IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How does the 08/09 MY IS F's do on the track with the elsd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 10:00 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default How does the 08/09 MY IS F's do on the track with the elsd?

In my search for an F I was curious how much of a disadvantage is the ELSD on the 08/09 model years compared to the Torsen LSD models from 2010 and up?

There must have been a reason that Lexus put on the Torsen LSD starting in 2010, was it critiques from the press and feedback from customers, or just a move to keep sales up for the IS F?
Old 02-06-15, 04:17 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

The 2010 IS-F was able to shave 2 seconds off its lap time at Fuji Speedway. Evo also had these words to say about the addition of the Torsen LSD:

"In a word, even better. The electronic diff in the previous IS-F was just a part of its stability system, braking a spinning inside wheel, but not doing much to help traction. You’d come out of a corner and sense the car holding back slightly, before snapping straight as the brake released and firing forwards down the next straight, 5.0-litre V8 snarling away. It was a neat party trick in its own right and we loved the way it drove, but it didn’t flow nearly as well as this version.

What strikes you first is not only how much earlier you can get on the power, but how much harder. The rear end stays faithful for a long time and when the lateral forces do finally overcome the diff’s tenacious hold, the IS-F slides very progressively. OK, if you give it a bootful in second gear you’ll need to be quick with the lock, but on a cross-country strop it feels playful and well balanced, feeding the power in smoothly and consistently."
Old 02-06-15, 05:08 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It wasn't just the mechanical diff alone that shaved 2 seconds off of Fuji, but yes, the Torsen LSD is better than the eLSD for the track. That all said--and I'll let the true track stars among us weigh in--the 08-09 ISF is a very track capable car and you won't be held back or handicapped by the differential unless you're a top-tier driver.
Old 02-06-15, 07:27 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redspencer
The 2010 IS-F was able to shave 2 seconds off its lap time at Fuji Speedway. Evo also had these words to say about the addition of the Torsen LSD:

"In a word, even better. The electronic diff in the previous IS-F was just a part of its stability system, braking a spinning inside wheel, but not doing much to help traction. You’d come out of a corner and sense the car holding back slightly, before snapping straight as the brake released and firing forwards down the next straight, 5.0-litre V8 snarling away. It was a neat party trick in its own right and we loved the way it drove, but it didn’t flow nearly as well as this version.

What strikes you first is not only how much earlier you can get on the power, but how much harder. The rear end stays faithful for a long time and when the lateral forces do finally overcome the diff’s tenacious hold, the IS-F slides very progressively. OK, if you give it a bootful in second gear you’ll need to be quick with the lock, but on a cross-country strop it feels playful and well balanced, feeding the power in smoothly and consistently."
Interesting quote thanks for that

Originally Posted by vbb
It wasn't just the mechanical diff alone that shaved 2 seconds off of Fuji, but yes, the Torsen LSD is better than the eLSD for the track. That all said--and I'll let the true track stars among us weigh in--the 08-09 ISF is a very track capable car and you won't be held back or handicapped by the differential unless you're a top-tier driver.
Yea I hope some others weigh in with their opinion. Has it been common to see anybody else that has the 08-09 switch and actually add a OS Giken LSD to their cars?

I'm no track star at all but was just curious that when I get an IS F what kind of performance I should expect from it at the track.
Old 02-06-15, 09:56 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U wont feel any different from normal driving unless you do a 360 burn out but on the track or canyon driving is totally oh wow, its faster in term of turning , i driven with and with out it. So i u get a chance to get one from 2010+ LSD get your hands on it asap
Old 02-06-15, 11:47 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blitz_714
U wont feel any different from normal driving unless you do a 360 burn out but on the track or canyon driving is totally oh wow, its faster in term of turning , i driven with and with out it. So i u get a chance to get one from 2010+ LSD get your hands on it asap
Cool, yea still looking at a 2009 w/26k miles for $39,998 and then there is a 2011 white on white locally for $45k but that one is more than I want to spend.... but I know it has all the upgrades and is a rare combo?? Decisions
Old 02-06-15, 12:13 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no professional driver but I have hit the track a few times in my 08 and enjoyed it. I know I'm no where near able to push the car to its limits so the elsd does me just fine. That white on white would be nice! But the color combo don't make it any faster, lol! Either way you go you will be happy as the F is a great all around ride.
Old 02-06-15, 12:16 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

2011 if u can afford and test drive it hard then you know the different , meaning enter the freeway and exit hard lolz do burn out if u need too lolz
Old 02-06-15, 12:54 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kauaian
I'm no professional driver but I have hit the track a few times in my 08 and enjoyed it. I know I'm no where near able to push the car to its limits so the elsd does me just fine. That white on white would be nice! But the color combo don't make it any faster, lol! Either way you go you will be happy as the F is a great all around ride.
True lol it doesn't make it faster but was reading on the production thread about how many were produced over the IS F run and I think on the second to last page someone said that Lexus told him that of the 2011 MY on 31 were produced with the white on white option Pretty rare if that's the case....

Edit here is the link somebody quoted him at post#120
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eleased-8.html

Originally Posted by blitz_714
2011 if u can afford and test drive it hard then you know the different , meaning enter the freeway and exit hard lolz do burn out if u need too lolz
That would be kind of cool wouldn't it wonder what the salesperson would do? Either love it or make him queasy!

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 02-06-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 12:56 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to push a stock everything 08 IS-F to it's "RComp" limits and it was just fine with me. If I had a true LSD like on my BMW Race Car then the car would be even faster.

My only gripe about the IS-F on the track is the weight. She doesn't hide it very well.

Old 02-06-15, 01:02 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^ Cool pics! Sounds like the eLSD only really shows it's limitations on the track or at would you say 8-9/10th driving?

I like your wheels, what are they (sizes, offsets, tires etc...)?
Old 02-06-15, 01:15 PM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^ Cool pics! Sounds like the eLSD only really shows it's limitations on the track or at would you say 8-9/10th driving?

I like your wheels, what are they (sizes, offsets, tires etc...)?
I was at 9/10ths in the ISF. I'm at only 7/10ths in my race car and it destroys my IS-F The wheels I have are Vossen knockoffs.

They are STR-607's

Front: 19 x 8.5 +35
Rear: 19 x 10 +30
Old 02-06-15, 01:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LSD in the 2010s and up is absolutely worth it in my opinion. I test drove some of the earlier cars and they didnt feel the same. It was subtle.....but I am sensitive and I tend to drive aggressively in my F even on the street. You will feel it making hard tight turns or fast U turns. It shaved 2 seconds on the track with the Lexus techs. 2 seconds is HUGE !! on the track. I guess it depends on how much track time you want to do and how important to you to have the max performance. For me I bought a 2010 to avoid the 08-09 teething issues and to get the LSD.
Old 02-06-15, 03:24 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
True lol it doesn't make it faster but was reading on the production thread about how many were produced over the IS F run and I think on the second to last page someone said that Lexus told him that of the 2011 MY on 31 were produced with the white on white option Pretty rare if that's the case....

Edit here is the link somebody quoted him at post#120
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eleased-8.html

That would be kind of cool wouldn't it wonder what the salesperson would do? Either love it or make him queasy!
Oh sweet! I thought that I was the only one with the SFP/White combo. I still feel elite.
Old 02-06-15, 03:27 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I was able to push a stock everything 08 IS-F to it's "RComp" limits and it was just fine with me. If I had a true LSD like on my BMW Race Car then the car would be even faster.

My only gripe about the IS-F on the track is the weight. She doesn't hide it very well.

Get a set of penskes and you won't know the weight is there

Quick Reply: How does the 08/09 MY IS F's do on the track with the elsd?