IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 08:21 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....

As my search continues I was weighing the debate of buying a 2008 and putting on the OS Giken LSD with the Ohlins coilovers because of the price you can get the 2008's for, or just getting a 2010+ with the Torsen LSD and upgraded suspension in the 2011's if I went for a 2011+ MY?

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of the two and what you think is better? Would you really notice the difference with the OS Giken LSD or would the Torsen be just as good?
Old 02-23-15, 08:31 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

This older post from Mike@FIGS provides the best explanation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8240397

Originally Posted by FIGS
Its a fairly large difference between the OSGiken TCD and the Factory LSD. The factory uses a Torsen type which requires a large slip event to engage or a certain number of slip revolutions to engage the other axle and at that the other axle is only splitting torque the with the gripping axle by some ratio. If one wheel loses traction completely then 0 torque is transferred to the other wheel. It also only takes the input torque and divides it, so it does not work under coast conditions.

I also found this handly animation
Diferencial Torsen (Autoblocante) / Self-locking Torsen Differential - YouTube

The OSGiken TCD uses a multi element clutch type engagement with a conical washer and splined gears to apply more and more loading to the elements.

This means that it will allow full 100% locking of both axles at the terminal torque of the loading mechanism. This is a much more progressive lock feel and has more impact in a corner because it gives you a stronger vector through the corner. The driving sensation is that you are being pulled through the corner with the gas pedal vs sliding to the outside gradually with an open diff and simply holding with a Torsen. The point at which the full lock occurs is tunable and the TCD type for the IS-F has through holes in the clutch plates to damp noise and smooth the function quite a bit. I have never felt a "hit" when full lock occurs which does happen on some of the superlock LSD's apparently.

The other thing is that the OSGiken is 2-way, meaning under acceleration and braking the clutch is working. I feel that engine braking with the F transmission is much more effective and stable with the change. Though our car is pretty neatly tuned in other suspension areas so it would hard to give a perspective on a purely stock vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 02-23-15, 11:17 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Thanks for the link and post. I see you added it to your IS350, was the difference noticeable immediately?
Old 02-23-15, 12:36 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MileHIFcar, I am waiting on an ATS Carbon LSD to be sent to me for testing purposes as well. Its price point is lower than the OS Giken and should be just as good or the same.
Old 02-23-15, 12:50 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Thanks for the link and post. I see you added it to your IS350, was the difference noticeable immediately?
Without a doubt. The best way to describe the difference is to think of the OS Giken TCD as a mechanical torque vectoring differential but without an ECU to dictate how much torque should be applied to the outside rear wheel while cornering. You simply apply more power via the gas pedal in order to progressively add more torque to the outside rear wheel which will help steer your car around the corners and have a high corner-exit speed while maintaining outstanding traction and stability.
Old 02-23-15, 01:24 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggu
MileHIFcar, I am waiting on an ATS Carbon LSD to be sent to me for testing purposes as well. Its price point is lower than the OS Giken and should be just as good or the same.
Cool I'm looking forward to your testing analysis on the ATS Carbon LSD
Old 02-23-15, 01:26 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redspencer
Without a doubt. The best way to describe the difference is to think of the OS Giken TCD as a mechanical torque vectoring differential but without an ECU to dictate how much torque should be applied to the outside rear wheel while cornering. You simply apply more power via the gas pedal in order to progressively add more torque to the outside rear wheel which will help steer your car around the corners and have a high corner-exit speed while maintaining outstanding traction and stability.
That's sounds like the way the IS F should have been from the factory I wonder why Lexus/Toyota went with an E-LSD for 2008/09 Trying to save a buck??
Old 02-23-15, 01:39 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
That's sounds like the way the IS F should have been from the factory I wonder why Lexus/Toyota went with an E-LSD for 2008/09 Trying to save a buck??
That and Lexus was a bit overconfident with their VDIM system that they felt there was no need for a mechanical LSD. The 2 second improvement in lap time at Fuji Speedway with the MY10 IS-F equipped with a Torsen LSD proved otherwise.
Old 02-23-15, 02:42 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you redspencer for posting that. FIGS's did a nice job of explaining the differences. The only thing I want to correct is that the standard version of the OSG is a 1.5-way, not a 2-way. However, it can be configured as a 1.1-way or 2-way if the user wants. Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.

We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
Old 02-23-15, 03:44 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
Count me in if we can get it for the right price. It should be interesting to see how the ATS does
Old 02-23-15, 05:12 PM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Count me in if we can get it for the right price. It should be interesting to see how the ATS does
Count me in too. I would be interested what kind of price break we could get with a group buy.
Old 02-23-15, 05:42 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the price is right I would be very interested as well.
Old 02-23-15, 10:08 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.
Wouldn't the factory torsen be more durable, or maybe I should say last longer? It does not have clutches that wear out and eventually need replacing.
Old 02-24-15, 05:54 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
Wouldn't the factory torsen be more durable, or maybe I should say last longer? It does not have clutches that wear out and eventually need replacing.
you are correct, a torsen unit will never wear out for the lifetime of the car. however, due to it being a gear type just remember if for what ever reason you lift a rear wheel, that Torsen will act as a open diff and not lockup where as with a clutch type it will still lockup.
Old 02-24-15, 06:40 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you redspencer for posting that. FIGS's did a nice job of explaining the differences. The only thing I want to correct is that the standard version of the OSG is a 1.5-way, not a 2-way. However, it can be configured as a 1.1-way or 2-way if the user wants. Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.

-Matt M.
Sounds good.

I'd also be interested depending on what kind of discount we can get.

Quick Reply: OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....