IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Do you admit or mention track use at the dealership with your F ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Do you admit or mention track use at the dealership with your F ?

Was going to be taking the car in for service soon. As usual the techs will be examining the the brakes, etc. Was just wondering if anyone admits track use if techs see heavy wear on brakes, tires,etc. The ISF is a track prepped car like the M3, C63, and Audi S and RS models. Just wondering if others play dumb or admit to simply using the car to the fullest of its designed motor sport capabilities.
Old 02-23-15, 09:51 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since my F is out of warranty I tell them. Lol.
Old 02-24-15, 03:49 AM
CPN83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and 4 other guys all take our ISF's to the track and all use the same dealer, They love it that we go to the track and suggested more regular service interval. That was all they wanted us to do to keep the warranty in tact.
Old 02-24-15, 05:34 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
Since my F is out of warranty I tell them. Lol.
+1, even though they knew. no one is going to have rotor cracking like someone who is on a track... A level tech called me out one of the first times i was in the store.
Old 02-24-15, 05:44 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the only time my car ever goes to the dealership is for a recall, everything else I will do my self.
Old 02-24-15, 07:38 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

I tell the dealer just what needs to be told while I'm under warranty. Like any good Lexus, I have had zero warranty issues in the 2 years that I've owned the car. Whereas my previous M3 was in the shop once a month for about 18 months before everything was fixed.
Old 02-24-15, 08:02 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^I'm so glad I decided not to pursue an M3, I have heard more stories about them being in the shop instead of their reliability! After I drove the IS F my decision was made up after that one test drive.
Old 02-24-15, 09:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. I am going in on Friday for basic service and the fix my seat squeak that showed up 2 days ago. Its slight but Im going to pay them again to take the seat out and tighten everything up again. Small price to pay to play at the track. Also need new rear tires......BADLY. Im thinking since I did 6 track days in 10 months Im going to take a little break. Just want to get her fixed up and back to commuter status ( fresh set of PSS, alignment, and fresh oil ) until I get that itch again.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-24-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 10:38 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

I don't trust the dealer with anything, especially given recent bad experiences. But I specifically brought my car in for the fuel recall when I first heard about it before there was a fix, and they took it upon themselves to note "full headers and exhaust" on my paperwork, blamed my alignment on my swift springs (despite it being aligned by a GTR master mechanic that does alignments on all GTR's and there being a TSB fix for the alignment), and vibration on my wheels (which they were actually correct about), but my point is they look for ANY reason to pass blame onto other outside factors and decide so BEFORE actually looking into the problem or refusing to explore the issue all together. Who's to say they won't prejudge a future issue on your track use and not cover it under your warranty? That applies only if you still have warranty, but treat them like minimum necessary standard of HIPAA, a need to know basis lol
Old 02-24-15, 11:58 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^I'm so glad I decided not to pursue an M3, I have heard more stories about them being in the shop instead of their reliability! After I drove the IS F my decision was made up after that one test drive.
You just joined This month and have 75 posts, watch out Lobux....lol
Old 02-24-15, 12:00 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

My dealer knows I track the car. They were the ones who invited me to my first track event. It was downhill from there...
Old 02-24-15, 12:23 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certain dealers are mod friendly and others not. My dealer installed all my mods so service manager is cool with everything. I've never tracked my car so not sure how he would handle track abuse. I go back and forth with trading my car in for CTS-V but one Caddy dealer near me is def not mod friendly. I stopped in to get to know the service manager and he said even a cat back exhaust on a V that he gets in for servicing could void warranty. He told me he is required by GM to report all mods on a car in for warranty work and then it's up to GM to decide.
Old 02-24-15, 09:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Luckily my car is bone stock. I have these little cool looking 2" carbon fiber track decal sticker for the race tracks I have been on and want to put them on the car but dont want to invite any issues but then again it doesnt mean I do track time in my F. Could be another car .

I'll still put them on after I take it in ......just in case.
Old 02-24-15, 10:04 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
You just joined This month and have 75 posts, watch out Lobux....lol
Lol I know I just realized that I had that many posts in about 3 weeks or so

Just trying to do my research thoroughly before I hop into an F and maybe I'm a little OCD about doing research before I purchase cars
Old 02-25-15, 11:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Lol I know I just realized that I had that many posts in about 3 weeks or so

Just trying to do my research thoroughly before I hop into an F and maybe I'm a little OCD about doing research before I purchase cars
post away buddy. Thats what the forum is for. You are smart to do your leg work before you buy. I do the same thing since I buy them used a few years

Quick Reply: Do you admit or mention track use at the dealership with your F ?