Pads for track

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 09:12 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pads for track

Quick question:

Should pads match front and rear from a brand and type perspective on the track? Sewell discount for OEM pads isn't what it used to be (I hear they're closing??) so I'm thinking carbotech xp8/10/12 instead for the same price.

The project mu pads on my rear are still meaty so if I don't need to change those I won't. But if it's wise to do front and rear matching I'll pick up a set of each and swap in before track day.

Thanks as always!
Old 02-21-15, 09:20 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zax3gs
Quick question:

Should pads match front and rear from a brand and type perspective on the track? Sewell discount for OEM pads isn't what it used to be (I hear they're closing??) so I'm thinking carbotech xp8/10/12 instead for the same price.

The project mu pads on my rear are still meaty so if I don't need to change those I won't. But if it's wise to do front and rear matching I'll pick up a set of each and swap in before track day.

Thanks as always!
I run XP12's front and XP8's in rear. I chose 8's for rear because they didn't have 10's in stock and didn't want to wait. Keep in mind if you're planning to upgrade pads, please change your fluid. If you plan on running a track with lots of tight turns you will boil over your stock fluid and run off the track like I did. The stock pads and fluid work great together, I had no issues. I installed carbotechs without new fluid and boiled it over with the new added heat. Play it safe and don't take a chance. Luckly for me there was no wall in the turn I went off and I was on a cool down to come off. I run Endless 650 fluid.
Old 02-21-15, 09:25 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

GREAT information. Thank you! I don't really care to replace the fluid before this event since I just had the 60k service done so OEM it is. The question begs tho, would OEM fronts and Mu rear be ok?
Old 02-21-15, 09:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by zax3gs
GREAT information. Thank you! I don't really care to replace the fluid before this event since I just had the 60k service done so OEM it is. The question begs tho, would OEM fronts and Mu rear be ok?
Depends on the track. Some tracks are hard on the brakes and will kill the OEM pads. Others are not, so OEM pads will work OK.
Old 02-21-15, 09:44 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Barber in 'bama.
Old 02-21-15, 09:45 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that will probably disrupt the brake balance to run a gripper pad in the rear. I would recommend even through you just did brake fluid with OEM do it again with something with a high boiling point.
Old 02-21-15, 11:43 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear brakes are barely used on our cars. I went through a set of front carbotechs and the rears are still brand new. Same went for the factory set. I don't think you will have an issue running a stock pad in front and Project mu in rear but I strongly recommend to change the fluid. Nothing better than having confidence going into a turn and have your brakes work than not. It's not worth crashing and potentially writing off your car rather then spend $300 and know you took the right precautions before you go out. Safety is not only for you but for the others you will be tracking with.
Old 02-21-15, 12:20 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are going to track the IS-F I would avoid using the OEM pads up front and the NS400 rears. There is a big brake zone coming into T5 and then another big one right after into T7. This is a heavy, powerful car and it isn't hard to fade street pads on a track, especially one the size of Barber. Aside from fade the next big issue with using street pads on track is the wear rates, it wouldn't be hard to completely kill the stock pads and NS400 in one day at the track since they will be running well above their optimal temperature range.

My advice to you is to just pick a setup that you know will work flawlessly on track and not have to worry about it. I recommend front and rear Project Mu Club Racers or Carbotech XP12/12 or XP12/10 (front/rear) and a high quality fluid like PFC RH665, Endless RF-650, Project Mu G-Four 335, or Motul RBF 660.

Going to the track is expensive before you even get to drive your car on the track, so why risk spending all the time, money and effort getting there to have the experienced ruined by a brake setup that can't handle it? Pad fade isn't fun and fluid fade can be downright terrifying if you don't back off at the first sign and let the brakes cool. The upfront cost can be somewhat intimidating if this is your first experience but there so many benefits that proper track pads and fluid offer. They will last much longer than street pads when used on a track meaning the cost isn't so bad in the long run. They are consistent- you know you're getting the same thing every time you hit the pedal which lets you focus more on your driving. Plus you will have a setup that you can continue to grow into vs having one that you will grow out of very quickly.

