IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the Mark Levinson system worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 07:13 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I can't help with a recommendation of a 8ohm free air sub, I never looked into it. I had a lot of stuff laying around from a previous setup so all I needed was a box. If you are looking for something decent and that will save your trunk space look into a wickedcas box. You will be limited to certain subs because mounting depth and air space but it should be enough to blend with the stock setup. If you're lucky and find a 60/40 box I would go that route. It is a custom fit box for the second generation IS and fits snug on the passenger side of the trunk. You get good mounting depth and air space. I say lucky because it's no longer made but they do pop up from time to time.
Old 03-03-15, 07:36 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kauaian
Sorry I can't help with a recommendation of a 8ohm free air sub, I never looked into it. I had a lot of stuff laying around from a previous setup so all I needed was a box. If you are looking for something decent and that will save your trunk space look into a wickedcas box. You will be limited to certain subs because mounting depth and air space but it should be enough to blend with the stock setup. If you're lucky and find a 60/40 box I would go that route. It is a custom fit box for the second generation IS and fits snug on the passenger side of the trunk. You get good mounting depth and air space. I say lucky because it's no longer made but they do pop up from time to time.
There is also the perfect fit box which costs a little less than the wickedcas and mounts on the passenger side. I'm not sure how mounting depth and air space compares though.

I want to do this soon, but am clueless. All I know is every car audio shop in my town seems ghetto as hell.
Old 03-03-15, 09:26 AM
WhyTheF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Awesome Thanks for the feedback on the ML system. I feel that's probably the route I'll go, add a sub in a custom enclosure (not sure if it will be ported or sealed) and evaluate if the rest of the system will be good enough or just do a full out build.
I have a 10' with ML but its just as good (if not worse) then the stock Bose I had in my 07 G35 sedan The ML volume is low when listening through Bluetooth (10+ has bluetooth) as well as on SAT (I believe its low because its satellite and very far away in outer space?)

But my friend's stock Harman Kardon in his E60 M5 blows both the ML and Bose away!

And for the sub, you can go the route of CPN83 with the Kicker Hideaway (looks dang good + more trunk space):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...00-my-isf.html

Old 03-03-15, 11:15 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yea one thing that was not good in the F was the stereo. I think my truck has better base and clarity.

I am sure with some of these after market set ups you can make it sound good but stock :/
Old 03-25-15, 02:23 AM
LexusAmes
Driver School Candidate

To answer your question as it's written : Whether it's "worth it" or not, is really a relative opinion. That being said, I just drove off the lot yesterday with a 2013 GS 350 after contemplating over a 2015 ISF for 6 days. If you haven't compared the older cars to the newer systems, then do yourself that favor before taking the opinions of people who all have different variances in hearing and preference, which you know that only you can hear what you're wanting be that crisp, heavy bass or mid.

The statements about ISF's all come with ML systems is not true. It will depend on what the "demand" is for your market and the market around your major city. It also narrows all the way down to what was/is "in demand" or requested from dealership to dealership even if only 3-5 miles from each other. Also, you do have HD Radio, Sat Radio and 1-disc changer on the '15 ISF. The interior dimensions also changed for this year model as to have more room in the backseat to compete on-level with competitors so make sure that doesn't change your fittings for an aftermarket system.

Check out the new model, you might be surprised at all the upgrades to Enform (meaning there is more singular control than that in Enform systems in older models, even in the 2014 is different). Definitely a lot of great knowledge around these forums but with all the changes being made, you'll be your best judge since many changes have been made on all accounts - especially audio. Update once you make your choice!
Old 03-25-15, 03:06 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusAmes
To answer your question as it's written : Whether it's "worth it" or not, is really a relative opinion. That being said, I just drove off the lot yesterday with a 2013 GS 350 after contemplating over a 2015 ISF for 6 days. If you haven't compared the older cars to the newer systems, then do yourself that favor before taking the opinions of people who all have different variances in hearing and preference, which you know that only you can hear what you're wanting be that crisp, heavy bass or mid. The statements about ISF's all come with ML systems is not true. It will depend on what the "demand" is for your market and the market around your major city. It also narrows all the way down to what was/is "in demand" or requested from dealership to dealership even if only 3-5 miles from each other. Also, you do have HD Radio, Sat Radio and 1-disc changer on the '15 ISF. The interior dimensions also changed for this year model as to have more room in the backseat to compete on-level with competitors so make sure that doesn't change your fittings for an aftermarket system. Check out the new model, you might be surprised at all the upgrades to Enform (meaning there is more singular control than that in Enform systems in older models, even in the 2014 is different). Definitely a lot of great knowledge around these forums but with all the changes being made, you'll be your best judge since many changes have been made on all accounts - especially audio. Update once you make your choice!
Not to hijack this thread but I got to ask. Where did you find a 2015 isf? I will buy it in a second. Now on topic. Coming from having a massive after market set up in my gs400. (Focal 165krx2 front, 165kr rear, alpine swrt12 sub, Pxa-h800 prossesor, 3 Pdx amps) etc. I was actually very surprised at how good the sound quality is in my 2011 isf with the ml system. I guess it's all about how sound quality educated your hearing is. But from having many high end audio systems since 1996, from a sound quality point of view the ml system is top notch for a factory system. Very good staging and balance. Sounds are coming from where the music should, the front and up high on the dash. Keep in mind I'm speaking from a sq point of view.

