IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dash Cam installation Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 06:11 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just ordered a blackvue DR530 (front and rear camera), the cheaper predecessor to the DR550 which has GPS. I figured if you're in an accident, what good would the GPS function provide if you've already captured the accident. Also nabbed the power magic pro to hardwire/run it for 6 hours or 11.8v before it shuts off. Should be here in 2-3 weeks straight from Korea!
Old 02-04-15, 02:00 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by revolut1on
I have a Blackvue DR-650GW. Great cam, and yes the rear only records in 720P HD. But my tint is so dark in the rear that it doesn't really make a difference cause the image quality is going to be too dark anyways. I have the rear cam in there just for the sake of capturing some action, and don't count on it capturing any license plates. But in bright enough condition's it does capture plates.

if you want Full HD 1080P front and rear and don't mind a big *** display then get one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5de7zgUhOI

I have it hardwired into the car and to do this you need one of these. This will allow you to use the camera's parking feature that records in standby when the car's ignition is off:

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collect...c-pro-blackvue

There are 3 wires. Earth, Power and ACC. For earth I just tapped it up to some metal. Power I hooked it up to the power seats fuse. As for ACC, there is a direct fuse for ACC. The fuse box is a very small white box under the drivers side dash.

This is a good video outlining tapping into the fuse box and how to run wiring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seyOjGDxvqs

Thanks for the info,

Now I was looking at getting the power magic pro but the Cowon camera says that it gives you the settings to set your voltage setting so if the battery is running low it can automatically shut down.

I am still confused on what to set the voltage to, either through the power magic pro or through the camera itself.

Does anyone have more details on what voltage is a safe voltage to set the camera to shut off at?
Old 02-04-15, 02:52 AM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Defratos
Thanks for the info,

Now I was looking at getting the power magic pro but the Cowon camera says that it gives you the settings to set your voltage setting so if the battery is running low it can automatically shut down.

I am still confused on what to set the voltage to, either through the power magic pro or through the camera itself.

Does anyone have more details on what voltage is a safe voltage to set the camera to shut off at?
The power magic pro's lowest voltage setting is 11.8V before cut off.

However in my older cam setup it would go down to 11.3V and that is probably the lowest you should go as a saftey net. At 11.3V cut off my car did crank a little weak so I wouldn't suggest going any lower than that.
Old 02-04-15, 08:55 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Got a link or a pic to the one you used?
I purchased these "Add a fuse":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATM-LOW-PROF...E:L:OC:US:3160

Also Lukas voltage cutoff device, I think I have set mine to 11.8V:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Express...E:L:OC:US:3160

It's pretty simple on what needs to go where and which fuses to tap, but here is what my setup looks like:

Video sample of what can be captured. I have the Lukas LK-7900 ACE for 2 years now.

Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam installation Suggestions-img_8507.jpg   Dash Cam installation Suggestions-img_8509.jpg   Dash Cam installation Suggestions-img_8510.jpg  

Last edited by itsmike177; 02-04-15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 11:39 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by revolut1on
The power magic pro's lowest voltage setting is 11.8V before cut off.

However in my older cam setup it would go down to 11.3V and that is probably the lowest you should go as a saftey net. At 11.3V cut off my car did crank a little weak so I wouldn't suggest going any lower than that.
Thanks for the info.

What voltage would you recommend I set my cut off to if I don't want to risk having a weak crank? I don't necessarily need the camera for parking mode but I just want it hard wired instead of through a cig lighter.

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I purchased these "Add a fuse":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATM-LOW-PROF...E:L:OC:US:3160

Also Lukas voltage cutoff device, I think I have set mine to 11.8V:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Express...E:L:OC:US:3160

It's pretty simple on what needs to go where and which fuses to tap, but here is what my setup looks like:

Video sample of what can be captured. I have the Lukas LK-7900 ACE for 2 years now.

event 20150201 133351 - YouTube
Thanks for the links

So you have the the camera connected to the Lukas voltage cutoff device and that is connected to the add a fuse correct?

also Why do you have "2 add a fuses" connected?

Finally would I need to buy a separate fuse to add to the "add a fuse"? or can I simply just put 1 fuse in (the one I've taken out of it's original location?)

Last edited by Defratos; 02-04-15 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 12:01 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

What voltage would you recommend I set my cut off to if I don't want to risk having a weak crank? I don't necessarily need the camera for parking mode but I just want it hard wired instead of through a cig lighter.

Thanks for the links

So you have the the camera connected to the Lukas voltage cutoff device and that is connected to the add a fuse correct?

also Why do you have "2 add a fuses" connected?

Finally would I need to buy a separate fuse to add to the "add a fuse"? or can I simply just put 1 fuse in (the one I've taken out of it's original location?)
The voltage cutoff of 11.8V has worked for me the past 2 years with parking mode and still on the original car battery. Some people might differ, but it has been working for me.

Lukas voltage cutoff device has a cigarette socket which you connect the camera into with the supplied power cable. The cutoff device has 3 wires, 1 for ground, 1 for ACC (power off when car turned off), and 1 for always on power. Yes, you will need 2 fuses total to insert into the "add a fuse" so will need to purchase extra fuses.
Old 02-04-15, 12:24 PM
Defratos
Racer

^ Perfect answered all my questions, thanks for the help really appreciate it
Old 02-04-15, 07:47 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsmike177
The voltage cutoff of 11.8V has worked for me the past 2 years with parking mode and still on the original car battery. Some people might differ, but it has been working for me.

Lukas voltage cutoff device has a cigarette socket which you connect the camera into with the supplied power cable. The cutoff device has 3 wires, 1 for ground, 1 for ACC (power off when car turned off), and 1 for always on power. Yes, you will need 2 fuses total to insert into the "add a fuse" so will need to purchase extra fuses.
Did you just shove the wires under the headliner or remove it?
Old 02-04-15, 08:07 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pie
Did you just shove the wires under the headliner or remove it?
Yes, the power cable is pretty long so i shoved it into the headliner pretty deep. I'm sure it can be yanked out of the headliner, but it's in there pretty good and so far so good for 2 years. Routed the power cable down the A-pillar. The A-pillar cover just pops off so you can route it behind the airbag down to the passenger fuse box. I used plastic tie wraps to secure the power cables in the A-pillar.