IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

After 363 days of ownership, 12,247 miles, and 6 track days I'm in love with the ISF!

Old 02-13-15, 08:20 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I get it, it's personal preference and what you said make sense with it standing out vs the regular is250/350 I honestly didn't think of that, also that made me think the shift warning lights only came on the 2011's and up? I thought if was for all years?
All the years had the shift warning "beep" but only the 2011+ updated gauges have the 3 warning shift lights that light up consecutively right before redline (similar to the GT-R) along with the audible "beep".

Last edited by RSXiMUS; 02-13-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 09:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
@OP, I remember seeing a member tracking his ISF and the OEM brake crack after the 1st session. You have tracked your car 6 times. I wonder what brake rotors/pads did you use and how did they perform? Did you experience any brake fade at any point? How aggressive did you brake? Since you are in the advanced group, I assume you brake very aggressively with super late threshold braking that engages ABS all the times?

My IS350 OEM brake system faded after 15-20 mins on the track when I brake late aggressively every corners. After cooling down, it works fine again but then I have to brake earlier conservatively.
I do brake very aggressively when Im on the track but Im maxing out at about 110-112 mph. When I had my Bridgestones I could hear them fighting for traction when I would get on the brakes hardThe tracks I have been on are much more technical and shorter. Most of the members who have upgraded their pads are running on courses that have NASACR type open high speed banking and/ or very long straights so they are topping out at closer to 140 mph. I have had zero fade at any point on any track. In fact not even a peep from the brakes and not even any smell by the time I park the car. My brakes are 100% Brembo oem. I replaced my pads 7k miles ago and have a set of fresh Brembo rotors waiting in the garage for duty. ( gotta love Sewell Lexus parts close to 40% off rate for CL members). lol Now that I think of it. After many runs I have had others approach me and they usually comment on how hard the car can brake. Even an instructor who took a ride with me at INDE the first time I went out was blown away. The ISF feels fun on the street but it really comes together on the track in my experience. I am amazed at how well those little 225s can hold and brake such a heavy car . I was leaving lighter cars with slicks behind with my PSS at Bondurant WHP east course.

Originally Posted by RMA
Awesome vids, thanks for sharing. Now thanks to you I will be saving $$ & run my car 100% stock except the Figs LCA's.
Great idea. When you become a fellow track junkie you will find that its fine just to run her stock and save the cash to burn on tires. You can get crazy and buy extra wheels and tires but after thinking about it I dont want the hassle of buying another set , swapping wheels and tires all the time. The LCA from figs sounds great too. I have noticed some uneven wear on the front . My rears are .5mm from the wear bar indicator after 5k miles and 4 track days. I am a little amazed to be honest but I still intend on running PSS again because my F is a commuter and I want a smooth quiet ride and I love the fat meaty look of the PSS. The only thing I recommend is when you see the checkered flag and session is over just try to run that last lap nice and slow to let the rotors cool. Also when I exit I was taught to always take a little lap or two around the parking/paddock area to let the rotors cool. When you park just hop out , open the hood, and then sit back and smile. Make sure you take a GoPro and some glass cleaner and a towel. Your glass will get dirty and you want a clean piece of glass to film through. Something nobody will tell you and most dont think of until they are watching track footage through a splattered dead bug

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-14-15 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 12:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I need to edit the title of the post......I actually did 6 track days in 10 months but 12 months of ownership. Bought the car 2/9/14 and did the first track day 4/5/14. I'm even more impressed with those rotors and pads .

Somebody put a cape on the F. She is strong.
Old 02-14-15, 09:12 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are u using the driled OEM rotors? if so, do you see any stress mark or crack around those drilled holes? A lot of people keep saying drilled rotors tend to develop stress marks on track. Did you upgrade brake fluid and/or steel line?

im impressed to see that OEM brake on your car can hold up this good. that is definitely an upgrade over the is350 brake which does fade a litte after 15-20 mins heavy braking on track like Willows Spring. cooling down and conservative braking helps the issue though.
Old 02-14-15, 05:25 PM
kevintari
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
coming from a long line of "performance" cars, that is one thing I notice. Most if not all high performance cars have large center mounted tachs. It's probably the most vital instrument you look at during racing or spirited driving so it makes most sense to make it large and center.

I rarely glance at the smaller analog speedo because there is a rather large digital speedometer built into the tach, so you'll get your speed reading in both digital and analog format if you take a glance.

Totally agree on this!

And aside from everything that's already been said, I look at the $42k I paid for my 2011 CPO with 30k miles, and I can't think of another car that compares against the combination of price, ridiculous performance and outstanding reliability...any ideas on this one?

Last edited by kevintari; 02-14-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

track pics in recently
Attached Thumbnails After 363 days of ownership, 12,247 miles, and 6 track days I'm in love with the ISF!-img_4533.jpg