IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*

Old 02-21-15, 09:13 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattbeeezy
dang... that sucks. At least you guys are getting the recall done. I keep calling and they said they are not prepared to fix the recall at Lexus of SD. I'm going to try another lexus dealership thats around the area.
I don't know if this is true or not, but supposedly my dealer said they are releasing 1 kit a week to each dealer because they don't have enough parts for the demand? Probably BS, but thats what mine said to convince me to schedule it lol
Old 02-21-15, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I just read through the procedure. There is great opportunity here for something to go wrong. I am not comfortable having this done by just any line tech. If it weren't a safety issue, I would pass on this.

The other interesting piece to this is, if they discover dried coolant under your intake manifold, you'll be looking at a second, far more expensive repair if you are not still under warranty.

This does not make me feel good at all.
Old 02-21-15, 09:59 PM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I just read through the procedure. There is great opportunity here for something to go wrong. I am not comfortable having this done by just any line tech. If it weren't a safety issue, I would pass on this.

The other interesting piece to this is, if they discover dried coolant under your intake manifold, you'll be looking at a second, far more expensive repair if you are not still under warranty.

What all does the repair entail? The dealer made it seem like it was a breeze but they created a misfire and damaged an ignition coil.
Old 02-21-15, 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

They remove the intake manifold and all the low pressure injectors just to get to the fuel pressure sensor. If they drop the sensor, it has to be replaced. All new seals for the low pressure injectors (on principle), and a new throttlebody gasket. They polish the sealing surface for the pressure sensor, and have a very complex method of ensuring the seal on the new o-ring. Of course, with the intake manifold off, they'll be able to see if you are leaking coolant from the o-rings between the water pump and the coolant reservoir on top of the valley between the cylinders. If this is leaking, they'll be telling you about the repair which includes removing the timing cover (no small feat) and in all likelihood, replacing one (or more) direct injection injectors because they broke when they removed the connectors.

There is nothing about this repair I think is fit for a typical line tech. After having my water pump replaced under warranty and seeing the quality of the clean up they did (It made me take it back to them because it appear to still be leaking), I am not at all confident this will be executed the way I would want.

The service document is 57 pages and has two steps where two technicians are required to prevent damage to the wiring harness. I am very unhappy about this.
Old 02-22-15, 01:42 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

so in your opinion we shouldn't take the car to the dealer for this recall?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-22-15, 06:46 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

They remove the intake manifold and all the low pressure injectors just to get to the fuel pressure sensor. If they drop the sensor, it has to be replaced. All new seals for the low pressure injectors (on principle), and a new throttlebody gasket. They polish the sealing surface for the pressure sensor, and have a very complex method of ensuring the seal on the new o-ring. Of course, with the intake manifold off, they'll be able to see if you are leaking coolant from the o-rings between the water pump and the coolant reservoir on top of the valley between the cylinders. If this is leaking, they'll be telling you about the repair which includes removing the timing cover (no small feat) and in all likelihood, replacing one (or more) direct injection injectors because they broke when they removed the connectors.

There is nothing about this repair I think is fit for a typical line tech. After having my water pump replaced under warranty and seeing the quality of the clean up they did (It made me take it back to them because it appear to still be leaking), I am not at all confident this will be executed the way I would want.

The service document is 57 pages and has two steps where two technicians are required to prevent damage to the wiring harness. I am very unhappy about this.
Thanks for the info on this. Anything in particular you recommend I look out for when getting the car back?

Originally Posted by joshhleee
so in your opinion we shouldn't take the car to the dealer for this recall?
I think because of the complexity of the repair, he's suggesting that he isn't comfortable with just any line tech doing it, maybe a master tech would be someone to request when you have it done.
Old 02-22-15, 03:58 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cars in the dealership till Tuesday for this and the radiator fan screws. The radiator shroud ended up being cracked. They gave me a ct200 for a loaner car.
Old 02-22-15, 04:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Know you know why I just did my own radiator... And beefed up the colling fan bolts..

Joe Z

Old 02-22-15, 05:18 PM
Golfer2000
Driver School Candidate

There is great opportunity here for something to go wrong. I am not comfortable having this done by just any line tech. If it weren't a safety issue, I would pass on this.
I thought the same thing when I read it. I'd rather not be the first car they learn on either. I think I'll pass on it for now.
Old 02-22-15, 05:34 PM
Turbogoat3
Driver School Candidate

We got the ELF kit at my dealer and I can reassure you it is definitely something 1 halfway decent tech can do by himself. I haven't personally done an F yet but I have done a GS and an LS. The Repair manual says to place the manifold to the side with everything still attached. They give you a little tray to set the manifold on. Honestly though everyone I have seen donor including my self has just taken the manifold off completely to avoid a pinched harness. Plus it gives you more room to accurately re-torque the sensor to the proper 6.5 nm it requires. Hopefully your dealer would dispatch it to a tech who they felt was qualified to do it.
Old 02-22-15, 05:37 PM
Turbogoat3
Driver School Candidate

Oh and I agree. I hope this actually finally fixes the problem. After originally switching the fuel rails, and then the o-ring and now this. I sure hope this fixes it for good.
Old 02-22-15, 10:34 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the errors the dealers are making is scaring me to take my car to the dealer for the solution.....IF...we ignore the remedy for this recall,will it have any difference in performance?
i know this recall could set the car on fire and all...but besides the safety,i just want to know about the performance side.....
Old 02-23-15, 06:45 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
the errors the dealers are making is scaring me to take my car to the dealer for the solution.....IF...we ignore the remedy for this recall,will it have any difference in performance?
i know this recall could set the car on fire and all...but besides the safety,i just want to know about the performance side.....
haha typical car guy It could blow up but.....will it slow down? haha
Old 02-23-15, 08:48 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
If you smell fuel... Pull over!!

If you see flames.. Exit the vehicle!!

Joe Z
Old 02-23-15, 09:47 AM
tonyj9
Driver School Candidate

I recently scheduled an appointment to my local lexus dealer of Cerritos without hesitance from them and I will be taking in my car tomorrow for this issue as well. I dont see smell or notice any type of fuel leak but just to be on the safe side im taking it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "ELF" Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak *Remedy Available*