IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First Mods? - Thoughts? - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 02:11 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mods? - Thoughts? - Opinions?

Hey all.
Have some extra cash to spend this weekend.
This is what I was thinking: Joe Z intake w/ an afe filter & Tien Street Advance coilovers.

Better idea for around the same price?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-15, 02:27 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Buy some good tires first... but assuming you already have those, buy an exhaust system. The intake and afe filter will do zero for your performance and the adjustable coilovers, while nice, won't get used unless you actually track your car and know what you're looking for out of your suspension. If you're getting coilovers just to improve the stance, you can accomplish that for much cheaper by getting a set of springs. The exhaust enhances the V8 growl, is a trouble-free mod, and also actually improves performance.

But hey, it's a personal decision.
Old 03-18-15, 02:41 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A wise man once said; "buy a track day". Trust me it's totally worth it!
Old 03-18-15, 02:42 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Joez intake and exhaust , everythign else can be later
Old 03-18-15, 02:48 PM
YotaLex
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
Buy some good tires first... but assuming you already have those, buy an exhaust system. The intake and afe filter will do zero for your performance and the adjustable coilovers, while nice, won't get used unless you actually track your car and know what you're looking for out of your suspension. If you're getting coilovers just to improve the stance, you can accomplish that for much cheaper by getting a set of springs. The exhaust enhances the V8 growl, is a trouble-free mod, and also actually improves performance.

But hey, it's a personal decision.
I appreciate your thought. I saw the swift springs, think that would be a better buy? I just liked the adjustability of the coils, but your right, for the price difference.
I just think the Joe Z is visually pleasant to me!
I want the PTS exhaust! But that puts me @ like 2k after install and everything???
Old 03-18-15, 02:55 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by YotaLex
I appreciate your thought. I saw the swift springs, think that would be a better buy? I just liked the adjustability of the coils, but your right, for the price difference.
I just think the Joe Z is visually pleasant to me!
I want the PTS exhaust! But that puts me @ like 2k after install and everything???
I practice what I preach, and I have Swift springs on my car. There's a 10 page thread floating around here somewhere about them, and I've had this debate on several car forums for several different cars throughout my almost 20 years of modding vehicles. I do not believe coilovers offer the average driver who is only going to use his or her car on the street, and will set the coils once and then leave them in that setting forever enough to justify the cost. That's my personal opinion. I've heard all of the arguments for getting coilovers, but I'm unconvinced. Now, if you plan to track your car and know what you're doing with adjusting your various suspension setups, or if you're building a show car that you want to raise and lower depending on road conditions or whatever, then yes, go with the adjustability. Otherwise, you're paying for something you won't use.

As for the Joe Z intake, it's not that it doesn't have aesthetic value, it's just that it won't add any power. As long as you understand it's engine bling and aren't expecting anything more, go for it!
Old 03-18-15, 03:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The question is what do you want to do. Have more power? Have the car handle better? Or do you want to be loud and low to cruise around.
Old 03-18-15, 04:01 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a ton of mods coming off the car soon. Its in my build thread and car for sale thread. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 03-18-15, 08:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If the goal is to just get started with modding and you want to see what is a good ride height, then the coilovers is a good start. Like others have stated, the air filter and intake won't yield much in terms of horsepower. The coilovers will at least give you an idea of what it will look like lowered. In my experience, those who have lowered their cars with coilovers and want that ability to adjust the height, are not too far away from getting new wheels/tires, and even working their way with aesthetic parts such as a front lip or rear diffuser. The order of my mods started the way you did, with the intake with air filter (since both parts needed to be removed anyway) and the coilovers to get a feel for what I wanted to do with the car with the other parts.

Best of luck to you, and post pics so that you can begin your build process as well!
Old 03-18-15, 08:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

The first question is, what do you value, visual performance or mechanical performance? The answer to this question will point you in the direction you need to follow.
Old 03-18-15, 09:23 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Go with joez exhaust, a drop in filter (afe wet, toms, k&n) depending on the mileage of the car you may want to consider figs/superpro bushings to accompany swift stings/ tokico shocks (that's going to be my next big buy)
Old 03-19-15, 06:40 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Hey guys,
To be completely honest... I haven't even hit the mileage for an oil change yet! I just wanted to get out and turn some wrenches.

I was going for something visual and cost effective. However I am not opposed to performance mods!

I wanted to do coils because it would give me the option to drop down an extra inch below the Swift Springs... But for the price, I'm very considerate, an inch drop should change the looks a bit. So now I'm geared toward, Swift Springs and the high performance bushings from Fig. You all have made me doubt my original idea for the intake.

I have a bad history of painting my cars 2-3 times a year... If I don't jump here I'll probably throw the cash and get it sprayed!

I appreciate all of your suggestions and replies! Best mod under 1k???
Old 03-19-15, 06:52 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Best under 1k mod would be to acquire the test model carbon driveshaft that nikogio is selling, it came off my car originally and I dont believe he used it
Old 03-19-15, 07:11 AM
kevintari
Driver

After owning mine for 2 months, my first mods were:

-flat-bottom sport steering wheel (mostly because I like the looks and it's something I see every day, unlike exterior mods)

-EBC yellow stuff brake pads & Motul fluid,

-A day at the track, then

-Swift sport springs (coming this weekend)

Already have good tires. Caliper paint coming next.
Old 03-19-15, 07:23 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to anyone here including me, get whatever you want and can afford.

With that said my first mod was a joez exhaust.

Quick Reply: First Mods? - Thoughts? - Opinions?