For the original poster. The stock ml system imaging wise is perfect. Compared to my gs400 with focal's it's not as bright and lively sounding in the high end. Mid bass is good though. You coming from focal's as well should not expect that focal in your face mid high range sound though, I think that's a focal thing. It's really hard to compare any system aftermarket or stock with focal sound, lol.

Last edited by Navaz; 03-25-15 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 03:21 AM
LexusAmes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Navaz
Not to hijack this thread but I got to ask. Where did you find a 2015 isf? I will buy it in a second.

Now on topic. Coming from having a massive after market set up in my gs400. (Focal 165krx2 front, 165kr rear, alpine swrt12 sub, Pxa-h800 prossesor, 3 Pdx amps) etc. I was actually very surprised at how good the sound quality is in my 2011 isf with the ml system. I guess it's all about how sound quality educated your hearing is. But from having many high end audio systems since 1996, from a sound quality point of view the ml system is top notch for a factory system. Very good staging and balance. Sounds are coming from where the music should, the front and up high on the dash.
Keep in mind I'm speaking from a sq point of view.
You might want to check hennessygwinnett.com or hennessyatlanta.com ...in fact, let me link you to the Atomic Silver 2015 IS250 F with Rioja Red NeLuxe trim. It is NOT an ML system. See below for the direct link. In fact, if you're serious, I can give you direct information for my associate that I worked with. This one in particular definitely won't last, neither will the other 15 on their lot. While not all F's.. there are 15 on their lot. Down from the 23 last week. Go buy it now since the second was up...ohhhh 30 seconds ago. It's a sweet car!!!

http://www.lexusgwinnett.com/Vehicle...-GA/2455099773
Old 03-25-15, 03:25 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

You might want to check hennessylexus.com or hennessyatlanta.com ...in fact, let me link you to the Atomic Silver 2015 IS250 F with Rioja Red NeLuxe trim. It is NOT an ML system. See below for the direct link. In fact, if you're serious, I can give you direct information for my associate that I worked with. This one in particular definitely won't last, neither will the other 15 on their lot. While not all F's.. there are 15 on their lot. Down from the 23 last week. Go buy it now since the second was up...ohhhh 30 seconds ago. It's a sweet car!!! http://www.lexusgwinnett.com/Vehicle...-GA/2455099773
You said 2015 isf in your original post. Not is 250 f. Lol. Sorry not interested in fake sport. This is the ISF forum not f sport. But since your here, why did you go with a 2013 gs over any real ISF?

Last edited by Navaz; 03-25-15 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 03:44 AM
LexusAmes
Driver School Candidate

You said 2015 isf in your original post. Not is 250 f. Lol. Sorry not interested in fake sport.
You are correct.. I did type it wrong.. I drove the RCF... and the IS 250 F "fake" as you call it. Didn't want to drop $73k when mostly in the city/downtown these days. Ended up with something a bit more practical (2013 GS 350) but the ISF and RCF days will come.. at some point when I'm older and have grown children.

Back on topic - MileHighFCar - as we've learned through this thread...the audio systems are what you make of them, whether one's ear is trained to hear all the low level-mid or mid-level Treble or deep bass. A clear understanding of DB's and how the ear hears sound in an enclosed space also has bearing on what sounds crisp and what sounds like it's rattling out the trunk. As we all know, bass is not always for the person in the car, more so those who are outside and hear the bass carry. You know this though or none of us would be swapping out factory systems for those that we know are better in sound production. Like I said earlier MileHigh, Happy Buying!

Last edited by LexusAmes; 03-25-15 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-25-15, 06:25 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At first, I did not like the ML system at all but it started to grow on me. I think the mids/highs are quite nice, very natural and detailed - especially when playing CD's, but the ML system lacks the low end. That is why I just added a better substage and removed the stock subwoofer.

