IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F to a GTR any regrets from guys who have made the transistion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 09:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
Anyone go from the isf to a kia rio? The transition is crazy!
I bought a Kia Rio for my Granddaughter. Nice little car - For HER!!!!!

As far as the GTR, this month's Car & Driver has a comparo between the GTR Nismo, Porsche Turbo S, & the Vette ZO6. The GTR comes in dead last with the Vette on top.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 03-03-15 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 09:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

lol Pcar gt3/turbo or nothing!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-15, 10:08 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^Whoa, I almost choked on my captain crunch berries while reading the maintenance costs above!!!
haha!!! Yeah man its pretty sickening. That being said, imagine a brake job on a Gallardo or Ferrari, 20-30k range.

Originally Posted by StealthFF
My friend had 09 tranny failed, then on 2012 ..tranny failed waited two months to get tranny, and then differential leaking...upgraded tranny and just sold end of last year...He said after it failed on the way form Austin at night it was enough for him.. Its an amazing car IMHO I really want one...But there is something about having a reliable car that I can enjoy..Most GTR owners (answer from my close friends) they have money and are aware that it will fail and upgrade the tranny almost immediately or before failure. Me on the other hand I would not be excited about buying a 70K car knowing I would have major component failure with the possibility of getting stranded. I would rather a rocket bunny frs and slapping a turbo on and enjoying my driving experience than spending so much money for the worry of failures...The rate of failure for me makes the transition a no...I am more than happy with the Lexus. If I wanted speed I would get a vette, cobra, etc...and having the relentless speed tended to be a burden at times. Lexus truly made great drivers vehicles as they say that are well balanced.
You bring up a good point. OP, if you're looking for a fun and powerful car, seating differences aside (since you can't use the backseats on a GTR anyways - they are useless), you could get into a vette. I had 3 vettes so far, 2 of them were supercharged and they are about as reliable as you can get, extremely inexpensive maintenance, and dirt cheap to upgrade. You can tune them, you can get insane power from relatively inexpensive upgrades, and they are a blast to drive. The only downside to my vettes, all of them, were the seats. I freaking hated their seats...on my next vette I'll buy some nice recaros or something if I get a c6 again.
Old 03-03-15, 11:08 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I still needed a car as a daily the F would be it. Luckily I have a Ram 1500 pick up to take care of my daily needs.

My 2015 GTR is my weekend, track fun day car. The GTR in terms of performance is nuts I mean it made me think my ISF was broken after driving them back to back

The GTR gets so much attention i mean tons of it. Probably because of my wheel choice too.

Really two different cars. If you have the extra $ and just want a fun fast car then GTR is for you. But if you are looking for a DD and something good for trips stick with the ISF.

Old 03-03-15, 11:37 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Murph145
If I still needed a car as a daily the F would be it. Luckily I have a Ram 1500 pick up to take care of my daily needs.

My 2015 GTR is my weekend, track fun day car. The GTR in terms of performance is nuts I mean it made me think my ISF was broken after driving them back to back

The GTR gets so much attention i mean tons of it. Probably because of my wheel choice too.

Really two different cars. If you have the extra $ and just want a fun fast car then GTR is for you. But if you are looking for a DD and something good for trips stick with the ISF.

I LOVE the white and red combo, can you post more pics?!
Old 03-03-15, 11:38 AM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Maintenance costs are really high on the GTR. For example:
OEM transmission fluid is $100 a quart...it takes 8-9
Brake pad and rotor replacement: $6k
Average services are about 2k+ each time for fluids.

Info given to me by a GTR master mechanic.
can anyone that actually owns a GTR corroborate these costs? They sound ridiculous.
Old 03-03-15, 11:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I drove one when I shopped for my F and decided it was too harsh, noisy, and uncomfortable. Kind tripped me out after driving an LS460. Stuck with the ISF for practicality , maintenance costs, and still had the ability to hit the track. I dont regret my decision. My brother in law had a GTR for a few months and hated it because of the discomfort. He traded it in quick
Old 03-03-15, 11:47 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 786
can anyone that actually owns a GTR corroborate these costs? They sound ridiculous.
My brother went from an ISF to a GTR (his user name on here is Infinus), and I can assure you the costs are real world. If you don't believe it, here's a link to the GTR forums that breaks it down as well. http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...cial-gt-r-faq/

Regular driving, no track use:
Engine Oil changes & Misc = $200 every 6,000 miles
Transmission & Differential Fluid Changes = $2,000 every 18,000 miles
Tire Change = $2,000 / set (tire life should be somewhere between 8,000 miles and 20,000 miles depending on many factors including how you drive, the roads where you live, weather conditions)
Annual POS (including alignment) = FREE
Brake pads & rotors = $6,000 / set (every 24,000 miles)
Old 03-03-15, 12:09 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145

Not going to lie.. I had a few fly by videos of your car.. but they all sucked because by the time I heard you floor it, you were already 3 car lengths ahead of me
Old 03-03-15, 12:34 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In terms of maintenance I have only done an oil change so far and that cost me $140. I bring my car to a local guy out here that all he does is GTR stuff. He is the one that lowered my car and did all my bolt on's and the tune.

I am sure if you take it to the dealer yes be prepared to spend a lot!! To the dealership they think you are rich when you have a GTR since it is there most expensive car.

If you have a newer one like myself maintenance shouldnt be too bad first few years.

IMO the GTR rode just as smooth if not smoother stock vs stock. Obviously once you lower most cars the ride does change a bit. The GTR has 3 dampening modes so it still isnt bad.

The GTR is truly more of a "race car" it is louder inside and does feel more raw, but that is ok for me since I wanted a weekend race car.

I dont have too many other pics on my computer too bad ISFPat didn't catch a good flyby!