Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-15, 09:21 AM   #1
MileHIFcar
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 85
Default OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....

As my search continues I was weighing the debate of buying a 2008 and putting on the OS Giken LSD with the Ohlins coilovers because of the price you can get the 2008's for, or just getting a 2010+ with the Torsen LSD and upgraded suspension in the 2011's if I went for a 2011+ MY?

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of the two and what you think is better? Would you really notice the difference with the OS Giken LSD or would the Torsen be just as good?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MileHIFcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 09:31 AM   #2
redspencer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
redspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 483
Default

This older post from Mike@FIGS provides the best explanation:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f...ml#post8240397

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGS View Post
Its a fairly large difference between the OSGiken TCD and the Factory LSD. The factory uses a Torsen type which requires a large slip event to engage or a certain number of slip revolutions to engage the other axle and at that the other axle is only splitting torque the with the gripping axle by some ratio. If one wheel loses traction completely then 0 torque is transferred to the other wheel. It also only takes the input torque and divides it, so it does not work under coast conditions.

Click the image to open in full size.
I also found this handly animation
Diferencial Torsen (Autoblocante) / Self-locking Torsen Differential - YouTube

The OSGiken TCD uses a multi element clutch type engagement with a conical washer and splined gears to apply more and more loading to the elements.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
This means that it will allow full 100% locking of both axles at the terminal torque of the loading mechanism. This is a much more progressive lock feel and has more impact in a corner because it gives you a stronger vector through the corner. The driving sensation is that you are being pulled through the corner with the gas pedal vs sliding to the outside gradually with an open diff and simply holding with a Torsen. The point at which the full lock occurs is tunable and the TCD type for the IS-F has through holes in the clutch plates to damp noise and smooth the function quite a bit. I have never felt a "hit" when full lock occurs which does happen on some of the superlock LSD's apparently.

The other thing is that the OSGiken is 2-way, meaning under acceleration and braking the clutch is working. I feel that engine braking with the F transmission is much more effective and stable with the change. Though our car is pretty neatly tuned in other suspension areas so it would hard to give a perspective on a purely stock vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Mike
__________________
“Wow! You probably have the best handling IS 350 street car in the country."-Ken Henderson

-Current: '07 Lexus IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD Super Lock LSD, TRD-tuned F-Sport Suspension & Chassis Brace, Enkei PF01s w/ Michelin PSS (245F/265R), '12 IS-F Steering ECU, Titan Motorsports Solid Diff End Mounts, FIGS LCA Bushings, Tanabe Sustec Under Brace, EBC Yellow Stuff, ATE Type 200, JoeZ intake, Lux/Nav/ML; '08 Lexus GX470
-Previous: '93 Toyota MKIV Supra; '02 Lexus SC430; '99 Lexus SC300
redspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 12:17 PM   #3
MileHIFcar
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 85
Default

Thanks for the link and post. I see you added it to your IS350, was the difference noticeable immediately?
MileHIFcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 01:36 PM   #4
Biggu
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,818
Send a message via AIM to Biggu
Default

MileHIFcar, I am waiting on an ATS Carbon LSD to be sent to me for testing purposes as well. Its price point is lower than the OS Giken and should be just as good or the same.
__________________
1.5jz,e85, 35r, Vertex Ridge, Weds and a few more gooddies, 600hp/654 TQ at 29psi before 3700 rpm
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 01:50 PM   #5
redspencer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
redspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar View Post
Thanks for the link and post. I see you added it to your IS350, was the difference noticeable immediately?
Without a doubt. The best way to describe the difference is to think of the OS Giken TCD as a mechanical torque vectoring differential but without an ECU to dictate how much torque should be applied to the outside rear wheel while cornering. You simply apply more power via the gas pedal in order to progressively add more torque to the outside rear wheel which will help steer your car around the corners and have a high corner-exit speed while maintaining outstanding traction and stability.
__________________
“Wow! You probably have the best handling IS 350 street car in the country."-Ken Henderson

