IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

best solution for harsh ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 06:40 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default best solution for harsh ride?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the harsh ride getting to me after my first test drive.

What's the best way to soften the ride up? I assume a set of coil overs would be a good step....

What about a set of springs? Ive read that the car rides better with tein lowering springs.
Old 02-24-15, 07:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've always felt springs were more for a one-and-done drop, but in all honesty, the IS Fs I've been in that have had just springs, the owners quickly chose to go the coilover route for more adjustability. The ride is less harsh that way and the driving experience should become more pleasant after installation.
Old 02-24-15, 08:10 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Kw v3 coilovers lol

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-24-15, 11:15 PM
V8Lex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year did you test drive?
Old 02-25-15, 08:20 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by V8Lex
what year did you test drive?
2008....yes I know the 2011 got a suspension overhaul, but id honestly rather buy an 08, and do coilovers then spend 10k more for a 2011 vs a 2008 personally.

Id like to think a 08 with KW coils would ride just as good if not better than a 2011 car?

Originally Posted by joshhleee
Kw v3 coilovers lol
Do they still ride good with a decent drop?

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 02-25-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:19 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

best solution for harsh ride, buy another car. you should do a search there are topics discussed about this over and over. The ride is also depends on the wheel size, and tire thickness. I have 08 with 12 oem suspension, it's less firm but you can still feel all the bumps on the road.
Old 02-25-15, 09:26 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zen
best solution for harsh ride, buy another car. you should do a search there are topics discussed about this over and over. The ride is also depends on the wheel size, and tire thickness. I have 08 with 12 oem suspension, it's less firm but you can still feel all the bumps on the road.
Ive done a search, didnt really see anyone specifically saying the car was a ton better with coil overs or anything.

Saw a few people claim it was better with lowering springs, but that doesnt make much sense to me since lowering springs should be a stiffer rate lol
Old 02-25-15, 09:35 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The least expensive solution, buy +2011 shocks and springs(typically can get them used with low miles). 2nd option is coilovers.

Just to add, there are variations in the suspension in 2011, 2012 and 2013 models. For example, the shocks are all different from 2011, 2012, and 2013...but the springs are the same on the 2011 and 2012.
2013 and 2014 have identical suspension setup. Front and rear sway bars are the same on all models 2008-2014.
Old 02-25-15, 09:37 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
Ive done a search, didnt really see anyone specifically saying the car was a ton better with coil overs or anything.

Saw a few people claim it was better with lowering springs, but that doesnt make much sense to me since lowering springs should be a stiffer rate lol
It's really depends on the road condition in your area and if you can cope it. I'd think the 08 suspension rides great on flat surfaced road. The area where I live has tons of pot holes and bumps on the road surface. The 08 suspension is firm but not harsh, and I feel the 08 suspension accelerate the car quicker than the 12 suspension. I haven't experience any ISF with coilover so I can't compare it with the 12 suspension. If you daily drive the car, 11+ suspension swap may be your solution.
Old 02-25-15, 09:39 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

if ride quality is what your looking for then coilovers would be your choice. I'm currently running on BC's and I felt the car has improved for daily driving, for the track thats a different story. Even my gf thinks its much more better had has no problem driving my car now. With her being 115 pounds and the ISF on stock suspension she felt like she was going to fly out the seat after every harsh bump. Even at high speeds on the freeway it feels much more stable.
Old 02-25-15, 10:03 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

KW coilovers
Old 02-25-15, 10:29 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
if ride quality is what your looking for then coilovers would be your choice. I'm currently running on BC's and I felt the car has improved for daily driving, for the track thats a different story. Even my gf thinks its much more better had has no problem driving my car now. With her being 115 pounds and the ISF on stock suspension she felt like she was going to fly out the seat after every harsh bump. Even at high speeds on the freeway it feels much more stable.
I was reading about them, seems like a good alternative at half the price with decent quality.

Do you have the 14/10 setup?

Seems like they recommended the 14/10 but a lot of people jumping up 16/12
Old 02-25-15, 10:55 AM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Using 16/12. 14/10 may be too soft for the ISF.
Old 02-25-15, 11:16 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the harsh ride getting to me after my first test drive.

What's the best way to soften the ride up? I assume a set of coil overs would be a good step....

What about a set of springs? Ive read that the car rides better with tein lowering springs.
You live in Delaware, so you have freeze/thaw cycles and the terrible roads that come with it. Be careful of taking advice on ride quality from folks in California or Florida or somewhere else without real winter. What is just fine in those climates can be awful in other states. I spent most of my life in NJ, so I know Delaware well.
Old 02-25-15, 11:39 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boones
You live in Delaware, so you have freeze/thaw cycles and the terrible roads that come with it. Be careful of taking advice on ride quality from folks in California or Florida or somewhere else without real winter. What is just fine in those climates can be awful in other states. I spent most of my life in NJ, so I know Delaware well.
Yea lol, the roads can be pretty ****ty which is why I was thinking a little softer should help absorb some of the ****

Quick Reply: best solution for harsh ride?