IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

D Mode Sport feels slow after maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-15, 07:04 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default D Mode Sport feels slow after maintenance

I tried searching and didn't see any existing topics on this. When in Sport, D mode, the car feels noticeably sluggish and doesn't pull. I'm definitely still hitting the "button" below the pedal. If I flip it over into M mode, it pulls just like normal.

I recently did some basic maintenance last weekend. I changed my engine oil and filter, and I replaced my air filter. I also did the maintenance reminder reset (hold Odo, press start twice).

Did this reset do anything with my ECU where it needs to re-learn how I drive in D mode, even with Sport on? It was my understanding that the "learning" only applied with Sport off. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-15, 07:25 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Although i havent changed the oil on my F (just accuire it last month) I'm pretty sure you just need to reset yout ecu and get it relearning again. I had same issue when i had my is350. Everytime after an oil change, my car would run sluggish. Pulled the fuses and drove it around town and its back on par.
Old 03-20-15, 07:26 AM
fearnight
Driver

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 03-20-15, 08:12 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Really thats odd. The computer shouldnt reset unless battery uplugged..
Old 03-20-15, 09:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Although i havent changed the oil on my F (just accuire it last month) I'm pretty sure you just need to reset yout ecu and get it relearning again. I had same issue when i had my is350. Everytime after an oil change, my car would run sluggish. Pulled the fuses and drove it around town and its back on par.
WTF? There is no reason to do this. Your ECM does not ever need to be reset unless there is a DTC or a pending DTC. Your ECM never stops learning. Ever. It is constantly making adjustments to fuel and timing and registering a history which can be extremely valuable when troubleshooting.

Oil change and it feels slower? Are you sure the airbox is properly sealed? My car has never changed how it runs after an oil, oil filter, and air filter change.
Old 03-20-15, 09:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Really thats odd. The computer shouldnt reset unless battery uplugged..
It's foolish to disconnect the battery to reset the ECM. Two fuses and you're all set.
Old 03-20-15, 10:48 AM
fearnight
Driver

SOLVED:

I have the issue fixed. I was searching around and saw another owner with my exact same problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ery-issue.html

I sent him a PM, and he said his problem was occurring because his airbox was not properly sealed. Sure enough, I checked under the hood and my airbox was not engaging the back tab. The box not being sealed must have been creating some turbulence and throwing off the MAF. Just got back from a test drive and all is back to normal. Thank you Vervish!!
Old 03-20-15, 11:14 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Sweet..glad it worked out.
Old 03-20-15, 11:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your ECM does not ever need to be reset unless there is a DTC or a pending DTC. Your ECM never stops learning. Ever. It is constantly making adjustments to fuel and timing and registering a history which can be extremely valuable when troubleshooting.
^^^^This. Folks are always recommending disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU No reason to ever do this, unless your doing something electrical. I will be disconnecting mine next week when my new DCTMS steering wheel arrives

Lou
Old 03-20-15, 01:38 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
WTF? There is no reason to do this. Your ECM does not ever need to be reset unless there is a DTC or a pending DTC. Your ECM never stops learning. Ever. It is constantly making adjustments to fuel and timing and registering a history which can be extremely valuable when troubleshooting.

Oil change and it feels slower? Are you sure the airbox is properly sealed? My car has never changed how it runs after an oil, oil filter, and air filter change.
My is350 had this issue. Everytime i change the oil, it will run sluggish. I notice rough accelerations. When i pulled the fuses and replug them back, it ran better with no hesitation. Same thing happen too when i did a custom exhaust to it. After resetting the ecu, i noticed the power of the true dual exhaust.
Old 03-20-15, 01:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There was something wrong with your car that never got fixed. There is nothing in an oil change to impact the ECM's calibrations.

The ECM starts learning as soon as the coolant is over 140 degrees, and applies long term and short term trim to fuel as soon as the engine hits normal temperature (82C) and goes into closed loop. Seconds. The whole "you need to drive it around for a couple of hundred miles" comes from people who don't know how Toyota's TCCS works.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-20-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 01:59 PM
idoke1
Instructor

^^Nothing was wrong. I even took it to my local lexus dealership and advise this issue. They said it was normal. Pulling the fuse was a faster way of letting it learn to your driving habbit. I did notice when i did a custom exhaust on my F, power gains were instant and off the bat, low end torque was definitely improved.
Old 03-20-15, 02:00 PM
runyonwc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which fuses do you pull to reset the ECU?
Old 03-20-15, 02:08 PM
idoke1
Instructor

^^ Here is the link. Scroll down to post 5 for better description
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-the-ecu.html
Old 03-20-15, 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^Nothing was wrong. I even took it to my local lexus dealership and advise this issue. They said it was normal. Pulling the fuse was a faster way of letting it learn to your driving habbit. I did notice when i did a custom exhaust on my F, power gains were instant and off the bat, low end torque was definitely improved.
They lied to you. It is far from normal. Pulling the fuse makes it forget all your driving, (but it doesn't care about how you drive anyway, that's also a lie), all it does is reset the calibrations to the factory initialization. In 5 minutes, it will be right back where it was before. AMHIK.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-20-15 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: D Mode Sport feels slow after maintenance