IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Another F'n first timer on the track!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 05:27 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default instructor

Hey zach, from the pix do you have the instructor with you all the time? Or is it just one lap?
Old 03-04-15, 06:13 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
Hey zach, from the pix do you have the instructor with you all the time? Or is it just one lap?
Generally as a novice you have an instructor the whole time.

Great job buddy. 27 seconds is HUGE. Next time, you and me together. Can't wait.
Old 03-04-15, 07:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Random question, but those of you who track their cars, do you disable the VSC (turn off the traction control)? I'm assuming it goes along with experience and how comfortable you feel and your skill set of correcting the car right?
I leave mine on so that I can safely push harder. My lines are pretty solid now . I use it as a safety net......and its caught me more than once. Can't tell you how many cars I have seen spin and go flying off the track. Anyone can turn the wheels opposite of the oversteer. The real issue is when the car snaps in the opposite direction once a driver corrects , and thats when the car spins. Ive sen Porsches, Vettes, bimmers, and even Vipers fly off the track.
Old 03-04-15, 08:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I leave mine on so that I can safely push harder. My lines are pretty solid now . I use it as a safety net......and its caught me more than once. Can't tell you how many cars I have seen spin and go flying off the track. Anyone can turn the wheels opposite of the oversteer. The real issue is when the car snaps in the opposite direction once a driver corrects , and thats when the car spins. Ive sen Porsches, Vettes, bimmers, and even Vipers fly off the track.
If you loosen your grip on the wheel and let it rattle back and forth in your hands, the car will calm down so you don't spin. At least it works for me.

I run without VSC mostly because I have issues with car control from racing motorcycles and tend to push too hard. I could probably run with it on now after the experience I've built up, but initially I was overdriving the car and it caused my front brakes to overheat because VSC was working overtime to keep me from my own over exuberance.
Old 03-04-15, 10:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you loosen your grip on the wheel and let it rattle back and forth in your hands, the car will calm down so you don't spin. At least it works for me.

I run without VSC mostly because I have issues with car control from racing motorcycles and tend to push too hard. I could probably run with it on now after the experience I've built up, but initially I was overdriving the car and it caused my front brakes to overheat because VSC was working overtime to keep me from my own over exuberance.
Totally know what you mean Lobux. When I look at my first two videos I could clearly tell I was over driving the car . Had to focus on my line rather than lap times and then increase speed to the limit on or near the ideal line. LOL Had to remind myself there is something called physics and that late late late apex mixed with a smashed throttle equals oversteer. Must be pretty cool to hit the track on a bike.
Old 03-05-15, 04:04 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I left mine on the whole time as well. I was concerned about overheating the brakes after reading lobux's experiences, but it didn't happen. It was pretty cold that day too. I only once had the car slip out from under me, and I corrected that very quickly. I was surprised at the lack of interference with the nannies, but then again, maybe I wasn't tough enough on the car, haha. I wish my GoPro hadn't died, I shaved 27 seconds from my first lap to my best lap which I was pretty proud of and I know I was using way more of the track and hitting a lot more apex's. I think next time I'll hang my phone from the window so I can imbed the video to Harry's lap Timer.
Old 03-06-15, 11:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zax3gs
I left mine on the whole time as well. I was concerned about overheating the brakes after reading lobux's experiences, but it didn't happen. It was pretty cold that day too. I only once had the car slip out from under me, and I corrected that very quickly. I was surprised at the lack of interference with the nannies, but then again, maybe I wasn't tough enough on the car, haha. I wish my GoPro hadn't died, I shaved 27 seconds from my first lap to my best lap which I was pretty proud of and I know I was using way more of the track and hitting a lot more apex's. I think next time I'll hang my phone from the window so I can imbed the video to Harry's lap Timer.

I like Harrys lap timer but you need to get a good mount for the iphone. ine sucked at INDE and the video looked soooo shaky. Just went pure Go Pro, but like the read out and all the info you get with Harrys lap timer
Old 03-07-15, 11:02 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey fellows where do guys mount the camera inside car? Or is better to have it on your helmet?
Old 03-07-15, 11:25 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's a bad idea to put anything on your helmet regardless of what other people do or say. Adding any mass to your helmet increases the risk of severe injury dramatically., and something with mass even further away from the center of rotation is a horribly bad idea. I've spent a lot of time studying helmets and their benefits/hazards since way back in 1980 when I got my first road motorcycle.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/go...52403_e837577a
Old 03-07-15, 12:02 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I mounted mine right behind the rearview mirror. It fit perfectly and didn't obstruct any of my view. The only thing was since the light sensor was blocked I had to turn of the autodark feature on the rearview.

Another F'n first timer on the track!-image-2073958803.jpg

Sorry it's fuzzy, blown up from a small image
Old 03-08-15, 10:44 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Mine is always on the windshield tucked behind the rearview as much as possible as well. I keep thinking of the roof but the wind noise ruins the videos. I thought of mounting it on the sunroof inside the car but all you see is the rearview and partially backlit screen. Thought of helmet but I want more shot stability
Old 03-08-15, 06:01 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran with at traction control off in my ISF. I run with the advanced groups in my BMW race car.

Last edited by Bigcloud; 03-08-15 at 06:35 PM.