Need Help From Body Repair Experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 04:32 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help From Body Repair Experts

Hello,

So unfortunately someone in the past week hit my car while I was shopping and I am looking to get it repaired. Cost is not much of a concern, but since I do not know the process of the repair I wanted some help from you guys.

Shop A includes :

1) Re / re rear bumper
2) Repair all scratches / dents etc to bumper
3) Prep repairs for refinish
4) Blend base coat for colour match
5) Refinish bumper complete.

We will be adding flex agents and adhesion promoters when refinishing

The cost of this repair would be $325 + tax @ 13% this was an email quote w/photos

Shop B includes :

Complete bumper repaint. $450 + tax @ 13%
P/U and drop off of vehicle with same day service (they have some drying booth?)
They came to me @ work and gave me a quote in person.

Both companies have a lifetime guarantee and both have somewhat good reviews.

I am confused because shop B says that the rear bumper must be completely repainted because the location of the scratch is in a spot that cannot be blended properly. I don't mind the extra money if Shop A is taking shortcuts, but ideally I would like to keep as much of my money as possible.

What option would you take? Is the $$ too high for Toronto?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Need Help From Body Repair Experts-img_0341.jpg   Need Help From Body Repair Experts-img_0342.jpg   Need Help From Body Repair Experts-img_0345.jpg  

Last edited by joshv06; 03-16-15 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 03-16-15, 04:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Dude...did you try just compouding/polishing that? Looks like it might come out...
Old 03-16-15, 04:41 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Dude...did you try just compouding/polishing that? Looks like it might come out...
To be honest I did not. I assumed that wouldn't do anything because it looks like the paint is missing (I see white instead of black). Would polishing bring the paint back? I got some Turtle polishing compound somewhere, but no polisher.
Old 03-16-15, 04:47 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be blended they don't need to repaint the whole bumper. Exact same thing happen to me and they blended and you can't even tell.
Old 03-16-15, 09:20 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a former detailer, I can tell you that can probably be buffed out 95% if not 100%. If you don't want to do it yourself you can take it to any car detail place and they can do it pretty quick, and for pretty cheap. I'd try that before even considering touching up or repainting it. A few months ago a gate at the entrance to a subdivision closed on the side of my wife's car and left some NASTY scuffs on the mirror and door and I was sure it would need to have paint work done, but after about 30 mins with a buffer and some compound, polish & wax it looked better than it did before the incident.

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-16-15 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 08:03 AM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jleonard71
As a former detailer, I can tell you that can probably be buffed out 95% if not 100%. If you don't want to do it yourself you can take it to any car detail place and they can do it pretty quick, and for pretty cheap. I'd try that before even considering touching up or repainting it. A few months ago a gate at the entrance to a subdivision closed on the side of my wife's car and left some NASTY scuffs on the mirror and door and I was sure it would need to have paint work done, but after about 30 mins with a buffer and some compound, polish & wax it looked better than it did before the incident.
Thanks, good idea. I dislike the idea of painting.
Old 03-17-15, 11:33 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If they did paint they will more than likely blend the paint and then reclear the bumper. But I would try the buff and polish first.
Old 03-17-15, 12:25 PM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard you don't blend black or white. you paint the whole panel.

I agree that you just need to buff it out first. It should mostly come out.
Old 03-17-15, 01:07 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

If it can;t be polished out. Then I would respray the whole bumper.
Old 03-17-15, 01:17 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I had something similar happen a few months back and both of those price quotes seem reasonable to repaint/seal the rear bumper removed from the car.

Do a quick Google search for the two companies and see what other consumers have to say and if your accident is covered through insurance, you should get a lifetime warranty from the repair company for the paint and as part of the repair process. For the coverage reason, you may want to choose a vendor that is reputable and established.
Old 03-17-15, 03:11 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You can blend just about any color. The problem comes when you throw pearl, flakes or metallics in the mix. Every paint companies pigments are different and most of the times the add-ins (pearl, metalics and flakes) to the paint don't lay right you will often see splotching where the add-ins gathered together in the gun during spraying. When you respray a whole panel you run into the problem with the adjacent panels not matching. If the they were redoing the whole bumper a repitutple shop would also throw color onto the adjacent panels to ensure a match as close as possible then reclear those panels that were resprayed. His estimate would be a lot more that what he was quoted if that were the case.