Here are some links for you if you are interested:
Pads
Project Mu Club Racer PCR09F160 Lexus IS-F (Front)
Project Mu Club Racer PCR09R106 Lexus IS-F (Rear)

Carbotech Performance Brakes, CT1365-XP12 (Front)
Carbotech Performance Brakes, CT1366-XP12 (Rear)
Carbotech Performance Brakes, CT1366-XP10 (Rear)

Fluid
Endless RF-650
PFC RH665
Project Mu G-Four 335
Motul RBF 660

Please let me know if you have any questions

Best Regards,
-Matt M.
Old 02-21-15, 03:13 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I run carbotech 12/10 all the time for last two years. bit squeaky but i dont mind
Old 02-21-15, 03:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have done 6 track days in 10 months ALL ON STOCK ROTORS AND PADS. Never saw any fade. Never had any noises. Never had any rotors crack . Don't underestimate the oem set up guys. I speak from direct experience and plenty of it in a very short period of time . I've probably done more track time on the stock set up ( brakes, tires , and suspension ) than anyone on the forum right now . I wouldn't toss stock parts for aftermarket. Use the stock stuff and see how it does then move to aftermarket if needed , especially if you are just starting out .
Old 02-21-15, 06:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have done 6 track days in 10 months ALL ON STOCK ROTORS AND PADS. Never saw any fade. Never had any noises. Never had any rotors crack . Don't underestimate the oem set up guys. I speak from direct experience and plenty of it in a very short period of time . I've probably done more track time on the stock set up ( brakes, tires , and suspension ) than anyone on the forum right now . I wouldn't toss stock parts for aftermarket. Use the stock stuff and see how it does then move to aftermarket if needed , especially if you are just starting out .
All on slow tracks. Seriously, you have no idea what you are missing, but you will find out if you ever get to a track with four triple digit braking zones per lap.

XP12/10 here. Zero wear on the rears. I have many track weekends on my original rear rotors. I just measured them last week. They are 50% worn with 112,000 miles and plenty of track use on them.
Old 02-21-15, 06:29 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
All on slow tracks. Seriously, you have no idea what you are missing, but you will find out if you ever get to a track with four triple digit braking zones per lap.

XP12/10 here. Zero wear on the rears. I have many track weekends on my original rear rotors.
I just measured them last week. They are 50% worn with 112,000 miles and plenty of track use on them.
+1, only 64k on my car but same story in the rear. One of the infield tracks at Pocono uses part of the NASCAR ring. Hard braking from 140 for an hour will show you some front rotor cracking.

Last edited by darbs242; 02-22-15 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-21-15, 10:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

XP12/10 here. Zero wear on the rears. I have many track weekends on my original rear rotors. I just measured them last week. They are 50% worn with 112,000 miles and plenty of track use on them.
LOL at slow tracks .110's vs 130's.......Alright bud, but not sure most would call them slow though . I have more technical track experience and I go more regularly than most here so I can still confidently speak on the durability of the oem parts . 6 track days in 10 months with zero issues speaks for itself. Lexus stock parts are still absolutely usable on tracks that train you to drive more technically and have good straights. BTW AMP has 3 triple digit braking zones per lap, INDE has 3, WHP east has 3 , and WHP west only has 1. Still pretty solid performance for stock parts . Considering the frequency of use for my stock parts its still damn impressive .

I'll check out the pads you and darbs are running down the line if I finally hit a "fast track". We dont have the NASCAR type straights out here for any track used by NASA or ProAuto. Lobux and darbs was your last track day? Any video? Curious to see these hardcore braking zones off those crazy straights. Any glowing rotors?

Where did you guys get the pads you are using?? Ebay? vendor here ? Also are you running stock rotors with the upgraded pads or aftermarket rotors as well ??Thanks guys!!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-21-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 10:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by darbs242
+1, only 64k on my car but some story in the rear. One of the infield tracks at Pocono uses part of the NASCAR ring. Hard braking from 140 for an hour will show you some front rotor cracking.
who lets you run the car for an hour? NO WAY in hell I would do that to a dd car. Thats insane !! What organization are you running with? Do they run multiple groups ??
Old 02-21-15, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Is the Lexus on your calipers now permanently gold instead of silver?

I rest my case.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...ml#post4621305

Quick Reply: Pads for track