IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 06:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
Wouldn't the factory torsen be more durable, or maybe I should say last longer? It does not have clutches that wear out and eventually need replacing.
Theoretically, Torsen LSDs should last longer than most clutch-type LSDs.

OS Giken LSDs have a reputation of never requiring a rebuild (which also contributes to the high price tag) and only require the differential fluids to be changed at normal intervals (typically every 30,000 miles).
Old 02-24-15, 07:53 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

+1 for group buy here.
Old 02-24-15, 04:34 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

OS Giken LSDs have a reputation of never requiring a rebuild (which also contributes to the high price tag) and only require the differential fluids to be changed at normal intervals (typically every 30,000 miles).
You may be correct in that a torsen should last longer than some clutch pack type diffs but I would only believe that to be true under very conservative driving. I'll also go out on a limb and say that majority of people who only put their car around on the street are not looking to upgrade to an aftermarket LSD unit.

My car came with a torsen stock and after 65,000 miles (and to be fair a lot of track days ) the LSD is trashed cannot lock anymore. I have other less expensive options available to me but I chose the OSG unit because of it's proven performance, tunability and especially it's durability even under extreme conditions. Like you mentioned- the reputation of never needing rebuilds contributes to it's higher price tag but it is well worth it, IMHO. Rebuilding the diff isn't exactly cheap even if you are doing most of the work yourself so I would rather do it just once and hopefully be done forever vs saving a little money up front but having problems and having to rebuild again in the future. The way I see it the OSG is likely to be the least expensive option in the long run if it holds up as long as all the other OSG units I've seen, and I have no reason to believe it won't.

As for putting together a group buy, we are a go. I will have the details up ASAP.

-Matt M.
Old 02-24-15, 06:08 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm interested as well depending on price.
Old 02-25-15, 06:47 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Would OSG TCD LSD for the IS350 be included in this group buy?
Old 02-25-15, 07:40 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

OSG all the way. I have a 2010 IS-F with the factory TORSEN, but I also have two MKIV Supras with the OSG 1.5 way Super Lock LSD. My Super Lock LSDs replaced the OEM TORSEN LSDs in my two APU Supras. IMO, the OSG LSDs are the best money can buy for our cars and they are virtually unbreakable. If a guy has an '08/'09 IS-F and is considering swapping in the OEM TORSEN, the choice is clear. OSG all the way...

Ken.
Old 02-27-15, 02:38 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

groupbuybumppleasethanks
Old 02-27-15, 02:45 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Would OSG TCD LSD for the IS350 be included in this group buy?
Yes we can do that.
Old 02-27-15, 09:47 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Thank you redspencer for posting that. FIGS's did a nice job of explaining the differences. The only thing I want to correct is that the standard version of the OSG is a 1.5-way, not a 2-way. However, it can be configured as a 1.1-way or 2-way if the user wants. Perhaps one of the largest benefits of the OS Giken LSD unit compared to the the factory torsen and other competitors is the durability.

We can put together a group buy for OS Giken units if there are a couple people interested

-Matt M.
True they are configured by default as a 1.5 way, which is actually more that sufficient for the IS-F's auto transmission given its downshift characteristics and smoothness. Also of note is that fact that the F-spec LSD is a TCD unit which has through hole lubrication in all of the clutch elements. This makes it noise free for those who have owned a Superlock in the past. Its the ideal diff for the F.

We were one of the first to document the install in the F and the housing mods required. We sell these as a compliment to our other geometry products that will easily allow a 2008/9 to hang with any other car in its class and beyond. In addition to already selling things at MAP, we fully support the installation and complete package with fluids and OE seals so you get an install kit, not just a diff to swap. We also offer a swap service if you send in your diff and can stand a week of downtime. In nearly 4 years of hard testing the unit in our car is performing as well as the day we installed it and that is how we present all of our products, as the only choice we would (or have) install on our own vehicles.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-15-16, 09:42 PM
rlydeadly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

Whats the os gisken ratio on lexus is350?
Old 03-16-16, 12:23 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Kinda wish I had gone with the OS Giken instead of spending just about as much ona 2011 torsen.
Old 03-16-16, 12:52 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

This thread was resurrected from the dead but, if I can get 3 people to buy the OS Giken Super Lock LSD. I'll have a great group buy price.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-16-16, 05:54 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
This thread was resurrected from the dead but, if I can get 3 people to buy the OS Giken Super Lock LSD. I'll have a great group buy price.

-Josh
Lmk, what your great group price is and I might be interested!
Old 03-16-16, 06:08 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

In for the group buy as well
Old 03-16-16, 06:18 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by rlydeadly
Whats the os gisken ratio on lexus is350?
The OS Giken differential ratio on the IS350 is 4.08 and contains 28 clutch plates (same as the IS-F).

Quick Reply: OS Giken LSD vs Torsen LSD differences.....