IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dealer Road Tested My IsF

Old 03-17-15, 08:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
The tech should've thouhght about it before driving the car at that rate of speed.

I'm pretty sure he thought about it, but decided to go for it anyways thinking he wouldn't get caught.
Old 03-17-15, 08:32 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

i believe that the OP doesnt have the intention to have the tech to be dismissed. Even if "WE" tell the SA that the tech drove our car recklessly and we don't want them to get fired, its up to the dealer to make the call. As an example would be the prosecutor, even if you're not going to file any charges that someone commited a crime, but the DA or prosecuter wanted to, then what can we do?
Old 03-17-15, 08:42 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've taken both of my cars to this dealership in the past, so reading this thread has been shocking to me. Now, I'm wondering how they've treated my F while it was there. Another factoid that needs to be highlighted here is the tremendous amount of road construction currently going on in front of this dealership and on the feeder roads in the area of this dealership. How this guy was even able to find a stretch of road to reach 128 mph is amazing. And, it brings to light how irresponsible this guy really is to reach these speeds in the first place under the current road conditions.

I'm in complete agreement as to how the OP handled this situation. As some have stated, the OP did not cost the tech his job. The tech's blatant disregard for the law, the safety of himself and others, and the complete lack of forethought as to the potential consequences of his actions led to the tech's dismissal by the dealership. I think the dealership acted swiftly and responsibly, bottom line. With that being said, I'm still going to think twice before I take my cars back there for any kind of service.

The dealership is aware of how this looks to their customers, both present and future. What people need to remember is that perception is reality, especially in the service industry. If the word gets out on this forum and the internet that Lexus of Clear Lake mistreats their customer's vehicles without retribution, it's bad for business and paints the dealership as irresponsible. News travels fast within a community, especially bad news.

The dealership's actions were swift and decisive and handled appropriately for the actions of the tech. I'm just thankful to the OP for capturing this incident on video and bringing it to the attention of the dealership. I appreciate the dealership addressing it as they did, so it (hopefully) doesn't happen again.

My overall impression of this dealership is damaged because of this incident, but is repairable because of how they handled it.

Last edited by SatComm302; 03-17-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 09:35 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys keep saying that the dealer acted swiftly and it was ultimately their decision...yes to an extent that is true. I have confronted a dealer with my dash cam footage before too. I started my conversation with the dealer as follows, "I want this to be used as a training tool, and I absolutely will not give you specific details on the incident if your intentions are to fire anyone involved. If I wanted that to be the outcome, believe me I would've let the video go viral on my monetized youtube account. If you can assure me these techs won't be fired, I will forward over the video...but that being said, if I get wind that they were fired, I will then post it on the forums and youtube anyways, so please keep your word and use it strictly for training purposes. I am not looking for a wet floor sign to slip on, or trying to get money out of this, I want you to be aware of what occurred and hopefully through education and minor discipline, you can maintain the integrity of your dealership while allowing this incident to be a free training tool towards the betterment of your staff". My dealer responded by THANKING ME, and assuring me that I am the only reason those techs have their jobs, but per my request they will train them and not let them go over it. They thanked me for my maturity in the situation and commended the way it was approached.

I know the OP didn't directly ASK the dealer to fire the tech, but wording is everything. Telling the dealer that your tech has no regards for property or life is really not approaching it in a manner that screams "please spare this poor tech his job".

And just to clarify, I own my own business, where even simple mistakes can cost millions of dollars in malpractice, so I don't say this lightly. If the OP had an ounce of compassion, he would still try to rectify the situation and call the dealer back and tell them you're not pleased with how it was approached, that you're not trying to profit on this, and while you respect their decision, you politely ask they reconsider - in exchange for not taking anything for compensation from the dealer, and deleting this thread. If it means that much to you, I will even pitch in a few hundred bucks towards an extended warranty for you. Let me know, thanks!
Old 03-17-15, 10:07 AM
VDODSON
Driver

The OP did use this as a learning experience, it taught others what happens when you break the rules and maliciously misuse a customers car. There are consequences to every action, in this particular occasion the consequence was the employee losing his job. The OP is in no fault whatsoever, and did what is right.

If the customer had respect for personal property, they would have never done what they did. Most customers would be relieved that the employee no longer works there, less of a chance of them repeating said action on their vehicle. That particular young man learned a valuable lesson that he will carry for the rest of this life. The fact that some folks have the audacity to blame for the OP for the employee getting fired is ridiculous and abhorrent.

