IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 04:20 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What in the heck is going on? New coolant leaks, significant 'test' miles, engine pings, cracked engine protectors & damaged wiring harnesses? I would like to know my car isn't going to catch on fire when I'm driving but this "fix" clearly has some kinks to be worked out on the technician front.
Old 03-06-15, 07:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Damn..!! Lots of second rate work going on here..

As an FYI.. While they are performing the cooling fan LSB to install new same design screws + locktite..
They have to disconnect the top radiator lines and reservoir bottle..

What's happening is the hoses are getting stock to the plastic.. When then try to turn the line off..
Especially the small hose line, it cracks the outlet right off the topside of the radiator..

So that automatically gets you a newly designed radiator which comes with new reservoir bottle and lines..

I'm going to need to get the ELF recall done soon.. Smells a bit gasy up front now..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-06-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 08:43 PM
TURBO5DAVE
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if they will allow you to install the updated part if your a master tech not at the dealer? I'm very hesitate to take my car in when I hear about all these issues that I would never allow on anything I work on.
Old 03-06-15, 08:43 PM
gearcase
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Elf

Have about an hour drive time after recalls cooling fan,elf no codes or anything. I think the repairs should be done and lexus should stand behind it. I was going to wait as well , but i don,t want problems later at track so i did it now. You can ask for master tech. I told them i was going to pop the hood before i left dealer . I drove the parkway by dealer in circles for 10 min before i drove home. Or you take it back right away. My 2 cents
Old 03-06-15, 09:14 PM
kdm
Pole Position

Holy crap just saw the posts about shoddy work. Going to check under the hood for any cracks right now! :O
Old 03-07-15, 05:24 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
as promised the pictures of what they did to mine electric taped it and it came off after 30 miles of driving due to the heat........... and still waiting on the replacement part. Thank you to that awesome Lexus Technician!

OH MY GOSH BRO! Thats horrible lol, I wouldn't add tape to a $1500 civic, let alone a Lexus ISF. What the heck is up with these dealers. Over a $58 part they tarnish their reputation. This just goes to show that the dealers aren't "superior" to other little mom and pop shops, they take no accountability just like the rest of them...

The best maintenance, repairs, or installs were done by the smallest of shops. Because they are usually owner operated, they have a lot more to lose then a dealer does (or at least things like this affects them more) so they go above and beyond to be meticulous with your car and ensure its done right, because they can't afford the negative publicity. Horrible man!

I will update with resolution when (and IF) I get any.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-07-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 09:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Just for the record... This is UNACCEPTABLE on many levels...

The tech should be let go on the pure basis of putting electric tape all over a part that broke easily during the recall..

What happen to giving the difficult work to the master techs..!!??

Joe Z

Well to update everyone I didn't not have such great experience. I actually checked their work and there was spilled coolant everywhere... That's not the worst part they completely broke my wiring harness protector. It's the plastic part in the middle on top of the intake manifold. The dealer did not tell me it was broken into pieces they just sent me on my way and send nothing. All they did was electric tape the pieces together. So of course I called them back and complained and my SA said would talk to the tech and get back to me. Well he called me back and said the tech had a hard time moving the wires with protector and with the protector being so brittle it cracked. I didn't argue because I touched an old zip tie in the area and it completely broke off. It was just the way they went about it, to make a long story short they said they would replace the wiring protector and call me when the part arrives and apologized of course. So that's where I'm at. You should always check their work..... You don't know who's working on your car. They could say they are assigning it to a master tech but honestly if they are busy they will just give it to the next tech available. They are not making any profit from a recall. Oh and I'll post pics when I get a chance I sure took a lot lol
Old 03-07-15, 10:02 AM
kdm
Pole Position

It makes me uneasy to see RedlineAZ's photo. Literally, the entire thing is taped up.

I checked my protector yesterday and only a vertical crack on the bottom part. Still, it bothers me that they just taped this..? Quite unprofessional. I'll have to contact my SA and report this. This is just unacceptable.
Old 03-07-15, 11:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It makes me want to do the disassembly myself, have them install the new o-ring, then reassemble myself. I would just have to have a tow to and from...
Old 03-07-15, 12:54 PM
RedlineISF
Rookie

I had this recall work done last week. Didn't think to pop the hood before I left. Just checked for damage now and sure enough it is cracked in same place as other CL members have mentioned. I called my SA at Newport Lexus and he said no problem bring it down and they will "make it right". I expect they will replace part they broke. Will update once I am able to get this done. Agree with Joe, unacceptable.
Old 03-07-15, 01:21 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

"Make it right" seems to be the same words that my SA told me. The problem is my car is with me in Florida and soon to be in Hawaii so all I'm waiting on is the part from the dealer. I did however order one on lexuspartsnow.com and they cancelled the order because it's on back order and there is no ETA on the new wire harness protector. I plan on getting in touch with someone from Toyota corporate about how the dealership is handling this if the part never comes through.

the cool tape that I put there temporarily seems to be working fine even after the 2000 mile journey from Cali to Florida.
Old 03-07-15, 03:04 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

Default ELF recall experience update

Originally Posted by kenneth40
For what it's worth, ...both me and my brother in-law with 08's had the ELF campaign completed at Lexus of Silver Spring in MD. yesterday. While in there I also had the Cooling Fan recall completed and the known leaky water pump replaced. All work appears to have been completed without issue.
After hearing all the bad experiences about the electrical tape and broken harness connector, I decided to pop the hood and check the Lexus Dealership's workmanship out. Looks like I got the same issue with sections of wrapped electrical tape and a nice hole where "it can breathe better I guess?". Check out the pics
I'll be calling the dealership on Monday.

My brother in-law who also had his done to his F, has the same issue. Appears to have even more tape than mine. (pics of his not shown)
Attached Thumbnails "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*-img_5662.jpg   "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*-img_5663.jpg   "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*-img_5664.jpg   "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*-img_5665.jpg  
Old 03-07-15, 03:13 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ I like how they put those misc. zip ties on yours.... what did they think that was going to do its not even zip tied all the way down. It's a recall epidemic!
Old 03-07-15, 03:38 PM
GX470Ken
Driver

^^^ I like how they put those misc. zip ties on yours.... what did they think that was going to do its not even zip tied all the way down. It's a recall epidemic!
My relative and I already talked to the service advisor we dealt with. We have him on speed dial for this. Of course he's unaware what those techs did but promised to make it right after seeing the pics.
My relative has the whole front of the connector taped entirely with electrical tape. See pic below:
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by GX470Ken; 03-07-15 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-07-15, 06:10 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

So after reading this thread and my car sitting in the garage the last two weeks due to weather I decided to pop off my engine cover. Hard to add to the horror show of this recall but my harness cover was completely MIA. I went to the dealer today to talk to service manager and they were out. I left my contact info but the guy had the nerve to say "well we don't even know if it was there in the first place we have to ask the technician who worked on it" yeah I'm sure he will fess up about that... Will follow up after I hear back.

Quick Reply: "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*