IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How to speed up downshift

Old 03-17-15, 12:25 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to speed up downshift

So I was driving in a busy part of town today with a lot of stop and go traffic. Then this previous previous generation E class pulled up next to me and started reving it, his exhaust sounds aftermarket. I am the kind of guy that never race or drive fast on the streets, so I just ignore him. Then when it's green he pulled ahead and maintain at 30 mph or so, when I caught up he started reving again. He had his emblems shaved so I cant tell which model it was

So I was like what the hell...if he is a E350 or E500 he stands no chance, and if he is a E55 AMG the worse case it will be a close match. Different story if he is a E63, but it didnt sound like one. Since I was cruising in AUTO before, I must be at 5th or 6th. So I went into Manual, press the sport button and start downshifting......it took forever.....I was literally just waiting for it to go to 2nd before slamming on the gas...since the street in front of us is running out of room and will reach another red soon. Before I could get to 2nd, he already took off after cruising with me for a bit. When I finally got to 2nd and the engine growl started, I flew past him and let him hear the borla but we already hit the red...he turned right. I just thought I missed the fun.....

It was a hot day in LA...so the engine oil is well warmed up. And since we have so many gears, I often times find downshift sluggish and esp it cant skip gears..it has to go in sequentially. I have little to complain about the upshifts, but downshift..am I missing something here? Any idea on how to speed up the downshift?

I think dual clutch is way faster in both up and down....
Old 03-17-15, 12:32 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

yes it can shift very quickly down gear, double tap or tripple if you want
Old 03-17-15, 01:10 AM
hamooduae
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

well lets someone who street race to help us with a 0-100 km/h whats the best way to star an isf launch !! ?? put on manual or D ,,,,any suggestion for a RED LIGHT RACE
Old 03-17-15, 01:21 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

bad idea to race in stop and go traffic, but for downshifting , just keep tappin the paddles, the car wont let you downshift to the point it'll hurt the engine lol, just super high RPM.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-17-15, 01:41 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by hamooduae
well lets someone who street race to help us with a 0-100 km/h whats the best way to star an isf launch !! ?? put on manual or D ,,,,any suggestion for a RED LIGHT RACE
manual, sport mode, one foot one brake , one foot on gas pedal , rev up about 2500 to 3k rpm . Green you let go the brake foot and floor the gas pedal that is launching, need practice to be perfect . U can turn off traction control too lol
Old 03-17-15, 02:37 AM
dabs
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If u in 5th gear, just floor it in auto mode and once the car has downshifted to optimal gear, switch to manual.
Old 03-17-15, 04:12 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Isf4life has it down! I love every opportunity I get to "launch" at a stop light, I did a few weeks ago and didn't know a cop was a few cars back and luckily I only took it to 60mph, he was impressed to say the least and let me go with a warning.
Old 03-17-15, 05:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kiryu
And since we have so many gears, I often times find downshift sluggish and esp it cant skip gears..it has to go in sequentially. I have little to complain about the upshifts, but downshift..am I missing something here? Any idea on how to speed up the downshift?
Not that it has to do with speed, but in the ISx50, shifting into manual mode would cause the car to jump down a few gears into something better suited for acceleration. I was disappointed to find the IS F didn't do the same thing, until I found that holding the left paddle mimicked that function (I think it's two or three gears or something in the F).

Again, it's not fast (and certainly not faster than just stepping on the throttle in auto mode), but it's there for a more casual gear drop.
Old 03-17-15, 06:07 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None of my two ISFs would launch at 2.5k or above RPM, I'd be sitting at the stop light spinning the tires, for me it's like 1.5k RPM. Back to the question, quick downshifts are easy, just don't step on the gas while downshifting.
Old 03-17-15, 06:11 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

U couldve figure it out by looking at their brake caliper if it was amg...but any how, just keep tapping the - shifter and it will let you go to the right gear, it will just beep if its too much - downshift.
Old 03-17-15, 08:27 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

2 taps down per shift, and also apply some throttle as you downshift ever so slightly helps a ton
Old 03-17-15, 08:42 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Ok guys thanks a bunch! will try out
- quick double tapping with a little gas
- quick taps without gas
- floor the gas while in Auto
I guess I havent tried out the car enough to know its behavior.... from the few times i have tried on the freeway..it takes a while to get from 8th to 4th...it was doing it one by one...will try the double quick tap thing to see if it helps
Old 03-17-15, 11:31 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Double-tap works pretty well for me. Also I don't mash the gas when trying to get into a much lower gear
Old 03-17-15, 12:28 PM
NarsISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of E63s.. My buddy has one with straight pipes and he wanted to see how our cars would do against eachother. On a launch, I had him by car, 1st gear roll twice, he was at my rear bumper both times. 2nd gear roll we were pretty much dead even.
Mind you my ISF is bone stock.. The E63's come stock with 500+ HP but people dont understand how heavy these cars are..
Old 03-17-15, 01:00 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
Double-tap works pretty well for me. Also I don't mash the gas when trying to get into a much lower gear
Agreed, I just double tap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to speed up downshift