IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I'm About to buy a IS-F and have a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 12:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by bacrotty
I'm not worried about treadlife, I'm "worried" about having overly aggressive camber/toe on steering geometry that unnecessarily wears tread for street use. We had dws's on my step dad xjr and they were pretty awesome. I'm simply getting all my ducks in a row before making a purchase. Thanks for the input.
You might want to look at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html

Camber isn't the forcing issue for wear and only is a problem if it exceeds 2.5 degrees.
Old 03-13-15, 02:19 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the transmission, we're talking like 4-6 documented issues out of a lot.....that's less than a 0.1% failure rate. From my perspective, I put ~6k miles a year on the car, it is not my DD. Spirited driving every now and then. Coming up on 4 years of ownership and not one issue besides the known recalls and water pump replacement. Maintenance is just like any other car (oil chg a little more since the car takes 10 quarts). Brakes are cheaper than what you would pay for Merc/bimmers.
Old 03-13-15, 09:21 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I wouldn't be worried about the transmission, we're talking like 4-6 documented issues out of a lot.....that's less than a 0.1% failure rate. From my perspective, I put ~6k miles a year on the car, it is not my DD. Spirited driving every now and then. Coming up on 4 years of ownership and not one issue besides the known recalls and water pump replacement. Maintenance is just like any other car (oil chg a little more since the car takes 10 quarts). Brakes are cheaper than what you would pay for Merc/bimmers.
Thanks so much guys. I'm still searching quite a lot through all the old threads and the first thread I saw was a 2400 bill for new rotors and pads.. But now I'm seeing Oem for close to 500. (and hopefully it's a similar install to my tsx and my dad's xjr rotors/pads) Much more doable. And thank you for that link about the tire wear.. Great info!! Going to the dealer tomorrow or Sunday to talk final numbers and to see if I can pull it off.

Thanks again fellas
Old 03-15-15, 06:23 AM
YotaLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys!

I found a 2010 Gray ISF with 40k on the clock. They want 38k out the door (needs new tires).
First off is this a solid deal? (1 owner in pretty awesome shape, well maintained)

I will be selling my Acura Tsx and upgrading to ISF and I wanted to ask you guys a few questions.
I have been looking around on the forums and found that the ISF is a pretty bulletproof car. It will be my only vehicle and i plan on keeping it for many years to come. One thing i loved about my TSX and TL that i had prior was i did most of the maintenance.. Changing brakes/rotors, oil changes, fixing any small issues that pop up. All of that being said, I was wondering if yall perform routine maintenance on your vehicles. (Any guys in Central Florida?)

This vehicle is going to be at the top of my budget and i wont have very much left over.. I'm not being a cheap *** when i say this but i have always been of the mindset with my Acuras (with great success) that Get your oil changed, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, and keep your brakes maintained and trips to the dealership can be few and far between. This being a High performance vehicle and a lexus, i am somewhat afraid of huge bills coming my way for "routine checkups" . Also, are changing rotors on this vehicle if its not tracked necessary?

Also, I dont plan on taking the car to the track, or drag strip but just spirited driving around town.. While looking at M3's and c63 AMG's i read about all of these horror stories about 10k repair bills with transmission exploding. Im sure that if a ISF transmission grenades it will be a huge bill and i dont have the cash to fund such issues. (im slightly nervous about transmissions because my TL's was replaced 2 times under warranty)

I really cant wait to join this group and be apart of the family.

Thanks so much for everything!

Blake C.
That price and mileage is a jumper! I got an 08 with 30k miles on it for 35k.. Add 3k more, you get the 2010 and your very close to me on mileage.

Maintenance is what it is... When people say "It's just an expensive Toyota" it's true! I laugh all the way to the dealer. Cost to drive is at the bottom of the pile with Lexus! Reliability is top tier.

---- EDIT
I read through the post, I saw your estimated final after repairs and what not was around 40k. Consider a low mileage 2008 IS F. That's the route I took and I'm all about it. If you plan to mod your car as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter whether it's the 08 or the 12. You can add all of the changes they made, to your car later.

Last edited by YotaLex; 03-15-15 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 05:27 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Well Gentlemen, That car fell through. They didn't want to come down on the price even though it needed new tires, new brakes, and the wheels were pitted to hell from brake dust being caked on. So the hunt is still on.

http://www.butlerlexus.com/VehicleDe...-GA/2462537873

This seems to be a pretty clean 2 owner ISF, has headers and exhaust and a 3 year 100k warranty.

What do yall think as far as value retention.. i'm thinking lower miles is a better find than new model.. Im no expert though.

Thanks!

Last edited by H1_OFICR; 03-23-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 05:49 PM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Gentlemen, That car fell through. They didn't want to come down on the price even though it needed new tires, new brakes, and the wheels were pitted to hell from brake dust being caked on. So the hunt is still on.

http://www.butlerlexus.com/VehicleDe...-GA/2462537873

This seems to be a pretty clean 2 owner ISF, has headers and exhaust and a 3 year 100k warranty.

What do yall think as far as value retention.. i'm thinking lower miles is a better find than new model.. Im no expert though.

Thanks!
Car looks great. However, with headers and exhaust, they cannot offer that vehicle to you certified.
Old 03-23-15, 06:15 PM
Blkisf12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the florida area call down to JM Lexus they are a very large dealership and have connections you may not have. I live in Toronto Canada but purchased a car there back in 2010 and was very pleased. ( still own my Prius ) it pays for my ISF.

Good luck the ISF is an awesome vehicle.
Old 03-23-15, 06:59 PM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just bought my 08 ISF w/ 113k miles for $25k. still drives like its new and no leaks what so ever.
Old 03-24-15, 11:12 AM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jmt1011
Car looks great. However, with headers and exhaust, they cannot offer that vehicle to you certified.
Just spoke with the dealer and... You sir are correct.. Even though the ppe headers (without cats) and borla exhaust was installed at Lexus of Tampa. I'm not to sure how loud that would be. Iv listened to a few on YouTube but, this will be my daily driver (and only vehicle) so I don't want it to have a constant drone.

There is another option in Orlando.. A 08 Red/mica/maroon 32k miles on it... On coilovers and has borla exhaust. 32k. Tires about half done and still on original brakes.. Just don't know about the color. This whole isf shopping is stressful lol.
Old 03-24-15, 11:45 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Do your home works carefully , when you find the F , you going to be a happy man