IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My F left me stranded on a busy highway

Old 03-15-15, 08:46 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My F left me stranded on a busy highway

So thursday night i picked up my F from the dealership after i took it on for the Potential Fuel Leak recall, drove home ( 10 miles away ) and parked it on my garage as usual not driving it hard at all.
Well my F is my weekend car so i did not drive it until saturday afternoon, when me and my wife where planning on going to a nice dinner.

I proceed to turn on the car and let it warm up for about five minutes like i always do, she get in the car and off we go, My house is really close to the interstate so right at the light i push the sport button,and off i go into the on rap.

First gear no problem at all, second gear no problem, third gear all good until it would not upshift and bounced off the rev limiter. I immediately let off the gas, as i was doing that check engine light came on and car shot off... Thankfully i was able to coast to the shoulder and stop safely

I tried to start the car back on and it would crank but not start, tried that a couple times and nothing... My gas light was on so immediately i thought crap for the first time i ran out of gas! So i called my brother and he brings me 5 gallons of premium gas, i tried to start the car and nothing.... I ended up calling road side assistance and after waiting for about 1 hour on a really busy highway I 75 and a ticked off wife my car on a flat bed on the way to the Lexus dealership. When we dropped the car off at Lexus i tried to start it one more time, and it fired but as soon as i gave it some gas it shot off again, tried it again and same thing, i gave up and i am impatiently waiting until Monday so i can find out WTF happen to my car, hopefully is nothing serious

Anyone has had this problem before?

Last edited by JDM-V8FL; 03-15-15 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-15-15, 08:59 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Wow, sounds pretty scary , it had to do with the fuel gasket ? hope everything goes well.
Old 03-15-15, 09:19 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

shoot lol... how many miles on your car ?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-15-15, 09:20 PM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

20,160 miles
Old 03-15-15, 09:28 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

hopefully it has to do with the work done due to the recall and the dealer covers whatevers going on.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-15-15, 09:30 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but you broke the rule of never letting the dealership touch your car unless absolutely necessary. Dealership did over 10k in damage to my last F, hope they didn't do the same for you.
Old 03-15-15, 09:43 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but you broke the rule of never letting the dealership touch your car unless absolutely necessary. Dealership did over 10k in damage to my last F, hope they didn't do the same for you.
I am starting to agree.. My car has been to Dealer just once since I got it 3 months ago for an oil change.
I later noticed my hood set a little crooked!!

Took it back and showed them , and goofy mechanic , who I had met earlier,
left the positive battery cable cover off and it was keeping hood from shutting all the way flush..

Good Night!!!! Even Toyota Mechanics never done that on my Toyotas over the years!!

Evidently, Lexus is not getting the best of the Mechanics in town...

Cheers, Z
Old 03-15-15, 10:11 PM
got556
Rookie

I hope you just ran out of gas and it fried your fuel pump. But if the car didn't start after once trying it after it died, you should have left it alone. I did this once with an old 4.0 Jeep XJ and proceeded to do much more damage by cranking the motor trying to get it to start. Hope all is well and the dealership takes care of you.
Old 03-15-15, 10:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The likelihood of frying the fuel pump is almost zero. There is a housing inside the fuel tank to ensure the pump is continuously bathed in fuel to prevent failure even at very low fuel levels. Toyota has been doing this since the MkIV Supra, so they're pretty good at it.

Sounds more like there's a problem with the work they did on the fuel pressure sensor seal. Sounds like it could be leaking. The install procedure is not simple and is loaded with "if you screwed up and didn't do this part right, you'll need to start over with a new seal" at three different stages (maybe more) so it's very possible they jacked it up.
Old 03-16-15, 04:01 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to read this!

Not what you want to see after they allegedly fixed your car!

Will keep everything crossed for you mate.

Let us know what they say caused it etc.
Old 03-16-15, 06:27 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
So thursday night i picked up my F from the dealership after i took it on for the Potential Fuel Leak recall, drove home ( 10 miles away ) and parked it on my garage as usual not driving it hard at all. Well my F is my weekend car so i did not drive it until saturday afternoon, when me and my wife where planning on going to a nice dinner. I proceed to turn on the car and let it warm up for about five minutes like i always do, she get in the car and off we go, My house is really close to the interstate so right at the light i push the sport button,and off i go into the on rap. First gear no problem at all, second gear no problem, third gear all good until it would not upshift and bounced off the rev limiter. I immediately let off the gas, as i was doing that check engine light came on and car shot off... Thankfully i was able to coast to the shoulder and stop safely I tried to start the car back on and it would crank but not start, tried that a couple times and nothing... My gas light was on so immediately i thought crap for the first time i ran out of gas! So i called my brother and he brings me 5 gallons of premium gas, i tried to start the car and nothing.... I ended up calling road side assistance and after waiting for about 1 hour on a really busy highway I 75 and a ticked off wife my car on a flat bed on the way to the Lexus dealership. When we dropped the car off at Lexus i tried to start it one more time, and it fired but as soon as i gave it some gas it shot off again, tried it again and same thing, i gave up and i am impatiently waiting until Monday so i can find out WTF happen to my car, hopefully is nothing serious Anyone has had this problem before?
What dealership did you use for the recall work?
Old 03-16-15, 07:08 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Germaine Lexus of Naples!

My service advisor called me and said that the car is ready, I asked her what was wrong with my car and she said something with antifreeze on the spark plugs... WTF?? She said that I can talk to the mechanic when I go pick up the car because she couldn't explanation what happen!! She did offer to pay for the towing charges.... I'll update once I pick it up from the dealership
Old 03-16-15, 07:35 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Antifreeze on spark plugs??? Hopefully thats not the case. It would lead me to conclude a BHG. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-16-15, 07:47 AM
JDM-V8FL
Driver

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^Antifreeze on spark plugs??? Hopefully thats not the case. It would lead me to conclude a BHG. Let us know how it goes.
What's a BHG?
Old 03-16-15, 07:54 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM-V8FL
What's a BHG?
Bad head gasket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My F left me stranded on a busy highway