IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Prospective Buyer

Old 02-11-15, 08:07 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Buyer

Hi all. Been looking at upgrading my daily driver from a G35 6MT sedan I have owned since new. It's been almost flawless and entirely dependable, but I'd like something faster. I bought that car at sea level and up here at altitude in CO, it feels much weaker.

Considering several vehicles, both used and new. All are powerful, 4 door vehicles that don't go out of their way to display how fast they are. Used IS-F is on this list as used BMW M cars scare me with reliability issues. I'm in at the 40-50k price point which gives me several good options. Personally I have to decide if I can live with an automatic transmission as a large differentiator between my options. Also, I have to fit a kid seat in the back, and leave room for a second kid seat.

I've been reading posts on this site and have been looking for a buyer's guide. For the IS-F I think I want a 2011+ model for the torsen rear end and improved ride quality from the suspension. I may track the car occasionally for HPDE, but have a dedicated toy/race car for that. I will occasionally drive the car in the snow/ice and would equip it with dedicated studded snow tires on dedicated wheels for that purpose. My G35 with studded snows is better in the snow and ice than our Subaru Outback H6 on all seasons for example.

Can anyone point me to a buyer's guide? What to look for to indicate rough usage or issues? Notable options, etc?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-11-15, 10:04 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

apparently more people in co are becoming wise to the ways of the F. dedicated snows are a must. mine is a garage queen unless it's going to be a nice day. definitely search theres lots of information on changes and options available throughout the years.
Old 02-11-15, 10:22 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

There is a lot more choice of vehicles 2010 or older, but in 2011 there was a suspension update and torsen rear end. Were pre 2011 model open diff? Are there reliability differences between the years? Is this thing Toyota reliable, or have a host of specialized issues for it's unique components?
Old 02-11-15, 10:28 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

08-09 have an electronic lsd, mechanically it's an open diff.

2009: interior trim on doors, center console, nav changed from silver to black
2010: mechanical lsd, updated nav (gen 6), new style wheels
2011: suspension updates, new style headlights (no longer adaptive), alcantara leather, updated gauge cluster, updated steering wheel
2012: more suspension updates?, Newest style wheels
2013: minor nav updates
2014: minor nav updates, carbon fiber rear spoiler, F embossed headrests & maybe a couple other minor interior updates?

Reliability is high for all year models. The only mechanical flaw is leaking water pumps for early model years 08-09 and maybe 2010. Most of those will have had the water pump replaced by now
Old 02-11-15, 10:29 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

2010 got the torsen. 2011+ multiple suspension revisions.

edit: beaten. badly
Old 02-11-15, 10:30 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah isf is Toyota reliability. I think 2011+ is worth it. With that price range you can get a good 2012-2013.
Old 02-11-15, 10:48 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

Great feedback, thank you. These are reasonably rare cars around here. I'd fly to get what I want, but need some seat time to determine if the IS-F tickles me the right ways. Actually, most RWD cars that aren't muscle cars are pretty rare here. Is anyone putting kid seats in the back? My G35 handles these OK, with an inch or 2 between the front seat headrest and the rear facing car seat. The G35 has a 2 inch longer wheelbase then the IS, so I'm concerned about enough back seat room for those unfortunate, but legally required kid seats.
Old 02-11-15, 11:51 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i have a Pro Ride Convertible Recaro in the back, behind the passenger seat. i only put it in when i have to pick up my 11 month old or take him to his grandparents house. other times i leave it out bc w/ it, it blocks visibilty kinda badly. plus, the pass seat it pretty much all the way forward. the pro ride recaro is one of the few that will fit in the back bc it's narrower than others convertibles. the rear isf seats are bucket style seats. also, it's so tight back there i can't even get the latches in so it's only secured w/ the seat belt. once he's big enough to have it forward facing, i'll be able to use the upper latch onto the rear deck. there's also another thread discussing baby seats and the isf, so, if you search you can find it. hope that helps.
Old 02-11-15, 01:08 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
08-09 have an electronic lsd, mechanically it's an open diff.

2009: interior trim on doors, center console, nav changed from silver to black
2010: mechanical lsd, updated nav (gen 6), new style wheels
2011: suspension updates, new style headlights (no longer adaptive), alcantara leather, updated gauge cluster, updated steering wheel
2012: more suspension updates?, Newest style wheels
2013: minor nav updates
2014: minor nav updates, carbon fiber rear spoiler, F embossed headrests & maybe a couple other minor interior updates?

Reliability is high for all year models. The only mechanical flaw is leaking water pumps for early model years 08-09 and maybe 2010. Most of those will have had the water pump replaced by now
2011. updated steering ecu and steering rack
2013. updated steering ecu one more time
Old 02-11-15, 03:14 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2012+. The newest style wheels are also .5" wider front and back.
Old 02-11-15, 08:36 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just posted my 2011 for sale in the classifieds. Mint with best mods on it. Check it out
Old 02-12-15, 06:03 AM
DaLurker
Driver School Candidate

I have a booster seat in the back of mine. The adult leg room is adequate. The front seats are recessed in the back of them to make more leg room for the passengers. (Shameless plug) My 2012 white with red is currently for sale also. I drop the price every time I make a payment. However, being at altitude, I think your best bet would be to get something force fed. NA loses tons of power at elevation.
Old 02-12-15, 05:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

2010 will give you the better equipment for track performance, 2011 mostly cosmetic changes with better suspension, and 2012 1/2" wider wheels. I was tempted by the 2011 but didnt want the centered tach and I prefer the adaptive headlights because I live on a hill with winding roads and a little off the beaten path . I think the 2010s and up are best. 2011 and 2012 will give you pretty much all of the minor and major upgrades. If you dont mind the 2011 tach in the center I would shoot for the 2011.
Old 02-12-15, 06:10 PM
joshv06
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure you would be happy with the upgrade. I can say that the back seat is fairly small, and depending how tall you are you may run into issues with a rear facing baby seat? (if that is the correct term for it).
Old 02-16-15, 08:07 AM
boones
Driver School Candidate

OP here. First I want to say thank you for the feedback. It's been valuable and appreciated. Second, for those who read this thread with the same baby seat questions, here is a good thread from this site discussing the topic with seat suggestions and pics.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-is-f.html

Third, I finally got to drive an IS-F this past Friday. I will start a new thread on that as the topic has shifted to a comparison between the IS-F and a Chevrolet SS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prospective Buyer