IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

best rear tire options

Old 01-25-15, 02:58 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best rear tire options

What are some good all around street tires that hook up decently? I have some bridgestones on the rear that are fairly new and my car fish tales dangerously when I punch it from about a 20 to 30 roll. I hate the way it slides out everywhere. my front tires are Michelin pilot super sports which I plan on getting for the rear, but just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on a tire with some better grip. I DONT TRACK MY CAR AND WILL NEVER TRACK MY CAR. just trying to find a tire that grips the street a little better and can handle the torque.
Old 01-25-15, 06:41 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're also talking low tempratures under 50 degrees. It's near impossible to get a tire to hook up with 400HP. When it's over 70 you'll be much better off. I have some Yokohama AD08's ready to go on, but they're waiting until it hits 70 degrees for that reason.
Old 01-25-15, 06:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

And your also driving a performance car! Different brands and different models of Ultra High, Max Performance or Extreme Performance tires have differing performance characteristics. The tires on your ISF, both front and rear should be the same make and model. Mis-matched tires can cause the handling anomalies you are experiencing. There is much written in this forum about owners experience with HI-Performance tires for our Fs.

Folks seems to like the Michelin PSS, The Bridgestone S-04, and the Bridgestone RE-11. Also some folks, myself included, run tires that are wider than the stock tire, both front and rear. Do a search and you'll find all you need to know. Good Luck.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-25-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-25-15, 08:05 AM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Potenza Re-11, conti DW, michilen PPS. On the track it's Toyo proxy 888 or hossier r6
Old 01-25-15, 08:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

need wider tires
Old 01-25-15, 10:49 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm now of the opinion that this type of car is heavily impacted by the type of tire it rides on. I'm of the belief it requires the highest performing street tire, not only to get the most out of it, but so it functions properly. The same holds true for any car going to better tires, but the ISF suffers more when moving to lower end tires and will perform a lot 'less' than standard. Tires drastically effect the ISF more so than any other car because of the auto tranny and TRAC technology behind it. Anything north of 400hp is a lot and easily breaks loose any tire, especially 255s(which are just skinny to me for a 400hp car). So any other cheaper performance tire(less than factory standard) will end up having TRAC Control 'constantly' kicking in(more so than often) due to LESS traction being sensed; and that would inevitably mean your ISF will feel like it has less power driving around, and that is the same as having a lot less performance all around. You might even think something is wrong with your car when it drives around town because it feels less than stock from the factory. And not just accelerating, but this would effect braking and cornering. Even worse if you turn TRAC off completely, you'll still be running a tire that is under par than factory and have less grip. For me personally, tires for the ISF is an area where you can not skimp out on because all the dam technology and sensors that get feedback from tire slip. I guess you can make up for it by going wider on a cheaper tire, but I'd just think it would be best to even go wider on a higher performance tire...which would have less technology kicking in and result in a better performing ISF than stock. Best performing tire = less TRAC control being engaged = better all around performance.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 01-25-15 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-25-15, 12:02 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Would agree with what has been said above.

I've gone with Michelin PSS and changed the rears from 255 to 275..even with this it still fishtails from time to time depending on the road.

We have very hot tempartues here, but on some roads it always fishtails and on others it's very difficult for it to loose traction.

Keep in mind that any sort of sand or dirt on the ground will increases your chances of fishtailing, it doesn't raid here so I don't know how the car handles in rain or very cold temps but I can only assume it doesn't help.
Old 01-25-15, 05:59 PM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Thanks for the input. I agree that with wider tires comes more traction. I also do want to get all 4 matching tires.i was looking at some hankook ventus for the rears before I started this thread, but now I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy the michelin pss for the rears to match my fronts.
Old 01-25-15, 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Since when were tires not the most important decision in owning a car? There are only three important things in driving a car - course, heading, and traction. Everything else is secondary. Since traction is one of the big three, doesn't it mean tire selection is critical? I mean, really, tires only affect your ability to accelerate, turn, and brake. How could they be important?

When I raced motorcycles, the easy decision was tires - what are the guys at the front running, and can I actually get those tires? Anything else was running for second place (or worse). Tires for your IS-F are no different. If you expect to extract full performance from the car, you'd better buy good tires. Period.
Old 01-25-15, 07:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The PSS will spin when they get older when they are cold. Every time I launch my car right after leaving the office I get wheel spin. A mile or two later I could try and she hooks up. Lower road surface temps will make a difference. I am thinking about the RE11 but after seeing what the PSS could do 75% worn at the track yesterday I think I may stick with the PSS and try RE11 later if needed. Even GTRs, Porsches, and Vipers at the track yesterday were running the PSS. I have yet to see a car at the track with the RE11. When I see street tires at the track they are usually PSS.
Old 01-25-15, 08:11 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been on a track quite a bit with the re-11. It's a great tire, not saying the pps isn't but they are both direct competitors
Old 01-25-15, 08:30 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

I just had to get a set of tires for my front because i had hankook v12 ventus and one of them , just got bad , w no more than 6000 miles on it!!! What Piece of garbage!!'also very noisy , the grip was ok, but also here in pr they are way overpriced by the distribuitor.

Pilot sport they didnt have the set at the moment , price was good though!
One of my budy distributes nitto here i ended w a good dealer price and availability with a set of nitto invo. So far im happyw them they feel great an road nois is almos gone im happy w them
Old 01-26-15, 05:44 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lifethinkr
Thanks for the input. I agree that with wider tires comes more traction. I also do want to get all 4 matching tires.i was looking at some hankook ventus for the rears before I started this thread, but now I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy the michelin pss for the rears to match my fronts.
I just put on set of PSS on mine last week. 245s in the front, 285s in the rear. Huge difference in feel above stock.

Where in TX are you?
Old 01-26-15, 08:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^What size 285s? The PSS doesn't come in the proper height - 285/30/19 size.

Lou
Old 01-26-15, 11:11 AM
lifethinkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I just put on set of PSS on mine last week. 245s in the front, 285s in the rear. Huge difference in feel above stock.

Where in TX are you?
Im in Fort Worth. are you getting any rubbing from the 285's? I think I will go with 275s for rear and 245s for front. But the price. OUCH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best rear tire options