-Current: '07 Lexus IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD Super Lock LSD, TRD-tuned F-Sport Suspension & Chassis Brace, Enkei PF01s w/ Michelin PSS (245F/265R), '12 IS-F Steering ECU, Titan Motorsports Solid Diff End Mounts, FIGS LCA Bushings, Tanabe Sustec Under Brace, EBC Yellow Stuff, ATE Type 200, JoeZ intake, Lux/Nav/ML; '08 Lexus GX470
-Previous: '93 Toyota MKIV Supra; '02 Lexus SC430; '99 Lexus SC300
redspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 02:24 PM   #6
MileHIFcar
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
MileHIFcar, I am waiting on an ATS Carbon LSD to be sent to me for testing purposes as well. Its price point is lower than the OS Giken and should be just as good or the same.
Cool I'm looking forward to your testing analysis on the ATS Carbon LSD
MileHIFcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 02:26 PM   #7
MileHIFcar
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspencer View Post
Without a doubt. The best way to describe the difference is to think of the OS Giken TCD as a mechanical torque vectoring differential but without an ECU to dictate how much torque should be applied to the outside rear wheel while cornering. You simply apply more power via the gas pedal in order to progressively add more torque to the outside rear wheel which will help steer your car around the corners and have a high corner-exit speed while maintaining outstanding traction and stability.
That's sounds like the way the IS F should have been from the factory I wonder why Lexus/Toyota went with an E-LSD for 2008/09 Trying to save a buck??
MileHIFcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 02:39 PM   #8
redspencer
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
redspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar View Post
That's sounds like the way the IS F should have been from the factory I wonder why Lexus/Toyota went with an E-LSD for 2008/09 Trying to save a buck??
That and Lexus was a bit overconfident with their VDIM system that they felt there was no need for a mechanical LSD. The 2 second improvement in lap time at Fuji Speedway with the MY10 IS-F equipped with a Torsen LSD proved otherwise.
redspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 03:42 PM   #9
SpeedFreaksUSA
Sponsor
Trader Score: (0)
 
SpeedFreaksUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 149
Default

Thank you redspencer for posting that. FIGS's did a nice job of explaining the differences. The only thing I want to correct is that the standard version of the OSG is a 1.5-way, not a 2-way. However, it can be configured as a 1.1-way or 2-way if the user wants. Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.

We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
SpeedFreaksUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 04:44 PM   #10
torxuvin
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
torxuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ga
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA View Post
We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
Count me in if we can get it for the right price. It should be interesting to see how the ATS does
__________________

2009 USB/Alpine ISF
Gone But Not Forgotten: E46 M3/C5 Corvette
torxuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 06:12 PM   #11
ihadboost
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
ihadboost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 36
v8brandon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxuvin View Post
Count me in if we can get it for the right price. It should be interesting to see how the ATS does
Count me in too. I would be interested what kind of price break we could get with a group buy.
ihadboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 06:42 PM   #12
Drok149
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Drok149's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ma
Posts: 17
Default

If the price is right I would be very interested as well.
Drok149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 11:08 PM   #13
93MSB
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Send a message via AIM to 93MSB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA View Post
Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.
Wouldn't the factory torsen be more durable, or maybe I should say last longer? It does not have clutches that wear out and eventually need replacing.
93MSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 06:54 AM   #14
Biggu
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,818
Send a message via AIM to Biggu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93MSB View Post
Wouldn't the factory torsen be more durable, or maybe I should say last longer? It does not have clutches that wear out and eventually need replacing.
you are correct, a torsen unit will never wear out for the lifetime of the car. however, due to it being a gear type just remember if for what ever reason you lift a rear wheel, that Torsen will act as a open diff and not lockup where as with a clutch type it will still lockup.
__________________
1.5jz,e85, 35r, Vertex Ridge, Weds and a few more gooddies, 600hp/654 TQ at 29psi before 3700 rpm
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:40 AM   #15
PDP180180
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
PDP180180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA View Post
Thank you redspencer for posting that. FIGS's did a nice job of explaining the differences. The only thing I want to correct is that the standard version of the OSG is a 1.5-way, not a 2-way. However, it can be configured as a 1.1-way or 2-way if the user wants. Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.

We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
Sounds good.

I'd also be interested depending on what kind of discount we can get.
PDP180180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 07:40 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LSD for 3IS F Sport salvadorik IS - Third Generation 9 02-11-15 09:18 PM
OS Giken LSD or OEM Torsen LSD? Andyfishy IS F 9 10-08-14 05:20 PM
Torsen or OS-Giken clutch type LSD? ToothDoc IS F 14 11-20-12 07:26 PM
First Look: IS-F LSD Swaps w/pics (been happening in Japan) Joe Z IS F 82 06-02-12 11:15 AM
KAAZ LSD for SC400 questions Boergy Performance & Maintenance 5 11-12-10 06:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Join ClubLexus

Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info