IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 08:55 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ELF recall remedy is scaring me....makes me want to ignore the recall

upon checking my VIN from the toyota website,my car is affected by the ELF BUT, i dont smell gas while driving or even when i open the hood while the engine is running....so i was wondering if....my car is really affected or toyota is just making random guesses about this recall....im sure some of you guys can smell the gas and some dont...reading what the lexus guys are doing with our babies is scaring me....im not even sure if they did the work correctly,
someone is whispering "if it aint broken,dont fix it" ....
to cut the long story short....i just want to know what is the REAL symptoms of this recall? Because my car runs fine,dont smell gas....do you guys also wonder about it?
Old 03-08-15, 09:09 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus master tech here,

I have done the recall on 1 IS-F, and have seen a few others come through the shop. The way that Lexus makes us take the intake off is ridiculous (it is needed to get to the fuel pressure sensor). We have to separate the plastic running over the intake manifold in order to remove the intake, but it is extremely brittle and crumbles to pieces when even slightly touched due to the metal intake manifold on the vehicle literally baking the plastic every time the vehicle is driven. In addition to this, every tech in our shop received an email from Lexus corporate stating that nothing additional will be covered if something is broken or damaged during any ELF campaign being performed. So, almost all IS-F owners will be driving with damaged wiring harness shielding that Lexus WILL NOT replace. If I owned an IS-F, I would be extremely skeptical about this recall, versus potential electrical issues down the road.
Old 03-08-15, 09:30 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

how are they breaking that piece? ive taken that off when i did my spark plugs and when i clean out the engine bay a couple times a year. my piece is not brittle.
Old 03-08-15, 09:34 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

i have scheduled for the 16th at longo lexus here at el monte, ill let my SA know about this.
Old 03-08-15, 09:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus master tech here,

I have done the recall on 1 IS-F, and have seen a few others come through the shop. The way that Lexus makes us take the intake off is ridiculous (it is needed to get to the fuel pressure sensor). We have to separate the plastic running over the intake manifold in order to remove the intake, but it is extremely brittle and crumbles to pieces when even slightly touched due to the metal intake manifold on the vehicle literally baking the plastic every time the vehicle is driven. In addition to this, every tech in our shop received an email from Lexus corporate stating that nothing additional will be covered if something is broken or damaged during any ELF campaign being performed. So, almost all IS-F owners will be driving with damaged wiring harness shielding that Lexus WILL NOT replace. If I owned an IS-F, I would be extremely skeptical about this recall, versus potential electrical issues down the road.
Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
how are they breaking that piece? ive taken that off when i did my spark plugs and when i clean out the engine bay a couple times a year. my piece is not brittle.
Tech and owner here with different stories. +1 to the owner story. Mine is not at all brittle, and I have over 110k on the odometer with about 6 track weekends at ~5 mpg for 8 half hour sessions each. Believe me, my engine has seen serious heat - oil temp has seen one bar from the maximum on one 102F weekend.

If you want to see brittle, just pop the hood on any MkIV TT Supra. Every hose will be like glass unless they've been recently replaced. There is nothing on my IS F even close to this.
Old 03-08-15, 09:53 PM
dabs
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my recall done last week.

Everything went as smooth as pie.

I was actually comtemplating on waiting this recall, but the SM convinced me that they had done plenty before and that it needed to be done just in case
Old 03-08-15, 09:54 PM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to the long list. Noticed the damage to the harness as well as a BOLT laying on my intake manifold and both the injector wire brackets loose and no longer bolted to the manifold. Additionally, there were two plugs that were damaged and could no longer be secured to their corresponding brackets. I gave the dealership a peace of my mind. This kind of service is inexcusable. They ordered all the parts needed to make things right. As others have stated the main wire harness is on backorder. This whole experience just proves why I will continue to do all my own work on my car. I just worry how often this kind of work occurs on cars that are serviced by the dealership. Most F owners are car enthusiasts who have a eye to detail a majority of Lexus owners just assume they are getting "Lexus quality" service
Old 03-09-15, 06:32 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
Add me to the long list. Noticed the damage to the harness as well as a BOLT laying on my intake manifold and both the injector wire brackets loose and no longer bolted to the manifold. Additionally, there were two plugs that were damaged and could no longer be secured to their corresponding brackets. I gave the dealership a peace of my mind. This kind of service is inexcusable. They ordered all the parts needed to make things right. As others have stated the main wire harness is on backorder. This whole experience just proves why I will continue to do all my own work on my car. I just worry how often this kind of work occurs on cars that are serviced by the dealership. Most F owners are car enthusiasts who have a eye to detail a majority of Lexus owners just assume they are getting "Lexus quality" service
Yup, the Lexus branding and a direct reason for being an owner of 5 lexus' so far is the "Pursuit of Perfection' and class.. Amongst my engineering group and techs I work with we proud ourselves with ethics, efficiency, and entegrity in the work we do. Seems like they need some better direct guidance or a class in ethics.. I wont slander a techs capability unitl I see proof, but its all out in the open and seems to be a wide ethical cultural problem.. Ethics is something to acheive and continually strive to be better and the best. What is shown is a loss of and carelessness
Old 03-09-15, 06:59 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Damn! This is nuts and I don't even have one yet! I was waiting to see if you chimed in on this issue since you already had the recall done. Since your local which dealership did you go to so I can avoid it when I get mine
Originally Posted by JM51526
LiquidTek - I'm also in Colorado, and curious as to which dealer you took it to... Thanks!
I went to Kuni Lexus in the DTC. Will follow up with whatever I hear from the service manager hopefully today.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
That's very disappointing to see... The harness protector is there for a reason..!!

All they did was leave your wires exposed and zip tied + taped on some of the bottom that was left..

On a side note, why is there coolant sprayed all over the front ???

Joe Z
Your guess is as good as mine
Old 03-09-15, 07:55 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmjeffreyw
Who did your recall? I am in AZ as well.
Old 03-09-15, 08:47 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidtek
I went to Kuni Lexus in the DTC. Will follow up with whatever I hear from the service manager hopefully today.

Your guess is as good as mine
Cool, I live up north so I will try Stevenson or Lexus of Frederick.......... can't wait to hear what the SA tells you today since they questioned you on whether or not you were lying (unbelievable!).
Old 03-09-15, 09:25 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joshhleee
was going to get this done during spring break but now im questioning getting it done...
same here... any Illinois people?
Old 03-09-15, 09:45 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
same here... any Illinois people?
Right here bud. Woodfield Lexus. Holding off as well, but bringing in soon for the cooling fan recall. Requesting a master tech for both.
Old 03-09-15, 11:56 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
Who did your recall? I am in AZ as well.
just sent u pm
Old 03-09-15, 12:32 PM
Dubxl152
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
Well I finially got my car in at Lexus of Carlsbad.... I am going to be the Guinea pig for the IS-F's as they have done multiple ISx50's, LS' and GS' and mine being the one of the first of the IS-F's done at their dealership wish me luck!
How did they do on your car? Everything go smooth?

Quick Reply: "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*