I've learned a lot in 15 years in the military, and the most important thing to date is personal responsibility and respect for others. With that being said, we all make mistakes, but you better be prepared to pay the consequence for that mistake if you're willing to make it.
Old 03-17-15, 11:09 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VDODSON
The OP did use this as a learning experience, it taught others what happens when you break the rules and maliciously misuse a customers car. There are consequences to every action, in this particular occasion the consequence was the employee losing his job. The OP is in no fault whatsoever, and did what is right.

If the customer had respect for personal property, they would have never done what they did. Most customers would be relieved that the employee no longer works there, less of a chance of them repeating said action on their vehicle. That particular young man learned a valuable lesson that he will carry for the rest of this life. The fact that some folks have the audacity to blame for the OP for the employee getting fired is ridiculous and abhorrent.

I've learned a lot in 15 years in the military, and the most important thing to date is personal responsibility and respect for others. With that being said, we all make mistakes, but you better be prepared to pay the consequence for that mistake if you're willing to make it.
So let me get this straight. In your entire working experience, you never once made a mistake that could've cost you your job, but either didn't get caught or someone had mercy on you? You don't have to answer that question publicly, but silently reflect on that to yourself. I pray the weight of everyone's condemnation against this tech isn't used against any of you IF or WHEN you do make a mistake at the workplace.
Old 03-17-15, 11:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

and the most important thing to date is personal responsibility and respect for others. With that being said, we all make mistakes, but you better be prepared to pay the consequence for that mistake if you're willing to make it.
^^^^ This. RESPECT for others and their property was once a cornerstone of American Society. Sadly the notion seems to be diminishing. Some folks take advantage of others and their property in horrendous ways. Those folks need to be held accountable and IMHO, in the OPs instance, firing of the employee was entirely appropriate.

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
So let me get this straight. In your entire working experience, you never once made a mistake that could've cost you your job, but either didn't get caught or someone had mercy on you? You don't have to answer that question publicly, but silently reflect on that to yourself. I pray the weight of everyone's condemnation against this tech isn't used against any of you IF or WHEN you do make a mistake at the workplace.
I'll answer that question - I'm 76 years old, and retired. I worked for over 50 years, starting when I was 17 and retiring when I was 68. - I was never unemployed and never received unemployment. And the answer to your question - Did I make mistakes, Yep I sure did, everyone does. But, did I ever take any action that I knew was wrong and may have been worthy of dismissal - NOPE - NEVER!!!!!

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 03-17-15 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 11:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

So let me get this straight. In your entire working experience, you never once made a mistake that could've cost you your job, but either didn't get caught or someone had mercy on you?

This was not a 'mistake' though. You don't mistakenly drive a car to 120+ mph. It's one thing to go 10mph over the limit, but 128 mph? If that's not intentional, then I don't know what is. It's not like the guy accidentally used 5w20 oil instead of 0w20.
Old 03-17-15, 11:28 AM
VDODSON
Driver

I'll answer it publicly, I don't mind. I was fired from a grocery store in Chandler AZ at the age of 15 for placing a pack of gum in my pocket. It taught me a valuable lesson, and I have never been in trouble since. In the USAF we take safety seriously, due to idiotic mistakes can end up costing someone their life which happens far to often. If you do something idiotic or against regulations, you pay the price, whether that be paperwork or actually losing your job. It is used as a deterrent, a way to instill discipline and as a way to promote a fair and equal work environment.

This isn't personal, its business... I hope the individual grows from this experience, but I am not sympathetic to him in the least. Actions have consequences, this is one of them.
Old 03-17-15, 11:34 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
This was not a 'mistake' though. You don't mistakenly drive a car to 120+ mph. It's one thing to go 10mph over the limit, but 128 mph? If that's not intentional, then I don't know what is. It's not like the guy accidentally used 5w20 oil instead of 0w20.
I agree, it depends on the severity of your mistake. There was a thread here in our forum, that a tech mistakenly put the negative to positive charge on the battery. It was a mistake, but i think getting terminated is too sever for that matter. But dang, driving 120+mph is asking for trouble...
Old 03-17-15, 11:53 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should see how they handle your isf or ls600 in oklahoma city lol "valet"
Old 03-17-15, 11:53 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if those who think the tech losing his job might think twice about their stance if presented slightly different circumstances....

What if the tech worked in a gun shop and took an assault rifle into the street and fired a bunch of bullets into the air? Sure, they probably won't land on anybody, but wouldn't that be suitable grounds for one to be removed from their job?

What if you were a new parent driving with your infant in the car on the road where the tech took the F to 128 mph? How would you feel about that compromise to your safety?

Are the two above scenarios actually that dissimilar? I don't believe they are....
Old 03-17-15, 01:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

It is impossible for anyone on this board to second guess why the dealership chose the path they did. There might be a hundred other reasons why this was the straw that broke the camel's back, or it could be their insurance company said we don't insure this kind of activity, or, or, or...

