IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

"Oil Maintenance Required Soon"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 04:41 AM
Latebraker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Oil Maintenance Required Soon"

Have my maintenace reminder set at 10K and it shows that I have 5.6K left but started getting "Oil Maintenance Required Soon" warning. Is the factory oil change interval set at 5K or is there something else I should be considering?

Before you blast me....Yes,I did a search.
Old 02-05-15, 06:03 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes factory oil change interval is every 5K. are you using full synthetic oil? if so, i believed they are good up to 10K. you can set the interval in your navi.
Old 02-05-15, 06:32 AM
Latebraker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Am using full synthetic. Basis of question is that I have the interval set in my navi at 10K with 5.6K remaining but just started getting the warning.
Old 02-05-15, 06:43 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

I was curious about this too, I wasn't sure if it detected dirty oil, low oil levels, or if it was just a preset reminder that goes off every 5 k miles?
Old 02-05-15, 06:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

probably preset reminder based on mileage. Can double check dipstick if you want to ensure everything
Old 02-05-15, 07:33 AM
yjk1975
Pole Position

Do a search on how to reset it.
Old 02-05-15, 07:50 AM
Latebraker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yjk1975
Do a search on how to reset it.
Thanks. I know how to do that. Doesn't really answer my question though.
Old 02-05-15, 08:49 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The navigation setting has no effect on when the reminder light comes on in the dash
Old 02-05-15, 09:24 AM
Latebraker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by streetx
The navigation setting has no effect on when the reminder light comes on in the dash
OK. Thanks! Now we are getting somewhere. Is the reminder light simply a 5K interval or are there other factors that cause the light to come on? My previous M3 factored in other variables (engine speed, temps, etc.) to determine recommended oil change frequencies.
Old 02-05-15, 10:17 AM
RedlineAZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Latebraker
OK. Thanks! Now we are getting somewhere. Is the reminder light simply a 5K interval or are there other factors that cause the light to come on? My previous M3 factored in other variables (engine speed, temps, etc.) to determine recommended oil change frequencies.
+1, this is what I want to know too!
Old 02-05-15, 05:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was always under impression it was automatically set by the tech for 5k. Even if you set the setting in the nav to 10 for oil it will still go off. I have had an GS350, LS460, and ISF and they all do this. Its like the navi setting is for you only.

What Im saying is I dont think you can set it to anything other than 5k. Not sure because I NEVER let anyone but the dealership touch my cars for service. In the past if I used better oil or wanted to go longer I would do the routine to turn off the light, but 99% of the time the car is at the dealership every 5k miles. In fact now with track days Im going closer to 4k between oil changes. Because the dealership is so close to my office, always better to change it more frequently anyway, and I get a loaner , I've been doing 5k intervals. My wife's Sienna goes in at 10 intervals. Would be nice .

Does the dealership use synthetic on our cars??
Old 02-05-15, 05:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Latebraker
The Lexus system is no where near as advanced.
Old 02-06-15, 04:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The Lexus system is no where near as advanced.
Lexus doesn't pay for oil changes. BMW and Mercedes do. So they run the oil as long as they can without the engine self destructing under warranty. There are lots of pictures of BMWs with massive oil failure issues on the web. Just another reason I would not buy a used one, and I would not listen to their service interval suggestions. I'd do the same thing I do now- send samples to Blackstone for analysis and figure out what interval is best for my climate and driving style.

The maintenance reminder in the instrument cluster is a simple mileage countdown from 5000 when it is reset. The maintenance reminder you access through the navigation system has no bearing whatsoever on the one in the instrument cluster. I reset the instrument cluster reminder without ever thinking about it, and only pay attention to the reminder I set for myself in the nav system.
Old 02-06-15, 05:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Lexus doesn't pay for oil changes. BMW and Mercedes do. So they run the oil as long as they can without the engine self destructing under warranty. There are lots of pictures of BMWs with massive oil failure issues on the web. Just another reason I would not buy a used one, and I would not listen to their service interval suggestions. I'd do the same thing I do now- send samples to Blackstone for analysis and figure out what interval is best for my climate and driving style.
people did their own analysis on the BMW forums and found out they really needed to be changed much earlier than BMWs official interval. Now the V8TT has a big "recall" where they halved the oil interval and increased capacity by 1qt because they got cheap with the included oil changes and now its costing them many thousands of dollars per vehicle to repair. They have already revised the F30 oil intervals to 10k for 2014+. Its obvious what is happening

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-06-15 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 01:46 AM
RNISF
Rookie

Its a preset light for 5000mi oil change intervals. It comes on at 4500mi indicating a change is needed soon, then at 5000mi will stay on saying maintenance required. What you set in the nav screen is irrelevant to the settings that are preset.

Quick Reply: "Oil Maintenance Required Soon"