IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Factory oil cooler t-stat

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 10:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
I have gotten mine to the top bar doing one hour sessions in the summer. Ive noticed that if i start shifting at 6 rather than 6800 even pushing it for an hour i never seen oil temps that high. That last 1000rpm really heats the oil
That's when the relief valve in the oil pump is working hardest.
Old 02-03-15, 03:39 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Correction made in post 19.

It is kept closed by the spring, but oil pressure forces it to open. The 3rd pic shows the t-stat, which is the wax type… The pop off valve is at the very bottom, a coil spring above it, another small shiny piece of brass above the spring, then a darker almost copper/brown colored piece, then the aluminum threads. The copper/brown piece is pushed by the wax, as it heats it extends downward compressing the spring, which leaves the pop valve no where to go. So it is sort of inverse.

The unit could be shimmed for more spring pressure. Or possibly another thermostat with lower temperature could be sourced.

Last edited by Jowett; 02-04-15 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-03-15, 11:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This would be amazing. The F needs more cooling capacity for the oil on track days.
Old 02-04-15, 06:18 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

CORRECTION. The valve does not pop off. I made a semi-novice mistake and did not measure the depth of the port in which the t-stat sits. The valve is normally open by about 6 mm. Here's what led to my mistake… the t-stat did NOT extend any further in length when heated as high as 245. The wax simply caused the the spring to be compressed as described before. The t-stat did not gain any length in order to close off the port. Perhaps it needs to go even higher in temperature? I'll check today. Weird set-up.
Old 02-04-15, 02:01 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

OK, a higher temperature is required to get the extension…. it just needed a break in run. I ran it up to 260 F, and it fully extended. It began contracting back in at about 240…. so that should give you some idea on the operating range.

Right from the manufacturer…

The Oil valve, thermoelement built-in, senses the rise in oil temperature and controls the flow of oil by closing and opening of the oil passage through the lift(movement of piston) of thermoelement. Mainly mounted in the flow circuit of engine oil(lubricant).
Oil temperature is influenced by driving conditions. For example, oil temperature exceeds 130℃ in a hot open air, high speed driving,uphill driving etc,then,sometimes deterioration of oil and malfunction of engine occurs.The engine oil cooler is installed in some case to prevent this, and direct installation to the engine tends to cause the break of oil cooler under high oil pressure due to lower oil temperature.
Therefore, in order to avoid this break a by-pass circuit is added to the oil passage and oil flows through the by-pass when oil temperature stays lower, while as it becomes higher, oil begins to flow to the oil cooler, control of which is made by the oil value built-in the by-pass circuit.
Old 02-13-15, 03:53 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

If anyone is interested, I'm working on sourcing a t-stat that is fully open by 210.
Old 02-19-15, 10:25 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

This should work.
Attached Thumbnails Factory oil cooler t-stat-tstatcomp.jpg  
Old 02-19-15, 10:52 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking Oil Cooler adapter

Check out this photo from the engine change out for the CCS-R. (Came from this site) The motor, I believe is from the new RC-F. The adapter came from some ware and probably also includes the thermostat.

I would use it if I had cooling issues. Contact the guys that use the CCS-R.

picture_php_pictureid_37178_ee6b467f399b75986b302d8fbc78e185130e2d24.jpg

Old 02-19-15, 08:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lorenr
Check out this photo from the engine change out for the CCS-R. (Came from this site) The motor, I believe is from the new RC-F. The adapter came from some ware and probably also includes the thermostat.

I would use it if I had cooling issues. Contact the guys that use the CCS-R.

picture_php_pictureid_37178_ee6b467f399b75986b302d8fbc78e185130e2d24.jpg

picure link is useless. Please post something better, I am very interested in solving this problem.
Old 02-19-15, 10:49 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Here we Go

My posting of photos is a little bit like my dancing. My cha cha is not good.

Lets get right to it:
1. Do a search of CCS-R on our forum
2. Go to "The Secret Underneath...Weapon Behind the Latest IS F CCS-R"
3. Go to page 2 post 24. Go to the photo of the front of the RC F motor.

It looks machined, but I don't think it is. I think I've seen it before. Probably a standard aftermarket part. Mount the cooler all the way forward of the radiator. If you start using this I'm guessing you'll need a trans cooler as well.
Get in touch with those CCS-R guys. They'll know.

Old 02-20-15, 03:11 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

The CCS R completely eliminated all factory installed oil coolers. It has what appears to be a simple remote filter/cooler take off plate bolted to the stock IS-F bracket. It may have had an inline t-stat on the way to whatever cooler was used.

Are the parts shown in this thread not looking to be a good solution?
Old 02-21-15, 09:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Jowett
The CCS R completely eliminated all factory installed oil coolers. It has what appears to be a simple remote filter/cooler take off plate bolted to the stock IS-F bracket. It may have had an inline t-stat on the way to whatever cooler was used.

Are the parts shown in this thread not looking to be a good solution?
Also, the CCS-R is a racecar. It may not really need a thermostat because it's never going to run at a street load for any length of time. It's either at full load, or braking at zero load only to go right back to full load. The only break the engine gets is in a long sweeper with less than full throttle. So using this approach on your street car would be disastrous from a longevity perspective. Completely different thermal load profiles.
Old 02-22-15, 03:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^^ Interestingly enough... It uses an oem radiator..

Joe Z
Old 06-09-15, 04:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

We recently developed an IS-F Oil Cooler Kit.

Regarding the thermostat, we use a Mocal Thermostat sandwich with custom adaptor. I believe the Mocal T-stat begins to open at 185F

Kit will come complete with mounting brackets, -12AN fittings & stainless braided hose, and 25 row Setrab Oil Cooler.

We track tested the setup at NJMP in May, and once the brackets are complete, we will be ready to release the kit in early July. The kit is very effective at reducing oil temps at the track, only problem is that once the oil temps were in check, we overheated the tranny fluid! We are currently testing a simple solution for that as well (custom duct for the tranny cooler).

I anticipate the retail price to be about $650 for the complete kit.

Will post some pics soon...

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-09-15 at 04:53 AM.
Old 06-09-15, 05:05 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's my input on where one could be plumbed to though using the thermostat might be a better idea for warm up purpose. I use a similar oil filter adapter from the gen1 gs300 2jzge on my 1jzgte mk3 supra, I pulled the two threaded caps off and ran two braided lines with adapter fittings to a oil cooler from the filter housing. I don't see why it couldn't be done this way.

Last edited by Justind27; 06-09-15 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory oil cooler t-stat