IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pads for track

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 04:08 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Is the Lexus on your calipers now permanently gold instead of silver?

I rest my case.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...ml#post4621305

Mine are. Another member and I were out at the track and saw my "gold caliper stickers". I said to him it's a good thing to look for when buying an F to know if the car has been beat on.

Last edited by Compthis; 02-22-15 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-22-15, 07:05 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
who lets you run the car for an hour? NO WAY in hell I would do that to a dd car. Thats insane !! What organization are you running with? Do they run multiple groups ??
Nothing insane about it, car takes it just fine. Bertil Roos out of PA runs three, one hour sessions in a track day with hour breaks in between. They run a novice and solo group seperatly. You obviously dont have to stay out the full hour but its available to you and i normally get at least 45 minutes out of it. normally i get off for 10 minutes in the middle to let the car cool a bit. I drive to the track and drive it home every time. I get 9 Hours out of a set of toyo proxy 888 on my factory wheels and need to replace the front xp12 pads at that time. I have been running factory rotors with RBF600 or a couple times have used BENZ brake fluid in a pinch. It has very highly boiling point due to all the heavy AMG cars it comes in from the factory. Carbotech actually recommended the benz fluid. My last track day was in October. Not to many circuits open in winter time in new england.

.... My front lexus logos in my rotors are dark gold

Last edited by darbs242; 02-22-15 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-22-15, 07:21 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by Compthis
Mine are. Another member and I were out at the track and saw my "gold caliper stickers". I said to him it's a good thing to look for when buying an F to know if the car has been beat on.
I prefer we describe these cars actually used for what they were made for.
Old 02-22-15, 09:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
Nothing insane about it, car takes it just fine. Bertil Roos out of PA runs three, one hour sessions in a track day with hour breaks in between. They run a novice and solo group seperatly. You obviously dont have to stay out the full hour but its available to you and i normally get at least 45 minutes out of it. normally i get off for 10 minutes in the middle to let the car cool a bit. I drive to the track and drive it home every time. I get 9 Hours out of a set of toyo proxy 888 on my factory wheels and need to replace the front xp12 pads at that time. I have been running factory rotors with RBF600 or a couple times have used BENZ brake fluid in a pinch. It has very highly boiling point due to all the heavy AMG cars it comes in from the factory. Carbotech actually recommended the benz fluid. My last track day was in October. Not to many circuits open in winter time in new england.

.... My front lexus logos in my rotors are dark gold
NASA and ProAuto out here usually do 4-5 20 min sessions with about 40 to -70 minutes between sessions because of the multiple groups that run. Once you run you need to wait for the other 3-4 groups go out then you head out again. Makes for decent time to let the car cool, change out the GoPro batteries, and to chat with other drivers about the session. In light of what you and Lobux are describing then I would assume that my set up (oem) is fine for the shorter/more technical tracks. For the open tracks with the very long straights then the oem stuff will not hold up as well.

Are the pads you guys recommend noisy?? Squeaky?? Any issues with cold operation? I live at the top of a hill and I dont want issues flying down the hill rushing to work. I've read that some pads need to be warmer to bite. Just curious

I prefer we describe these cars actually used for what they were made for.
Totally agree. When you beat on something it complains. The F just smiles and asks for more. I think of it as letting a large dog loose at the dog park. Let the beast run freely and play with the other big dogs
Old 02-22-15, 11:10 AM
darbs242
Racer

NASA and ProAuto out here usually do 4-5 20 min sessions with about 40 to -70 minutes between sessions because of the multiple groups that run. Once you run you need to wait for the other 3-4 groups go out then you head out again. Makes for decent time to let the car cool, change out the GoPro batteries, and to chat with other drivers about the session. In light of what you and Lobux are describing then I would assume that my set up (oem) is fine for the shorter/more technical tracks. For the open tracks with the very long straights then the oem stuff will not hold up as well.