So this is what I did: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...build-log.html (My Custom Trunk Build Log)
Old 03-25-15, 08:27 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Coming from having a massive after market set up in my gs400. (Focal 165krx2 front, 165kr rear, alpine swrt12 sub, Pxa-h800 prossesor, 3 Pdx amps) etc. I was actually very surprised at how good the sound quality is in my 2011 isf with the ml system. I guess it's all about how sound quality educated your hearing is. But from having many high end audio systems since 1996, from a sound quality point of view the ml system is top notch for a factory system. Very good staging and balance. Sounds are coming from where the music should, the front and up high on the dash. Keep in mind I'm speaking from a sq point of view.

For the original poster. The stock ml system imaging wise is perfect. Compared to my gs400 with focal's it's not as bright and lively sounding in the high end. Mid bass is good though. You coming from focal's as well should not expect that focal in your face mid high range sound though, I think that's a focal thing. It's really hard to compare any system aftermarket or stock with focal sound, lol.
Your right I have been use to the Focal sound for years and it may take a while to get use to not having the bright sound that I've gotten use to over the years. I'll give the ML sound a good 6 MO to see how it sounds to me and getting adjusted to the listening environment and then make a decision.

Back on topic - MileHighFCar - as we've learned through this thread...the audio systems are what you make of them, whether one's ear is trained to hear all the low level-mid or mid-level Treble or deep bass. A clear understanding of DB's and how the ear hears sound in an enclosed space also has bearing on what sounds crisp and what sounds like it's rattling out the trunk. As we all know, bass is not always for the person in the car, more so those who are outside and hear the bass carry. You know this though or none of us would be swapping out factory systems for those that we know are better in sound production. Like I said earlier MileHigh, Happy Buying!
Now I would agree with you that when I was younger I had some systems that people could hear from quite a distance away and that was part of the appeal 15-18 years ago, but I still like a sub with my system not so much for the booming bass that can carry outside of the car but to complement the system. I haven't yet heard a factory system that has that dedicated sub that I like, but like they say your ears change over time and maybe the ML system will be just fine time will tell.....
Old 03-25-15, 10:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You might want to check hennessygwinnett.com or hennessyatlanta.com ...in fact, let me link you to the Atomic Silver 2015 IS250 F with Rioja Red NeLuxe trim. It is NOT an ML system. See below for the direct link. In fact, if you're serious, I can give you direct information for my associate that I worked with. This one in particular definitely won't last, neither will the other 15 on their lot. While not all F's.. there are 15 on their lot. Down from the 23 last week. Go buy it now since the second was up...ohhhh 30 seconds ago. It's a sweet car!!!

http://www.lexusgwinnett.com/Vehicle...-GA/2455099773
Your misunderstanding of the model line up is diluting your message. YES, nearly every IS F was delivered with sunroof and nav/ML. The few delivered without are considered rare, in fact, quite rare.

The IS F is no longer in production. Every owner in this forum is keenly aware of this fact. It's also bad form to mention F Sport anything in this forum. F Sport is a marketing term used by Lexus to make otherwise boring cars sound exuberant. F models (IS F, LFA, and RCF) are much more rare, truly sport oriented, and compete with the top of the class in their respective segments.

To add some perspective - I bought an '06 IS350 because it offered something hard to find in the segment. I did not buy, or even consider the IS250 because it would not outperform the Scion tC I already had sitting in the driveway. That measure has not changed, which is why I (and likely any other owner in this forum) would never purchase any of the 250s - new or old, plain, F Sport, or Crafted.
Old 03-25-15, 12:47 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I love my mark levinson stereo. It provides perfect balance and quite well compared to others I've heard. It all depends on what your going for. I like clarity of sound and the ML does the job perfectly.
Old 03-26-15, 04:47 PM
tommigsr
Pole Position

i have an '08 and the bass definitely has some kick...i think it's a worthy upgrade over what i had in my is250 (non-ml)
Old 03-26-15, 10:02 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your misunderstanding of the model line up is diluting your message. YES, nearly every IS F was delivered with sunroof and nav/ML. The few delivered without are considered rare, in fact, quite rare.

The IS F is no longer in production. Every owner in this forum is keenly aware of this fact. It's also bad form to mention F Sport anything in this forum. F Sport is a marketing term used by Lexus to make otherwise boring cars sound exuberant. F models (IS F, LFA, and RCF) are much more rare, truly sport oriented, and compete with the top of the class in their respective segments.

To add some perspective - I bought an '06 IS350 because it offered something hard to find in the segment. I did not buy, or even consider the IS250 because it would not outperform the Scion tC I already had sitting in the driveway. That measure has not changed, which is why I (and likely any other owner in this forum) would never purchase any of the 250s - new or old, plain, F Sport, or Crafted.
Why doesn't this forum have a "like" button for posts?

Quick Reply: Is the Mark Levinson system worth it?