I'm About to buy a IS-F and have a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 06:43 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm About to buy a IS-F and have a few Questions

Hello Guys!

I found a 2010 Gray ISF with 40k on the clock. They want 38k out the door (needs new tires).
First off is this a solid deal? (1 owner in pretty awesome shape, well maintained)

I will be selling my Acura Tsx and upgrading to ISF and I wanted to ask you guys a few questions.
I have been looking around on the forums and found that the ISF is a pretty bulletproof car. It will be my only vehicle and i plan on keeping it for many years to come. One thing i loved about my TSX and TL that i had prior was i did most of the maintenance.. Changing brakes/rotors, oil changes, fixing any small issues that pop up. All of that being said, I was wondering if yall perform routine maintenance on your vehicles. (Any guys in Central Florida?)

This vehicle is going to be at the top of my budget and i wont have very much left over.. I'm not being a cheap *** when i say this but i have always been of the mindset with my Acuras (with great success) that Get your oil changed, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, and keep your brakes maintained and trips to the dealership can be few and far between. This being a High performance vehicle and a lexus, i am somewhat afraid of huge bills coming my way for "routine checkups" . Also, are changing rotors on this vehicle if its not tracked necessary?

Also, I dont plan on taking the car to the track, or drag strip but just spirited driving around town.. While looking at M3's and c63 AMG's i read about all of these horror stories about 10k repair bills with transmission exploding. Im sure that if a ISF transmission grenades it will be a huge bill and i dont have the cash to fund such issues. (im slightly nervous about transmissions because my TL's was replaced 2 times under warranty)

I really cant wait to join this group and be apart of the family.

Thanks so much for everything!

Blake C.
Old 03-08-15, 06:53 PM
RMA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$38K OTD sounds like a pretty solid deal considering clean car fax. Typically 2008-2009's would sell for low to mid $30's which means you are purchasing yours for around $35500 plus the taxes.
Old 03-08-15, 07:26 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Thanks buddy, I have always trusted the forums and yalls experience. Any info or advice would be great!
Old 03-08-15, 07:59 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There are very few reliability issues with the ISF compared with the competition. 38k sounds more than fair if the car is clean. If you do most of the maintenance yourself then the cost isn't too high...just realize that this is a high performance sports sedan, so the parts tend to be more expensive. For the most part your main costs are limited to fuel, tires, brake rotors/pads, and oil (9.9 qts).

For me, the only expensive issue I've had with the ISF is the mod bug.
Old 03-08-15, 08:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I would say that is a pretty fair deal. If you can budge for a little bit knocked off the OTD price, even better.

As for the maintenance issues, for the most part, it is just routine oil changes, the occasional tire purchase, and replacing brake pads from time to time. There really isn't anything wrong with these cars, and that's what makes it great- zero headaches. Just drive (fast), enjoy the speed and reliability, and it should never do you wrong.

Wishing you the best of luck, and when you do get it, post some pics!
Old 03-08-15, 08:26 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Thanks! Hearing all of this make me feel better about a huge (for me) investment. Do y'all regularly take your cars to the dealership or just kind of watch over everything on your own and take it in when things are needed? Like the spark plugs and rear diff fluid / tranny fluid.
Old 03-08-15, 08:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tranny is sealed and fluid isnt easily changed, manual doesnt call out for it on the schedule. Spark plugs are pretty easy to do, there is a DIY guide. Diff fluid is really easy.
Old 03-08-15, 08:32 PM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gymkata
For me, the only expensive issue I've had with the ISF is the mod bug.
This part is so true! Lol, most expensive issue 100%...
Old 03-08-15, 08:50 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@Bacrotty, I'm in the Tampa/St Pete area. Not sure if ur south or north of Orlando but when u get ur F we can meet up if ur close enough. My F has exhaust and headers so u could hear how it sounds before u start modding
Old 03-08-15, 09:15 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

I actually live near Daytona but i would love to meet up! Thanks again for all the responses. I will post pictures in the next few days. I'm going to try and go through with it!
Old 03-09-15, 12:41 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi.

As others have already mentioned, the IS-F is relatively bullet-proof. You mentioned transmissions grenading for the German competition. The fact a guy was selling complete transmissions for around $600 should tell you all you need to know! Lol. Very few issues it seems. So much so the trader had to drop the price to clear them! some owners on here bought them as spares, but I doubt they will ever need them!

That being said, nothing is guaranteed. There is always a slight possibility you could get a bad example(they do exist).

If you're stretching your budget to buy one, maybe it's not the right time to own what can still be an expensive performance car if something did go badly wrong.

Car ownership should be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. Chances are you'll be fine, but you need to factor in the slim chance yours could go wrong. If it's your only car, how would you cope if it was out of action?

I'm not trying to put you off, but feel you should at least consider the negatives as well as the good stuff(of which there are loads!).

I'm guessing at that price there isn't a warranty?

If there is a member local to you, maybe they can tag along to give it a once over?

I'd just hate for you to buy it with every dollar you have, and run into issues down the line.

The price seems a bit low for the age/mileage, but it might just be the bargain you are looking for.

Whatever you decide, best of luck chap.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 03-09-15, 02:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bacrotty
Thanks! Hearing all of this make me feel better about a huge (for me) investment. Do y'all regularly take your cars to the dealership or just kind of watch over everything on your own and take it in when things are needed? Like the spark plugs and rear diff fluid / tranny fluid.
If I can DIY, then I'm doing it. Stuff like oil changes, even swapping pads- I'll do it myself just because I want that satisfaction that I'm paying myself over forking over a high amount to the dealer. For spark plugs, I have seen others work on them, and while I have not attempted to replace mine, that is something that I would like to oversee for more confidence in doing my own.

In the rare case I need to take the car to the dealer, that is solely reserved for the recalls and service bulletins. And even then, I choose whether I want a certain one to be done or declined. Lexus says they'll even top off your oil for free as well as wash the car.
Old 03-09-15, 03:59 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Haven't had a problem with my 08 ISF for over 3 years. As you described it, I have used the car for the same purposes.
You won't be disappointed. Good luck
Old 03-09-15, 12:29 PM
furious20
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my isf week ago and my previous car was Acura TL as well
Coming from Acura TL, ISF is the huge upgrade but has the same reliability or even more..
and I think price is fair but not a steal.
Hope to see another member with ISF and good luck!
Old 03-09-15, 04:37 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Well, had a friend look at the car and... It's on its original rotors, needs tires and otd price is 38800. Seems like after all of that I'll be almost at 41k. :/

Quick Reply: I'm About to buy a IS-F and have a few Questions