IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

what to do..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 05:46 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default what to do..

I know its my car and I have always built my cars for me but I am just curious what others would do. So here's the story. I have been purchasing cf goodies, lips and splitters to put on the car. They have been sitting in my garage waiting an install along with a set of springs. Just haven't had time to install anything, weather is crappy, my son was born, and lack of some tools I needed.
So this passed weekend there was an event up in Hilton head island, sc kinda like a cars and coffee event. I had got my dad interested to go, it was a chance to pull his z06 out of the garage. Then I found out that some people from his work were going. So we all met up and caravanned into the meet. While on the way up there I realized that there was a lit of HP in the group of cars I was in, modded super snake, heavily modded g8, z06, brand new vette, missed srt8 300, me and a modded mustang gt. I felt slow compared to some of the other cars, mainly the first 4 I listed lol, and we were just crusing...so it go me thinking. I could sell the cf parts and a few more things and it should put me around the ball park for a used set of headers. I have a full borla cat back and I dd my f. So what would y'all do? Again just curious to see what others would do.
Old 01-21-15, 06:13 PM
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would 100% sell all that appearance crap and get headers.
Old 01-21-15, 06:15 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really want a faster car, get a faster car.

If headers will do, I'd definitely opt for them over lips and splitters...
Old 01-21-15, 06:49 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like a lot of guys on here I have headers and exhaust and it does really wake up the car. That being said u will not be able to run with modded Super Snakes and Z06 Vettes even with all bolt ons for the F. Also taking the F to a Cars and Coffee always makes my car feel slower. So many ridiculous cars there, I need to win the lottery😀
Old 01-21-15, 07:16 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

And F won't keep up with those cars even with headers cruising around and doing street pulls. Get out on a road corse and it will be more fun than all those cars short of the z06. Nitrous and headers will get you back in the scene in the 1/4
Old 01-21-15, 08:00 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
I would 100% sell all that appearance crap and get headers.
I tend to concur.
Old 01-21-15, 08:07 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like headers but I couldn't live with them on my daily driver the extra HP would be nice but it still doesn't allow you to hang with modded muscle cars.
Old 01-21-15, 09:13 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Headers/suspension mods over aesthetics. I wish I never did the reverse
Regardless, those cars will be faster with you, unless you install nitrous which is "pseudo-hp" since it's short-lived.
I say headers, exhaust, coils, lsd, poly bushings, and tear up a road course.
Can't forget to mention brake pads, brake fluid, tires...
fun is expensive!
Old 01-21-15, 09:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The CF goodies are cool to look at, but who has time to look when you're picking up speed and giving yourself that grin that you wanted when you first bought the car?

I will say this, I modded my car with an intention to have both a nice look and more performance feel to it. I just chose pieces of both aesthetics and performance over time and am putting them together. There's nothing wrong with having CF parts on a car, but if your ultimate goal is added power, then personally, what I would do is keep the CF parts and just save up for headers.

It won't just be headers you'll need to worry about once you gain some more ponies. As JDMV8 mentioned, brake pads, tires, and the such are all subsequent to using the car more for its performance intent. Then maybe (just maybe) you'll want to venture to autocross and HPDE days. It really just depends on what you want to do with the car. You have the CF goodies- who is to say you won't want to put them on later? They're already paid for, and it's not the worst thing to have some nice looking parts.
Old 01-22-15, 04:22 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Well I never said I wanted to be able to keep up with those guys. I am perfectly happy with the power the car pushes, this is the fastest/most HP car I've ever had. That being said I wouldn't mind squeezing out the extra power. I don't plan in tracking the car unless I go to the drag strip, hell haven't been there in almost 6 years and the f to my knowledge has never seen a track.
Old 01-22-15, 08:05 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

To answer your question, OP...

Old 01-22-15, 08:07 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

rmaybe you should trade your car for a high performance vehicle...maybe a super car...gtr maybe?
Old 01-22-15, 08:51 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Gtr would be nice but completely out of the question. Never thought I would say this before this car but the 4 doors is nice. Besides asking the wife if I can spend money on the car is about as hard as convincing a grand jury that you didn't murder someone when 20 people saw you and they have dna haha
Old 01-22-15, 09:18 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

maybe GS F? or even M5 you might consider, if four door is your preference.
Old 01-22-15, 11:05 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sikky headers + borla exhaust and dd my car.. its definitely not too loud and I find it very acceptable on gas mileage.

One thing I haven't found an answer to is if I really want the added gas fumes (since I'm catless). I try to avoid it by leaving the windows up but I can still smell it in the cabin too. If you and your kids don't mind smelling it constantly then it won't be a problem for you

Quick Reply: what to do..