IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Is the Mark Levinson system worth it?

Old 03-01-15, 08:26 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

If you're in the market for one of these cars, this is not going to be the deciding factor on whether or not you purchase one or not.
You would be correct on that assumption, however I didn't say anything about this being a make or break deal on the IS F, merely wanted some guys opinions on the question posed. Maybe it should've read, of those that purchased their cars new and had the option to check the box off for the ML system, what would be the strengths and weaknesses of the ML system?

I will say this, I thought it sounded just ok when I first bought the car, but after I added a simple 250W amp and 10" JL sub, it rounded out the system very nicely. It has that perfect blend of sounding great when I'm sitting in the car and driving, with bass deep enough that I can feel it but yet being almost dead quiet with the windows rolled up if you're standing a few feet from the car outside of it. No trunk rattles or annoying people in the cars next to you.
On this quote above, did you add any sound insulation (dynamat or something of the sort) when you put in the 10" JL sub to prevent any trunk rattles? Also to go off of what one of the other posts said does the sub have to be a 8ohm sub to match the factory system??

Thx
Old 03-01-15, 09:22 AM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually thought the ML system sounded pretty decent for a factory system. It could use more bass but I have an alpine t ype R which I will put in eventually. If you think the ML system is bad try listening to a Subaru factory system.
Old 03-01-15, 11:55 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
but I *think* even when these cars were built, NAV and ML sort of came as a package, so it's not like you could have chosen NAV but no ML anyway.
I believe that I am one of the very few who have nav/backup camera without ML. That said the base system is alright. It could use some bass, but it's better than the factory upgraded system in my M3 and Corvette. I'm not a huge audio person though. It plays my ipod/cell music just fine. In fact, I'm driving a RC350 right now as a loaner car, and it doesn't sound any better than mine.
Old 03-01-15, 05:04 PM
wing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused about the comment of no bass.

I've listened to XM Radio channel BPM and the bass is so forceful the mirrors are shaking... I don't know, maybe the system varies by car??
Old 03-01-15, 05:45 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by wing
I'm confused about the comment of no bass.

I've listened to XM Radio channel BPM and the bass is so forceful the mirrors are shaking... I don't know, maybe the system varies by car??
lol no way, i could play a bass only frequency on full volume and the bass would do nothing lol.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-01-15, 06:11 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ML in my 08 was much better than my current 2011. I took my 11 in to see if something was wrong with the stereo and service guy told me the 08 was much louder and they were dealing with too many blown subs so they changed the stereo in the newer models. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not but my 11 is def a below avg system for a car of this sticker price.
Old 03-01-15, 06:33 PM
wing
Rookie

Huh that is interesting. Yeah like I said, it's really really bassy.

I was surprised when I picked up the car and was pounding BPM for awhile. One the strongest bass I've heard in an OEM car that's for sure.

Perhaps they did change it.
Old 03-01-15, 06:46 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
You would be correct on that assumption, however I didn't say anything about this being a make or break deal on the IS F, merely wanted some guys opinions on the question posed. Maybe it should've read, of those that purchased their cars new and had the option to check the box off for the ML system, what would be the strengths and weaknesses of the ML system?

On this quote above, did you add any sound insulation (dynamat or something of the sort) when you put in the 10" JL sub to prevent any trunk rattles? Also to go off of what one of the other posts said does the sub have to be a 8ohm sub to match the factory system??

Thx
Honestly, I would have had to listen to a non ML system to make the true decision, but my knee-jerk reaction is no, had I been ordering this car from the factory, I would not have added the upgraded sound as an option because I would have built a better system for the same money. Now, if the ML was packaged with NAV and I couldn't get NAV without getting ML, then yes, I would have checked the box. Basically it's a good system, but not better than what you would build if you bought a quality component system, a sub and an amp.

As for impedance of the sub, I have mine connected through the source for the existing sub through a converter, and my sub is running off of my amp at 4 ohms. I'm pushing 250W rms to the sub in a custom ported enclosure and it sounds great in my opinion. No, I didn't use any dynamat or other sound deadening... the Lexus sound deadening is enough to keep my car from rattling at the level of bass I'm pushing. It has a very muffled almost imperceptible sound when outside of the car with the windows up, and a clean sound inside the car.

I used to be a car audio freak, but I got out of it over 10 years ago. I just want something that sounds decent with all types of music and am not big in to signal processing and fine tuning. ML fits that bill when an aftermarket sub is added.
Old 03-01-15, 07:48 PM
kevintari
Driver

The ML system sucks. You can tune it with the sound controls to make it a little better, but it's pretty much a joke on a high end car like the F.
Old 03-01-15, 07:57 PM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Is the Mark Levinson system worth it???

Well, just read the horror stories and you be the judge. But don't go crying about the Lexus dealers. No matter what brand car, they're all scheisters, that is a given.
Mark Levinson is made by Harman, previously Harman Kardon. Used to be well respected in the audio world.
If you guys want to voice your displeasure, Drop Harman an email: CSupport@harman.com
Old 03-02-15, 01:24 PM
wing
Rookie

Seems all the hate comes from those with 2010+ cars. Interesting indeed.

In Canada ML comes with NAV, no NAV no ML.
Old 03-02-15, 02:25 PM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

As stated earlier it's hard to find an F without ML. Buying a new one, i don't think it's worth it at all to upgrade to it.

'11 ML system here. It's decent, no bass and yes i do have to crank it up to listen to it. So i went and installed (2) 10"s in the trunk. Much happier now but i think soon I'm going to go out and redo my whole system.

So no, not worth it at all as you can put in a much better system yourself
Old 03-02-15, 04:09 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

ML sucks. 2011 here. can't here my metallica at all. I am going to add a 10" woofer and probably a pair of 6x9s in the trunk. just not sure where to get the input for the 6x9s?
Old 03-02-15, 06:53 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all makes sense now why the 2011 year has the worst stereo. The addition of the DRL lights is sapping the strength of the ML stereo or at least this is what I will tell people who don't know any better.
Old 03-02-15, 11:26 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Basically it's a good system, but not better than what you would build if you bought a quality component system, a sub and an amp.

As for impedance of the sub, I have mine connected through the source for the existing sub through a converter, and my sub is running off of my amp at 4 ohms. I'm pushing 250W rms to the sub in a custom ported enclosure and it sounds great in my opinion. No, I didn't use any dynamat or other sound deadening... the Lexus sound deadening is enough to keep my car from rattling at the level of bass I'm pushing. It has a very muffled almost imperceptible sound when outside of the car with the windows up, and a clean sound inside the car.
Awesome Thanks for the feedback on the ML system. I feel that's probably the route I'll go, add a sub in a custom enclosure (not sure if it will be ported or sealed) and evaluate if the rest of the system will be good enough or just do a full out build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the Mark Levinson system worth it?