IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The stock ML audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-15, 04:57 PM
kevintari
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The stock ML audio system

Is it me, or is it a bit underwhelming for a "premium" sound system?

Is there anything you guys are adding to the OEM head unit to give it a little more OOMF?
Old 01-31-15, 08:14 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The ML system doesn't have a whole lot of bass but it should be noted that bass is one of the cheapest sounds to synthesize.

If you really want to hear the system at its best, play a DVD. You'll hear the quality surround sound right away.
Old 01-31-15, 08:30 PM
yjk1975
Pole Position

It sucks big time.
Old 01-31-15, 11:27 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

I have to carry a little jam box around with me all the time if I want to hear some tunes with volume.
Old 01-31-15, 11:46 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The ML system in my IS-F is probably one of the worst systems I've heard.

The base system in my IS350 blew it away, I often wondered if there was something wrong with my system since I heard such rave reviews about the ML but I listened to another IS-F with ML upgrade and it sounds equally crappy. Just awful...

I have an Infinity basslink in my F to add some of the missing lows the system seem to completely lack, but now the mids and highs sucks so bad also..
Old 02-01-15, 03:36 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with all the comments above. I'm on my 2nd F and had the same results...definitely with DVD's the sound is well balanced, with music is a different story. What I been doing is leaving the mid levels midway. The bass and treble adjust the levels all the way up. The quality sound really comes out. The only problem is that you won't be able to listen to the volume loudly. Depending on the music, this when the bass and treble can be adjusted down a bit. I found that turning the mids more than halfway really eats into the bass. It does bring out more ambient sound but it isn't worth it. I too would like to know what subtle additions we could add to get more sound. They definitely stepped it up in the RC F, all the levels were adjusted midway for bass, mids, and treble and that ML sounded really good. Just like in my IS250 and 350 when I had them.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 02-01-15 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-01-15, 04:29 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

My previous IS 250 sounded better, even my wife noticed it. Well my rear SUB went kaposh, so I added a pair of 12's in the trunk with amp. sounds too loud for my taste, but its all good.
Old 02-01-15, 12:39 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
The ML system doesn't have a whole lot of bass but it should be noted that bass is one of the cheapest sounds to synthesize.

If you really want to hear the system at its best, play a DVD. You'll hear the quality surround sound right away.
Thats funny, when I first got mine, the dealer played a movie....system sounded amazing, but with music it sucked bawls. I couldnt take it and went aftermarket on everything.
Old 02-01-15, 03:04 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a JL 10“ sub powered by an Alpine amp pushing 250W rms and the system sounds very good. It needed the subwoofer though.

I haven't once tried watching a DVD in there.
Old 02-01-15, 04:24 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Thats funny, when I first got mine, the dealer played a movie....system sounded amazing, but with music it sucked bawls. I couldnt take it and went aftermarket on everything.
Haha. Well movies do sound good with the system but any DVD audio will do. Try some concerts, maybe like the Eagles; their DTS master audio is amazing. You'll find that type of audio has enough bass.
Old 02-01-15, 04:24 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

The standard audio setup requires some tweaking but even with this it may be unacceptable to some people. It's also tough to tweak for all genres of music. I can't remember my exact bass/treble settings, but I do know that I push my fade about 3 steps to the back speakers. That helps.

I'm a hardcore studio/audio guy and I rate the system from a range of "outstanding" to "acceptable." The latter for a good deal of mp3 sources. The former for DTS/DD5.1 sources.

Keep in mind the ML supports this in its truest form, and depending on the mix, can sound astonishing.

My favorite all time DTS mix is "The Who - The Kids Are Alright" 2003 DVD. The DVD contains live 16 track recordings mixed phenomenally. Other recommendations for those interested are Pink Floyd - Pulse (track of note: "One of These Days"), Rammstein - Volkerball (track of note: "Benzin"), any Steely Dan DTS/DD5.1 mix ("Aja - Making of" is a great one), Nirvana Unplugged DTS (track of note: "Pennyroyal Tea"), and The Doors - LA Woman 5.1 DVDA. Jim on the title track is brilliant, and you can practically hear the echo of the bathroom he's singing in. DVDA is hard to find, but the ML makes digging out some old DVDs worth it.

