the interior is just awesome. just might think its a little slow compared to what im used to
i cant decide lol
cars i use to own in the past
eclipse gt
saturn ion redline
mk6 gli stage 2= love vw but jokewasgon reliability made me sour
solstice gxp tuned on e85 330whp 400wtq
sonata turbo- bought to try and tune but never panned out.
current car verano turbo tuned on e85 290w 372wtq
and corolla cause i wanted to have something i knew would always start

mr slay if your around your opinion is welcomed. use to see your car all the time
Old 03-23-15, 12:32 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be thoroughly upset if you end up going with the IS350. Drive both and there is no comparison in power. IS350 feels faster than a regular car, but it felt strained to me...like it was lacking and topped out for what you get(maybe I was just expecting too much). The ISF on the other hand has just gobs of power and torque. And the ISF is a full second faster in the quarter. The flow of traffic on SoCal freeways is typically +70mph, and the ISF can pass cars effortlessly without having to go past 3k rpm.
Old 03-23-15, 12:38 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I daily drive my IS-F through Chicago winters and have no problems with a separate set of snow tires.

Its a great car, but as far as tinkering and tuning, its really not meant for that. You have your choice of exhausts and intakes, and headers that people can't get to pass emissions with.

If you buy it, you will love it, but it seems as if you are a "tinker-er" type person and would grow bored of the car.

I sometimes miss my garage queen GTO...always buying something new for the engine or car and tinkering with it in the garage..

Also, the IS350 is a great car, but its not a sports or fast car by any stretch of the imagination. Imagine a slightly bigger corolla with a Lexus badge.
Old 03-23-15, 12:56 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

If performance is a priority OP I would stick with the F. If new tech gadgets and the latest styling are important, go with the 350.
Old 03-23-15, 01:09 PM
20tspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I daily drive my IS-F through Chicago winters and have no problems with a separate set of snow tires.

Its a great car, but as far as tinkering and tuning, its really not meant for that. You have your choice of exhausts and intakes, and headers that people can't get to pass emissions with.

If you buy it, you will love it, but it seems as if you are a "tinker-er" type person and would grow bored of the car.

I sometimes miss my garage queen GTO...always buying something new for the engine or car and tinkering with it in the garage..

Also, the IS350 is a great car, but its not a sports or fast car by any stretch of the imagination. Imagine a slightly bigger corolla with a Lexus badge.
Yeah I was thinking header exhaust intake and nitrous should keep me happy for 6 + years lol
Old 03-23-15, 01:43 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have mine for sale. LMK, stock or modded up to you. FS threads are in my signature.
Old 03-23-15, 03:40 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

I was in the market for a new IS350 RWD. It was a nice drive. Then I thought about the AWD, still nice but definitely not what I would call a torque monster. I debated hard about the 350 mostly because as nice as it was, it just never hit me with that gotta have it feeling. Then I started thinking about the ISF and I found that I could get a 2012 for pretty the same price as new loaded IS350. This was last summer when the F's were still running in the high $40K to low $50K.

I live in Eastern Ontario where we get as much snow and cold winters as anywhere. I am quite pleased with how well the F drives in winter. I have a reasonably good set of winter wheels/tires. The LSD definitely helps with low speed traction and then if you put the car in snow mode on the road it really feels well planted for a high horsepower RWD car. Of course on the flip side if you turn off the skid control nannies you get an instant drift car without having to beat it up like you would on dry pavement.

This car can really give you the best of everything if you ask it too...
Old 03-23-15, 03:56 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I onced had a 2nd gen is350. It ran good and never let me down. I've just recently upgraded to the F. You can see why i like the IS series. Point of choice: both cars (3rd gen is350 and 1st gen ISF) are great choices. Drive them both and you may consider leaning towards the F.

Last edited by idoke1; 03-23-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 04:02 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

get the F, I made the mistake of getting the current gen 350 (now sold) yes its a great car, yes it has a damn nice interior.. but its not 'special' imo.. and you will end up regretting it.. like I did.. you get over the fancy gauges and **** really quickly, I doubt I would get over that V8 though..

currently in the new wrx (meh) and will have my F hopefully sooner than later!
Old 03-23-15, 05:44 PM
20tspeed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISDAS
get the F, I made the mistake of getting the current gen 350 (now sold) yes its a great car, yes it has a damn nice interior.. but its not 'special' imo.. and you will end up regretting it.. like I did.. you get over the fancy gauges and **** really quickly, I doubt I would get over that V8 though..

currently in the new wrx (meh) and will have my F hopefully sooner than later!
Was thinking about a new Wrx but there everywhere and everybody has same mods blah
Old 03-23-15, 05:44 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was first interested in an F the 3G IS cars were still in the distant future. A C63, an M3, and a Porsche Spyder later, I was still kind of bored, as was my wife with her Acura TL. After driving a plethora of '14 ISX50's in every combination imaginable, I got her a nicely optioned IS250.

The car definitely is nice inside and rides good, but is kind of a slug in my opinion. And yes, I drove a bunch of 350's, and yes the extra 102 HP makes a difference, but not enough. While we were at one Lexus dealer during our search for her commuter, there happened to be a low mile F on display. My wife, knowing full well I had an F on my short list, convinced me to take it for a test drive.

Six months of searching for the right car and an F was in the garage next to the commuter IS. I have so much fun with the F I sold the Spyder. For me, a 3G IS, even a 350, would never cut it for a fun driver. Every time I get in my F and light it, it brings an instant smile to my face. The IS's are great drivers, but just that, nothing that really stands out to me as phenomenal.
Old 03-23-15, 06:23 PM
Blkisf12
Driver School Candidate

Get the isf. Rare Fast and it does not break like other brands.

Good luck
Old 03-24-15, 12:03 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same question bothering me every night for about a month,my previous cars were 96 civic,98 Rav4 engine swapped to beams 3sge,then a lexus is200 engine swapped to beams 3sge,then SW20 mr2 3sgte installed so much mods and tuned to 400whp...then before i got married,i sold all my cars and bought my self a camry (i thought i was over it)...the last car i bought was the F,im glad i got the F,my option was the new IS350....sure the new IS350 looks good,new model ofcourse,nice interior (feeling relaxed when driving it)....i bought my F a week after they launched the new IS350 here in the Philippines...some of my friends were telling me i shoulda gotten the new IS350 blah blah blah....but everytime i drive my F and drive it to redline or just above 4000rpm.....it always gives me a smile....a smile that i probably could'nt get with an IS350,so what if it looks good outside and inside when anyone could just go to the dealer and buy it,today i see the IS350 almost everywhere i go,and probably after a few years it'll be replaced with a much better looking interior and exterior IS350 and you'll end up selling it because there's no SOLID reason why you should keep it........
owning an ISF is like owning a mercedes benz E55.....if you drive a MB e class and you pull up next to an E55 you'll be drooling and start wondering what it feels like to drive a powerful,class,decent car like the E55...so to help you.....go with the F

10 years from now, an F is still an F
the IS350 will be just a lexus is350 with a very low resale value
Old 03-24-15, 01:20 AM
ckkone
Driver School Candidate

I didnt even read your post, get an IS F duh....
Old 03-24-15, 01:49 AM
RichFlair
Pole Position

The ISF is like a hot thick women, low maintenance, reliable, and knows how to move when its time to get down. Sure she likes to be fed a lot, but she's worth it. Plus its a better feeling explaining why you got an ISF rather than explaining why you got a 350. In conclusion...

Quick Reply: keep coming back to lexus opinions wanted on getting isf or is350