IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tranny fluid change....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 06:12 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

You know my motto you stay ready you dont need to get ready. I broke a V160 on my Turbo IS300 so anything can break son.
Old 02-18-15, 06:21 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Lol bwaahhhaaaa yeah it's cheaper to buy the whole unit then doing the flush

Ready to do mine in 10years time
lol, that's funny. By the time you are ready to put in the new trans, and if something is wrong with it you won't be able to return it or find the seller.
Old 02-18-15, 07:16 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The seller is AW Tec, they are not going anywhere. These likely don't have any promises behind them, but being brand new unobtainium transmissions that just as easily could have been used on the production line while building new F cars, worries should be minimal.

As for changing fluid, you won't hurt anything if done correctly. We burn this fluid up in the trucks and Land Cruisers. It's a good fluid, but too much heat can ruin it, just like anything else. With that said, the likelihood of smoking the fluid in an F is much lower than in the trucks. If we are seeing good results at this point, that being well used cars w/ 100k plus mile, imagine what kind of trans life is potentially possible by keeping the fluid at top spec. I know in the trucks, I keep it at top spec so if things do go wrong, I won't have fluid that was almost used up getting completely smoked out.
Old 02-18-15, 07:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^ Entirely New fluid flush can shock the system... from what I am hearing..

I did a Trans pan drain & refill at 50k miles.. And plan to do another one this month / next month now that I passed 100k miles

It only takes approx 3.6 qts in this process

I also measure what comes out

~ Joe Z
Old 02-18-15, 08:02 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Entirely New fluid flush can shock the system... from what I am hearing..

I did a Trans pan drain & refill at 50k miles.. And plan to do another one this month / next month now that I passed 100k miles

It only takes approx 3.6 qts in this process

I also measure what comes out

~ Joe Z
How did the fluid look when you pulled it out at 50k miles? Send it to blackstone for an oil analysis!!!
Old 02-18-15, 09:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
How did the fluid look when you pulled it out at 50k miles? Send it to blackstone for an oil analysis!!!
I have plan to send some of the fluid for testing the 100K+ oil

~ Joe Z
Old 02-18-15, 09:21 AM
zen
Pole Position

dropped the vehicle at the dealer for the trans/diff fluid change along with the recall on the fuel line and some minor things. I heard it's not an easy task on the trans/fluid change.
Old 02-18-15, 11:57 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zen
dropped the vehicle at the dealer for the trans/diff fluid change along with the recall on the fuel line and some minor things. I heard it's not an easy task on the trans/fluid change.
What I am a little confused about is that if this an opportunity for the dealer to make money, why don't they recommend or push for people to do the tranny fluid change during service appointments? I would be curious to see if they actually even DO it, or just BS you and tell you that it was done since you aren't ever going to open that thing up on your own.
Old 02-18-15, 01:01 PM
zen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
What I am a little confused about is that if this an opportunity for the dealer to make money, why don't they recommend or push for people to do the tranny fluid change during service appointments? I would be curious to see if they actually even DO it, or just BS you and tell you that it was done since you aren't ever going to open that thing up on your own.
I don't know why they don't recommend/push people to change the fluid, but you are correct if the dealership actually perform any work on the transmission since there is no way of checking or showing that the fluid has been changed. I guess it's like an insurance that you paid for the service, in case something goes wrong on the trans then you can go back to the dealer instead of no service record on the trans at all.
Perhaps, I can feel the vehicle runs more smoothly ? Due to the fact that I had the trans fluid change on a IS250 and I could feel the difference.
Old 02-18-15, 02:11 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I have plan to send some of the fluid for testing the 100K+ oil

~ Joe Z
How did you drain..more importantly how did you refill the amount you removed I just passed 100K and may do this..I am not sure of the harm.. but damn I love preventative measures and the fact that the lexus is so reliable Im torn!
Old 02-18-15, 02:12 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, im so compelled by this issue im going to email Lexus Headquarters about this and lets see what they say? If no one has done so yet.
Old 02-18-15, 02:19 PM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

its better just to swap it out then you know its done right. The tranny I mean.
Old 07-24-19, 03:35 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
Old 07-24-19, 06:50 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorta like picking a fight? 4 year old thread and unorthodox views...

be sure to report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by McPierson:
jdmek998 (07-24-19), Wh0pp3r (07-24-19)
Old 07-25-19, 01:52 PM
bigeasy448
Driver School Candidate

My 07 IS250 has about 210,000 miles on it. Within the past year, it has developed an issue with downshifting from cruising speeds. When I'm on the highway cruising in 6th, if I go to accelerate for an overtake too quickly (foot down too fast), it will miss the downshift, revs go up to max, after they come back down and it engages again there is strong a jolt that feels like a kick in the back. If I ease onto the accelerator (who wants to do that haha), I can do the overtake with no issue just a bit slower than I'd like.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change....