Sympathy for losing the job? Sure, it sucks to be unexpectedly unemployed. But sympathy for ignoring basic rules of treating a customer's car with due care, well, no sympathy there. Hopefully it is a lesson and the former employee grows up a little bit by taking responsibility for his actions.

And specifically, if you are going to go into a dealership and TELL them what they need to do with the evidence you are handing them, don't waste their time giving them anything. I would tell you, if you don't trust me as the employer to handle this appropriately, I don't need to see what happened. The customer will not dictate how I choose to handle HR decisions, I will.
Old 03-17-15, 01:21 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
I agree that mistake may have not been the right word, I should've used "made a bad decision".

I'll answer it publicly, I don't mind. I was fired from a grocery store in Chandler AZ at the age of 15 for placing a pack of gum in my pocket. It taught me a valuable lesson, and I have never been in trouble since. In the USAF we take safety seriously, due to idiotic mistakes can end up costing someone their life which happens far to often. If you do something idiotic or against regulations, you pay the price, whether that be paperwork or actually losing your job. It is used as a deterrent, a way to instill discipline and as a way to promote a fair and equal work environment.

This isn't personal, its business... I hope the individual grows from this experience, but I am not sympathetic to him in the least. Actions have consequences, this is one of them.
I appreciate your perspective and thank you for your service. I can see both sides of it honestly. Having spent some time as a corrections officer working with Juvenile offenders many years ago, I see both sides of this. To one extent, firing him could've taught him a valuable lesson and he may never repeat it again. Or a slap on the wrist could've spared him a potential long-term suffering if he can't find another job in the field due to the grounds of his termination. I don't know his age, but thinking of the potential of this man losing a house, a car, damaging a relationship, not being able to provide for a spouse, because he drove a high horsepower car to 128mph and returned it to the dealer without incident is a tough pill to swallow.

We've all been given second chances, whether it be an officer that let you off with a warning instead of throwing the book at you, or an employer giving you a second chance. Some people truly learn valuable lessons from a slap on the wrist, while some can spend multiple years in prison and still never learn.

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
I wonder if those who think the tech losing his job might think twice about their stance if presented slightly different circumstances....

What if the tech worked in a gun shop and took an assault rifle into the street and fired a bunch of bullets into the air? Sure, they probably won't land on anybody, but wouldn't that be suitable grounds for one to be removed from their job?

What if you were a new parent driving with your infant in the car on the road where the tech took the F to 128 mph? How would you feel about that compromise to your safety?

Are the two above scenarios actually that dissimilar? I don't believe they are....
They are very dissimilar, as they are different levels of illegal. A felony offense of shooting in the air vs a misdemeanor offense of speeding (although excessively). Just like a murder is charged with a more severe punishment over someone who steals a pack of gum. I'm not downplaying it by saying that what he did was not wrong, I am simply saying that costing this man his livelihood over it is harsh. If I was the parent driving with an infant and the tech flew by me at 128mph...I would think the guy was in a rush, I would probably be annoyed, but would I think much more then that? Probably not. I don't remember the last time I was on a public road where someone didn't blow by me. That being said, my dealership personally tells me they keep it under 100 on test drives ( I have this recorded on my dash cam- they've said it like 3 times to me), despite the highest speed of any freeway near is only 65mph. So what makes my dealer any better to allow 35mph over the speed limit despite the law defining the allowable speed? Should I call them up and get everyone fired that's driven my car since I've had it in service?
Old 03-17-15, 01:46 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They are very dissimilar, as they are different levels of illegal. A felony offense of shooting in the air vs a misdemeanor offense of speeding (although excessively). Just like a murder is charged with a more severe punishment over someone who steals a pack of gum. I'm not downplaying it by saying that what he did was not wrong, I am simply saying that costing this man his livelihood over it is harsh. If I was the parent driving with an infant and the tech flew by me at 128mph...I would think the guy was in a rush, I would probably be annoyed, but would I think much more then that? Probably not. I don't remember the last time I was on a public road where someone didn't blow by me. That being said, my dealership personally tells me they keep it under 100 on test drives ( I have this recorded on my dash cam- they've said it like 3 times to me), despite the highest speed of any freeway near is only 65mph. So what makes my dealer any better to allow 35mph over the speed limit despite the law defining the allowable speed? Should I call them up and get everyone fired that's driven my car since I've had it in service?
I completely appreciate your opinion, but if the tech had hit another motorist at that speed, it most definitely would've been felony vehicular manslaughter (along w/ other charges). That, IMO is much closer of a comparison to murder than stealing a pack of gum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Road Tested My IsF