Are the pads you guys recommend noisy?? Squeaky?? Any issues with cold operation? I live at the top of a hill and I dont want issues flying down the hill rushing to work. I've read that some pads need to be warmer to bite. Just curious

Totally agree. When you beat on something it complains. The F just smiles and asks for more. I think of it as letting a large dog loose at the dog park. Let the beast run freely and play with the other big dogs
Yea, the pads can make quite a bit of noise. chalk across chalk board at times. but the performance is not comparable to oem. I haven't had problems with them in the cold but but there is no doubt that they are designed to be used hot.

I have run with the factory pads before and its not that they dont work or hold up but they do not perform like a track pad with R comps.

Last edited by darbs242; 02-22-15 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-22-15, 06:28 PM
gearcase
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default F

I have had front brake pad and rotor problems , at thunderhill in nor cal. I went back to new oem set up in front $. Rears were ok. Can i put the carbtechs on now that the front rotors are bedded? My friend rents the track we run all day .with breaks and lunch ect the have fuel at track and we need it LOL. Track prepped mustangs dont like is F
Old 02-22-15, 06:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Yea, the pads can make quite a bit of noise. chalk across chalk board at times. but the performance is not comparable to oem. I haven't had problems with them in the cold but but there is no doubt that they are designed to be used hot.

I have run with the factory pads before and its not that they dont work or hold up but they do not perform like a track pad with R comps.
darbs are you running oem rotors or after market? Thanks bud
Old 02-22-15, 08:24 PM
lexuz125th
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lobuxracer why XP10s in rear? carbotech recommend XP8s in the rear. Stock brembo rotors??? Those are so expensive after 4 track days cracks are insane and have to replace them. Thats why Lexus Runs slotted front for CCS R and now on the RCF
Old 02-22-15, 08:28 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gearcase
I have had front brake pad and rotor problems , at thunderhill in nor cal. I went back to new oem set up in front $. Rears were ok. Can i put the carbtechs on now that the front rotors are bedded? My friend rents the track we run all day .with breaks and lunch ect the have fuel at track and we need it LOL. Track prepped mustangs dont like is F
Carbotech says they only way to guarantee you get the maximum potential of the pads is to use them on new or turned rotors so you have an uncontaminated transfer layer. I have personally used several different carbotech compounds on rotors that were bedded in using other pads without issue. These cars would use at least the XP12 compound up front with XP12 or XP10 in the rear. Those compounds are aggressive enough that they will strip away any old transfer layer after a couple days of street driving on cold brakes. At that point you can re-bed the pads to the old rotors, laying down the the new carbotech transfer layer and you should be good to go.

-Matt M.
Old 02-23-15, 05:36 AM
darbs242
Racer

darbs are you running oem rotors or after market? Thanks bud
Yea, oem rotors all the way around. I like the factory rotors and when you buy them direct from brembo theres nothing out there comparable in quality or performance for the money. pair of front rotors are 375 direct. Its to bad RCF rotors are not a direct swap.
Old 02-23-15, 06:15 AM
lexuz125th
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked on brembo's site, no option to buy directly from them. Can you please let me know how you get ISF OEM rotors for 375$
Old 02-23-15, 06:21 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a set off eBay for $250. Check seller 'partscontainer' for a massive list of parts. Mine should be arriving this week, if they're junk or knockoffs I'll let you know.
Old 02-23-15, 09:01 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zax3gs
I got a set off eBay for $250. Check seller 'partscontainer' for a massive list of parts. Mine should be arriving this week, if they're junk or knockoffs I'll let you know.
They are not junk, I ordered from them. They are brembo OEM rotors just without the Toyota box and the 150% mark up.
Old 02-23-15, 09:12 AM
darbs242
Racer

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
Looked on brembo's site, no option to buy directly from them. Can you please let me know how you get ISF OEM rotors for 375$
I just call brembo and give them the part number. Which is the same number as the ones being sold from parts container on ebay. $250 is an amazing deal.

This car honestly keeps getting more affordable to maintain with just a little bit of work looking for deals on oem.
Old 02-23-15, 09:31 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
They are not junk, I ordered from them. They are brembo OEM rotors just without the Toyota box and the 150% mark up.
Great to know! If anyone is looking, here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351172910747?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quick Reply: Pads for track