IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F to a GTR any regrets from guys who have made the transistion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 11:34 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default IS F to a GTR any regrets from guys who have made the transistion?

I just read this link here about a member who was thinking about switching to a 2010 GTR here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-trigger.html

I know there are a few members here that have made the transition to a GTR, beside the blinding speed and numbers that the GTR puts up are there any negatives to switching to that type of vehicle after owning a IS F for a while?
Old 03-02-15, 11:49 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

not as comfortable, a lot higher maintenance costs, impractical back seats, typical sport car stuff lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-15, 12:02 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
not as comfortable, a lot higher maintenance costs, impractical back seats, typical sport car stuff lol.
You think our cars are comfortable after lowering it and having thin tires?

Our seats are just as impractical as well..

Maintenance is definitely an issue with that car.. which is why I still haven't made the transition yet.
Old 03-03-15, 12:04 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've read that a few guys who've had an IS F, jump ship for a GTR, only to come back to a newer IS F. It just becomes what the owner views as a priority for his/her ride. But I will say this, and Josh mentioned it above, the IS F is a great all around vehicle with lower maintenance costs and being practical and cushy. It is a sport sedan. Yes, a sedan. But it has proven to be a powerful beast on the streets and at the track, and at the same time be that luxurious ride you take a date out on the town with. Best of both worlds.

The GTR has great modding support and can really satisfy the speed junkie in anyone, but if it's primarily a car used on the streets and the power isn't being utilized in a controlled environment, then it's not really practical. More of a "look at me" type car. The depreciation on those bad boys make it far more attainable to a younger crowd now, and, through first hand accounts, has resulted in more devastating accidents than I need to ever witness in my lifetime. More power doesn't mean it's better than anything else on the roads. It just means one better know how to use that power or else something bad can and most likely will happen.
Old 03-03-15, 12:11 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen so many people go from IS-F -> GTR's on this forum
Old 03-03-15, 12:40 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
You think our cars are comfortable after lowering it and having thin tires?

Maintenance is definitely an issue with that car.. which is why I still haven't made the transition yet.
comparing my ISF to a friends modded GTR, i'd say my car is the more comfortable DD and better road trip car.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-03-15, 01:30 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Let's not forget the GTR is relatively common in comparison to the IS-F.

With only 200 or so ISF's this side of the pond, you are far more likely to see a GTR on the road (I do almost every trip!).

The running costs are still way to high for me to consider buying one (not to mention the extra cash I would need to get it in the first place).

I'm told by a few friends who did buy one that they average around $8-10K a year on mostly maintenance, tires, and software updates!

I'm more than happy to stick with my IS-F.

Especially as I have the most modified IS-F in the UK!
Old 03-03-15, 05:11 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone go from the isf to a kia rio? The transition is crazy!
Old 03-03-15, 05:38 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Not to me. Few things are more annoying than entering/exiting rear seats via a car with two doors. My general rule is a door per seat, and it makes entry and exit into the F infinitely easier.

I was also very happy to see that Lexus got rid of the 5th seat from the x50 cars, when they did the F.

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I know there are a few members here that have made the transition to a GTR, beside the blinding speed and numbers that the GTR puts up are there any negatives to switching to that type of vehicle after owning a IS F for a while?
The local Nissan dealer tried hard to get me into a GTR, but I ultimately decided that it was too much car for the type of driving I regularly do. Many times, even the F is, but as others have said, it's balanced in other areas. I actually intend to buy a slower car next time, because you can have just as much fun around cones, while having something that works fine for street driving. YEMV.
Old 03-03-15, 07:19 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

My cousin had a GTR. So far, the only issues he had was the transmission. His car is stock. He did sell it to get an C63 amg. I asked him why he sold it? He replied, too many people want to race you. He was tired of that and when his transmission started acting up, it was a heads up to get rid of it. I asked him why not get the F? He said the F was not enough power. The C63 was cheaper (used) and he finds german cars has the best performance quality. In case anyone wondering, he replaced his tranny @52k miles.
Old 03-03-15, 07:35 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Maintenance costs are really high on the GTR. For example:
OEM transmission fluid is $100 a quart...it takes 8-9
Brake pad and rotor replacement: $6k
Average services are about 2k+ each time for fluids.

Info given to me by a GTR master mechanic.
Old 03-03-15, 08:01 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^Whoa, I almost choked on my captain crunch berries while reading the maintenance costs above!!!
Old 03-03-15, 08:04 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My friend had 09 tranny failed, then on 2012 ..tranny failed waited two months to get tranny, and then differential leaking...upgraded tranny and just sold end of last year...He said after it failed on the way form Austin at night it was enough for him.. Its an amazing car IMHO I really want one...But there is something about having a reliable car that I can enjoy..Most GTR owners (answer from my close friends) they have money and are aware that it will fail and upgrade the tranny almost immediately or before failure. Me on the other hand I would not be excited about buying a 70K car knowing I would have major component failure with the possibility of getting stranded. I would rather a rocket bunny frs and slapping a turbo on and enjoying my driving experience than spending so much money for the worry of failures...The rate of failure for me makes the transition a no...I am more than happy with the Lexus. If I wanted speed I would get a vette, cobra, etc...and having the relentless speed tended to be a burden at times. Lexus truly made great drivers vehicles as they say that are well balanced.
Old 03-03-15, 08:40 AM
WhyTheF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by idoke1
... In case anyone wondering, he replaced his tranny @52k miles.
He replaced the tranny on the GTR or the C63?
Old 03-03-15, 09:11 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ Its the GTR

Quick Reply: IS F to a GTR any regrets from guys who have made the transistion?