IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F vs Chevrolet SS, a prospective buyer's test drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 03:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearbangin
Ones an exclusive sports sedan tuned at the race track. The others a Malibu.
Actually it's not. The Malibu is a FWD 4 cylinder midsize car built in the US. The SS may share some styling cues, but that's about it.

It's built in Australia by Holden, and is a RWD V8 Sedan. If it bears any relationship to anything else produced in the US, it's with the late Pontiac G8.

Lou
Old 02-16-15, 03:33 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Actually it's not. The Malibu is a FWD 4 cylinder midsize car built in the US. The SS may share some styling cues, but that's about it.

It's built in Australia by Holden, and is a RWD V8 Sedan. If it bears any relationship to anything else produced in the US, it's with the late Pontiac G8.

Lou
Yeah that's a silly thing to say. That's like someone calling our F a Camry. The Chevy SS while it does give off a last gen Malibu rental vibe, really does offer respectable performance for a 50s "someone" who wants to fly way...way under the radar.
Old 02-16-15, 03:43 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I loved my 04 and 06 GTO's. If something happened to my IS-F, I would pick up a Chevy SS 6spd and throw a whipple on it.
Old 02-16-15, 04:35 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I missing something here? a chevy SS what? cobalt? Camaro? Malibu?
Old 02-16-15, 04:39 PM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
Am I missing something here? a chevy SS what? cobalt? Camaro? Malibu?
Full model name is simply "SS". From Australia and sold there by Holden. Here is a link to the US version:

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html
Old 02-16-15, 04:46 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by boones
Full model name is simply "SS". From Australia and sold there by Holden. Here is a link to the US version:

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan.html
holy moly! GM tried to copy the ISF!!
Old 02-16-15, 04:48 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

LOL!

The Holden Commodore has been around a lot lot longer than the IS-F.

Big V8 Sedans are hot stuff in Australia...Holden Commodore vs Ford Falcon.
Old 02-16-15, 06:10 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read your whole writeup.. You're comparing apples to oranges... A USED luxury performance sedan, to a NEW performance sedan.
Used luxury sedans = ISF, C63amg, RS4, M3

New performance sedans = SS, charger SRT, 300C
Old 02-16-15, 08:40 PM
zpletcher
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I have a 2010 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.2L and I just bought a 2014 Acadia denali and honestly i planned on getting a CTSVS wagon but I will never buy another GM product. The dealer experience sucks, the nav/blue tooth are both very poor and re-sale is brutal. I thought GM had turn things around but it's still the same sub par quality dressed up in prettier packages. If you buy the GM product make sure you buy the extended warranty our Acadia lasted a whole 2weeks before the blue tooth froze....
GM = Government Motors.....?

Hee Hee

Cheers, Z

PS Although so far so good with my 49 yr old Sting Ray.. Ha!!
Old 02-17-15, 01:55 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

First of all, I'll start by saying I'm Australian.

Second of all, the SS is the biggest bucket of **** on the road. They aren't even in the same league as the IS-F, not even worth comparing.
Old 02-17-15, 01:58 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

This made me laugh!

The Holden Commodore SS V8 has been around since 1982.
Old 02-17-15, 05:50 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I read you're entire review and I must say I do respect and understand several of the things you wrote. Both vehicles really don't share the same qualities other than the performance numbers. Numbers only because both are V8 engines and produce over 400hp. I began digging a bit on the Chevy SS and honestly most of what I found it being compared to was the Dodge Charger. That made more sense to me. Before I got my first F I was torn between a C63 and M3. Reliability and simply staying loyal did it for me. At the end of the day it's your call, good luck!
Old 02-17-15, 08:02 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

For all of those ripping the guy for not comparing apples to oranges, remember, not everyone cross-shops cars in the exact same class. The competitors to the ISF are the C63, M3, CTSV, etc, but that doesn't mean someone looking for a high(er) horsepower sedan can't also look at cars like the SS. As dedicated ISF owners, none of us can really imagine wanting an SS over the ISF (at least I know I can't), but for some people, it may make sense. The OP seems to be one of those people. No need to get arrogant or condescending on him because he is shopping a car that most of us wouldn't consider buying. He did what we all should do, which is drive two cars we might be interested in and then pick whichever one suits us the best.

That all said, while I like a bit of a sleeper, the SS styling is far too bland. It looks like a rental car to me, which may be what the OP wants, but makes it a non-starter for me. I would not consider the car on looks alone, even if it had better overall performance. The ISF is definitely a higher-end car, and is priced accordingly. For the same budget, I'd absolutely not hesitate in buying a slightly used ISF over a brand new SS.
Old 02-17-15, 08:48 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback vbb. I can appreciate that the cars are not in the same class. They aren't direct competitors in the marketplace. The cars don't know it, but at the moment they are competing for my dollars. They are similar enough for my purposes to both be considered for the same role. They each have strengths and weaknesses in how well they would perform the variety of tasks I demand.

The comments from those who can't understand the comparison or only have disparaging things to say are expected on an internet forum. Doesn't bother me. I consider it the price of extracting good feedback from other owners. You can be assured that on the SS forum, there are those who will talk about how the lexus can't possibly compare and is undesirable for XYZ reason.
Old 02-17-15, 12:12 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Agreed. Most people shop cars in the same niche but sometimes people don't. I'm loosely shopping for something to replace my Titan and I'm looking at everything from a Tundra/Ram to a 4Runner to a Lexus Nx200t. None of those are in the same class, yet for different reasons all appeal to me.

If you do get the ISF, there's a wealth of information on this site.

Quick Reply: IS-F vs Chevrolet SS, a prospective buyer's test drives