I've shocked every single person interested with the DTS "Baba O'Reilly" from the first disc I mentioned in my ML. Anyone who has heard it has said it's the "best car stereo they've ever heard."

Don't waste time with anything upmixed to 5.1 from stereo. Also remember that DTS/DD5.1 is only as good as its mix. If it sounds like ***** in the (properly configured) house, it'll sound like ***** in the ML.

You'll need to go to your ML audio options every time you load a dvd to ensure the proper mix is selected. Also, beatsonic hacks are recommended along with bluetooth expansions mentioned in my signature if you have an earlier F like me.

It isn't any good for bumping serious bass (although The Prodigy - Fat of the Land bumps hard and brilliant), but those interested in multichannel or those interested in 96KHZ symphony SHOULD not be disappointed.

Now if I could only get Lexus to fix my broken sub under CPO....
Old 02-01-15, 07:31 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j3ff
Haha. Well movies do sound good with the system but any DVD audio will do. Try some concerts, maybe like the Eagles; their DTS master audio is amazing. You'll find that type of audio has enough bass.
Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
The standard audio setup requires some tweaking but even with this it may be unacceptable to some people. It's also tough to tweak for all genres of music. I can't remember my exact bass/treble settings, but I do know that I push my fade about 3 steps to the back speakers. That helps.

I'm a hardcore studio/audio guy and I rate the system from a range of "outstanding" to "acceptable." The latter for a good deal of mp3 sources. The former for DTS/DD5.1 sources.

Keep in mind the ML supports this in its truest form, and depending on the mix, can sound astonishing.

My favorite all time DTS mix is "The Who - The Kids Are Alright" 2003 DVD. The DVD contains live 16 track recordings mixed phenomenally. Other recommendations for those interested are Pink Floyd - Pulse (track of note: "One of These Days"), Rammstein - Volkerball (track of note: "Benzin"), any Steely Dan DTS/DD5.1 mix ("Aja - Making of" is a great one), Nirvana Unplugged DTS (track of note: "Pennyroyal Tea"), and The Doors - LA Woman 5.1 DVDA. Jim on the title track is brilliant, and you can practically hear the echo of the bathroom he's singing in. DVDA is hard to find, but the ML makes digging out some old DVDs worth it.

I've shocked every single person interested with the DTS "Baba O'Reilly" from the first disc I mentioned in my ML. Anyone who has heard it has said it's the "best car stereo they've ever heard."

Don't waste time with anything upmixed to 5.1 from stereo. Also remember that DTS/DD5.1 is only as good as its mix. If it sounds like ***** in the (properly configured) house, it'll sound like ***** in the ML.

You'll need to go to your ML audio options every time you load a dvd to ensure the proper mix is selected. Also, beatsonic hacks are recommended along with bluetooth expansions mentioned in my signature if you have an earlier F like me.

It isn't any good for bumping serious bass (although The Prodigy - Fat of the Land bumps hard and brilliant), but those interested in multichannel or those interested in 96KHZ symphony SHOULD not be disappointed.

yea im a non rich audiophile myself. i have tons of dvd audio and sacd stuff. the system did sound good with my dvd audio stuff, but not good with my flac files. since hi-end audio is niche, i had to clean out the whole system. I refuse to listen to mp3 in my home, same goes for my car.
Old 02-02-15, 06:17 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia

Nice repertoire of music...

I tend to agree with these comments. I have fader also adjusted to a rear bias, bass up to about 75-80%, mid at 50%, and treble around 30-40%.

I use to think that the Nakamichi system in my '98 GS400 was the best factory audio but now I think for clarity the ML in my F is actually better. The Nak still fills out the cabin like no other. I have had people in my GS rave about feeling like they are sitting at a rock concert listening to the music. With the Nakamichi volume turned up only half way it gets very loud but the sound is still very well balanced. With the ML I find I have to continually adjust tone for various sound levels especially as I turn up the volume. Regardless, the ML still has really clean sound.